-- Shaw moved the modem to the main floor Can you move it...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Canadian_Couple -- Shaw moved the modem to the main floor

Can you move it back to the basement, and add a Shaw Fibre+ WiFi Pod  extender on the main floor?

Preferably, do not locate the extender vertically above (one floor higher) than the cable-modem, because the modem's WiFi signal is weakest at that location.

0 Kudos

Please send us a direct message with your account informa...

shaw-daniel

@Canadian_Couple Please send us a direct message with your account information, and we'll see what other remedies are available.

0 Kudos

Most likely that would be an option, however the tech tha...

Canadian_Couple
Grasshopper

Most likely that would be an option, however the tech that attended the house said that the cost of renting one would be my burden.

I switched over to Shaw because of the special promotion they had (cost saving over what I was paying M.T.S/Bell) and through adding costs on items such as the WiFi pod extenders, the promotion starts to loose its significance. If Shaw is willing to absorb the cost of the WiFi pod extender, ( as a customer satisfaction issue) then yes, certainly, I would entertain having the modem moved back to the original location (central basement location) where it was originally installed.

0 Kudos

--  the cost of renting one would be my burden Correct....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Canadian_Couple --  the cost of renting one would be my burden

Correct.  How much per month? Of course, you can purchase a third-party WiFi extender, for a one-time cost. You'll have to "do the math" -- over how many months will you amortize the purchase-price, to "break-even".

0 Kudos

-- I forgot to add: if you rent a Shaw WiFi extender for...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Canadian_Couple  -- I forgot to add: if you rent a Shaw WiFi extender for a one month period, and try it, then you can return it, and purchase a third-party WiFi extender, knowing that it will also be a solution for you.

0 Kudos

Your message states; Send "US" a direct message. I am pre...

Canadian_Couple
Grasshopper

Your message states;

Send "US" a direct message. I am presuming that you mean Send "me" a direct message.

When I click on the "direct message" link it takes me to twitter (which I neither use nor am familiar with". Viewing your profile, I note that you "Daniel" have only been a member for 3 weeks and have made 2 postings (both requesting account information from users.)

Sorry but at this point I am not comfortable sharing personal information with a person that I am not familiar with.

I agree. It's not actually the sound of the fan although...

JaBro
Grasshopper

I agree. It's not actually the sound of the fan although that is loud as well but there is an high frequency noise that actually gives me a headache. Im scheming about putting it in some kind of container to muffle the noise, which might reduce the wifi range. Or I just turn it off. Oh for simpler times.

0 Kudos

-- I'm scheming about putting it in some kind of containe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JaBro -- I'm scheming about putting it in some kind of container to muffle the noise, which might reduce the WiFi range

Be sure that the container does not greatly reduce the air-flows that cool the device.

I saw a YouTube video where they surrounded a computer with bean-bag cushions, and then measured only 26 decibels -- very quiet.

If the WiFi signal can penetrate solid walls inside your home, it can easily penetrate those cushions, with no loss of signal-strength.

0 Kudos

-- "Daniel" has only been a member for 3 weeks I see: Mem...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Canadian_Couple -- "Daniel" has only been a member for 3 weeks

I see: Member Since 2021-03-26

Also, I see a "tag" of MODERATOR, not "Grasshopper" nor "Master" nor "Grandmaster".

While it's good to be aware of scammers, I doubt that "Daniel" is one.

You could send a D.M. to Shaw-Tony or Shaw-Valerie, who are well-known to be Shaw employees, asking them to contact "Daniel".

Hi there. Perhaps he means that you should use the My Sha...

JDC53
Grasshopper

Hi there. Perhaps he means that you should use the My Shaw app and sign into your account. From there you can select the online chat feature. You can select the option to speak to a live agent. Good luck! I have the noisy modem too and it is very annoying 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help