I set up my Shaw modem last week. It is very noisy. Our k...

Kros
Grasshopper

I set up my Shaw modem last week. It is very noisy. Our kitchen area is open where modem is. I can still hear it 30 feet away in the den. I t sounds like a fridge running. Very annoying to say the least. Will give it some more time. Hope Shaw has fix for this. Try new unit ???

-- see another thread in this discussion forum, for sugge...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kros -- see another thread in this discussion forum, for suggestions of alternative cable-modems.

The fan-noise from the BlueCurve is a common complaint on this forum.  Some people have replaced it (same model, but different serial-number) and have gotten a "less-noisy" one.

Just got off Chat with them. Told me that it was only run...

Rocketcoffin
Grasshopper

Just got off Chat with them. Told me that it was only running at 70%. I can't imagine how loud any higher would be. It's bad hardware, and Shaw doesn't seem to care about our experience. 

-- In another thread on this forum, I replied to your pos...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rocketcoffin -- In another thread on this forum, I replied to your post in that thread.

0 Kudos

Hi I have also received a new modem from Shaw, XB6 modem,...

samanthagreen
Grasshopper

Hi I have also received a new modem from Shaw, XB6 modem, and the constant humming noise is very annoying.  Our last modem from shaw did not make any noise.  I may need to find another internet provider, as there are many options out there now.  We should not have to make things work for Shaw and put up with constant noise, I have to turn it off at night to get relief from the noise. Shaw should be made aware and support their customers, so they are satisfied.

-- youhave at least 3 options: upgrade to a Shaw Busines...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@samanthagreen -- youhave at least 3 options:

• upgrade to a Shaw Business account, to get a "fan-less" Hitron cable-modem/router that has 4 ports, and goes up to "Fibre+ Gig" speed.
  • wait for the brand-new XB7 cable-modem/router to be rolled-out in your region, and hope that it is quieter.
  • see if you can "downgrade" to the previous (silent?) cable-modem/router.

Good luck!

-- another option: place the XB6 in another room, and pla...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@samanthagreen -- another option: place the XB6 in another room, and place an XI6 in your preferred location, and hope that the XI6 is quieter, and that it can get a strong WiFi signal from the XB6.

0 Kudos

It is annoying I cannot carry on with it, I will be looki...

Mexicobo
Grasshopper

It is annoying I cannot carry on with it, I will be looking for a new router. The speed shows good but all of our computers have slowed down alot when it comes to programs being run.

0 Kudos

-- I will be looking for a new router. Shaw is offering...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mexicobo -- I will be looking for a new router.

Shaw is offering the "XB7" to customers in Calgary. Watch for them to "roll-out" this box to your region.

> ... all of our computers have slowed down a lot when it comes to programs being run.

That might be a totally-different problem -- not at all related to the new modem.

0 Kudos

It is now April 13, 2021 and we just recently went with S...

Canadian_Couple
Grasshopper

It is now April 13, 2021 and we just recently went with Shaw and after having problems with poor range for the WiFi (basement - central location in a 1200 square foot home), Shaw moved the modem to the main floor. Didn't notice the constant humming noise until it was moved closer to our daily living area. Day time - the common house noises drown it out  - however at night when all is quiet, the constant hum of the fans can be quite annoying.

The tech that came down was aware of the fluctuating WiFi range and stated that it may be due to the unit switching (or searching) back and forth between 2.4 and 5 GHz.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help