Annoying noise!!!

AlineFonseca
Grasshopper

Annoying noise!!!

0 Kudos

-- so far, the only "solution" has been to replace your X...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AlineFonseca -- so far, the only "solution" has been to replace your XB6 BlueCurve by the new XB7 BlueCurve. Shaw seems to give the XB7 to all current customers upgrading to the Shaw Internet Fibre+ Gig (or Gig 1.5) level of service.  Also, a recent promotion to non-Shaw customers is the XB7 with Shaw Internet Fibre+ 500 service.

The XB7 does not have a fan.  So, no "noise" from it.

0 Kudos

I talked to Shaw about that but then they want to charge...

GeoMug
Grasshopper

I talked to Shaw about that but then they want to charge significantly more. Terrible solution. If it such a known problem they should replace for free!

0 Kudos

-- I talked to Shaw about that but then they want to char...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@GeoMug -- I talked to Shaw about that but then they want to charge significantly more.

How much more?

Of course, upgrading to a faster speed will cost you more.

I had a Two-Year Value plan that was scheduled to expire on June 2, 2021. Back in February, Shaw contacted me, to offer me an "early" renewal, and an opportunity to upgrade (faster speed, newest XB7 modem). I chose to renew the services (TV/Internet/Phone) that I already had. My new monthly fee is only 2% more than the Value Plan created in June 2019. Also, they did not increase my monthly fee for the remaining months (March, April, May) of the contract.

So, how many months left in your current Two-Year Value Plan? Shaw contacted me, with over 4 months left on my contract. They may be contacting you, at some "early" date. One can always hope. 🙂

0 Kudos

Thank you for replaying. I saw another comment that Shaw...

AlineFonseca
Grasshopper

Thank you for replaying. I saw another comment that Shaw is charging an amount for the upgrade, but in my opinion they are offering a modem witch has noise problem and they have to provide a solution, a new modem of sure, doesn’t matter if has higher level of service. 😣

0 Kudos

Agreed! I switched over to Shaw from Bell yesterday. Plac...

Paul701
Grasshopper

Agreed!

I switched over to Shaw from Bell yesterday. Placed the modem in my kitchen above the cabinets and it is louder than my fridge and I can hear it over my dishwasher (which is quiet). 

I work from home and I am at the kitchen island at 5AM for my quiet time, but this has been disrupted with this unsteady loud hum in the background. 

We even put some holes in the kitchen wall to get it to run wires to this central location. Will have to put in basement which is not what I wanted. 

VERY DISAPPOINTED. 

0 Kudos

-- some contributors on this forum have said that putting...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Paul701 -- some contributors on this forum have said that putting the device where it can get extra flow of room-temperature air into the device, e.g., sit it on a "cooling-pad" (2 or 4 fans to force air into the modem's intake vents) that is commonly placed underneath a hard-working laptop, helps reduce the fan-noise.  You could try a few opened 12-egg cartons as a fence around the device, but not too placed too close, to muffle the noise, without impairing the device's WiFi signal-strength. Or, get Shaw to upgrade you to the fan-less XB7 device.

Some friends, on Telus, got a promotional message from Shaw, offering them "Fibre+ 500" and the new XB7 modem, if they, like you, switched to Shaw. As a bonus, the monthly fee was lower than what they offer to current Shaw Internet customers.

As a brand-new Shaw customer, you really should "push" to get the XB7.

0 Kudos

if the range is not good in the basement, you have 10 buy...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

if the range is not good in the basement, you have 10 buyer remorse to cancel

0 Kudos

Thanks for you reply. The sales guys pushed me hard to ge...

Paul701
Grasshopper

Thanks for you reply. The sales guys pushed me hard to get me to change over....now its my turn. : )

Appreciate your advice. 

0 Kudos

so you going to try it in the basement or going to bell....

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

so you going to try it in the basement or going to bell.  are they good and no problems ith their modems.  no problem anytime, shaw modem are crap.  or are you going to get xb7?  for no charge?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help