Office 365 - using the larger mail store

Microfiche62
Grasshopper

I have purchased a Microsoft 365 subscription in the hopes of continuing to use Outlook desktop, but using the larger mail store that Office 365 offers (50 gb vs Shaw's 1 gb) I don't want to change email addresses - I have had the Shaw email for a LONG time and wish to keep it as long as possible.

So I set up an account and connected Outlook on the Web (OWA) to my Shaw email via POP3, syncing it into the default account that I have set up (same email but @outlook.com) I currently have it set to leave messages on the server while I am testing.

Set up my Outlook desktop app to connect to the new OWA account via Exchange. That works great. Shaw email gets synced to OWA and then syncs down to my Outlook app. That is currently the only account connected to the desktop app - it is NOT connected to the Shaw email directly.

In the desktop app, I copied all my folders from my local PST file that is around 4 GB and has 20 years of email in it into the @outlook.com mail account, and that synced up to the cloud, All good!

In OWA I can set a default From address and that is set to my Shaw email, so if I send email from OWA it comes from @shaw.ca and works great.

Problem is I can't do the same thing from the desktop app.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I can get emails sent from the Outlook desktop app to go through the Shaw server (using my @shaw.ca email)?

If I added the @shaw.ca email account, I could likely send email using the Shaw email, but it would also sync duplicate emails back to the Outlook app that are already coming in through syncing with OWA. I am not sure how to get around that.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

-- In OWA I can set a default From address and that is se...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Microfiche62 -- In OWA I can set a default From address and that is set to my Shaw email

Good. The message you have sent gets copied into the "Sent" folder on Shaw's mail-server.

Please try to separate "mail-transport" (using SMTP-servers) from "mail-archiving" (either the "Sent" folder on Shaw's mail-server or the mail archive on Office 365's servers).

> Problem is I can't do the same thing from the desktop app.

Which E-mail client. In the same way that you have configured the "first-name" and "last-name" fields to your names, you should be able to configure it to cite your "@shaw.ca" E-mail ID.

> Does anyone have any idea as to how I can get emails sent from the Outlook desktop app to go through the Shaw server (using my @shaw.ca email)?

Microsoft Outlook should let you configure its "outgoing SMTP-server" to be "smtp.shaw.ca", no matter what ID appears in the "From:" field that you have configured.

> If I added the @shaw.ca email account, I could likely send email using the Shaw email,

You could, if you configure Microsoft Outlook, as above, even without adding a second "identity" within Outlook.

> but it would also sync duplicate emails back to the Outlook app that are already coming in through syncing with OWA.

The message that you send will be copied into the "Sent" folder, either on Shaw's E-mail server, or into Outlook's mail-store.Any IMAP client, such as OWA, will synchronize with Shaw's mail-server, or Outlook's mail-store, to show that message in the "Sent" folder.

I'm not sure on how to store each outgoing message into the large mail-store that Microsoft 365 makes available to you.

TALK TO US
We're here to help