Jump to solution

On Line Jamming Wifi Problem

tsf
Grasshopper

The question was asked previously and the answer is at the bottom. This is a follow up to the discussion. I restarted a new link as the old one did not let me reply.

Original question.

The room that I want to jam from is upstairs so I can't run a wire from the BlueCurve modem to the computer. The upstairs room does have a cable outlet that is currently used for the phone modem. The modem does not have an Ethernet port so I can't plug into it.  Is there a way to use the cable port on the wall (currently used by the phone modem) to connect to my PC?

New Question

Thank you for your input. I bought a pair of Ethernet over Power adapters and tried it out. My internet 300 gives me about 100 to the upstairs room through the Blue Curve modem. With the ethernet adapters, it dropped to 10 so I took them back to the store. I have had some suggestions that ideally it should be the same house circuit in the 2 locations or at least the circuits should be on the same side of the fuse panel. I am not sure if that is the case or not but it does not help me. Maybe I needed to get more expensive ones.
Can I just unplug my Blue Curve modem and take it to the upstairs room and plug it into the cable outlet in the upstairs room? I could then plug the computer into the modem directly and hopefully get latency that is low enough for jamming on line.
Moving the modem to the top floor could compromise the TV and internet service to the basement. But if it was easy enough to move back and forth, it might be a solution,
TSF

Original Answer

mdk

Grand Master

‎2020-12-13 09:14 PM

@tsf -- It recommends not using wifi as it increases latency and seem so cause inTerruptions.

Have you actually tried it, to verify that the latency will be a problem?

The room that I want to jam from is upstairs so I can't run a wire from the BlueCurve modem to the computer. The upstairs room does have a cable outlet that is currently used for the phone modem. The modem does not have an Ethernet port so I can't plug into it.  Is there a way to use the cable port on the wall (currently used by the phone modem) to connect to my PC?

No, but you might purchase a pair of "Ethernet-over-power" adapters, to use your house's wiring to carry the Ethernet signals.

Plug one adapter into a wall-plug near the cable-modem, and run an Ethernet cable between the modem and the adapter.

Upstairs, plug the other adapter into a convenient wall-plug, and run an Ethernet cable to your device.

> Do I have to buy a second modem to  do so?

Shaw does not sell the BlueCurve cable-modem - they only "rent" it.  However, Shaw's policy is that you would have to pay for a separate contract for a rental of a second cable-modem -- that could be expensive. From Shaw's web-site, it still seems possible to get "Internet 10" -- their lowest monthly-cost service, which might give you fast-enough "upload" speed to send your instrument's sounds -- it will be enough speed to "download" any video that is "incoming" to you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I moved the Blue Curve modem to the top floor. The TV in...

tsf
Grasshopper

I moved the Blue Curve modem to the top floor. The TV in the basement is still working fine. I did a speed test over wifi in the basement near the TV and got an amazing 220 rate from my Internet 300. standing next to the Blue Curve modem the rate was 325. It was early sunday morning when I did the test so things might slow down later but it seems to be giving adequate coverage all over the house. I will test out the on line jamming program now that I can plug a network cable directly into the modem.

Thx

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jump to solution

Do you have wireless BlueCurve TV boxes?

rstra
Grand Master

Do you have wireless BlueCurve TV boxes?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have 1 Blue Curve modem and 3 Xi6A wireless TV boxes.

tsf
Grasshopper

I have 1 Blue Curve modem and 3 Xi6A wireless TV boxes.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It wouldn’t hurt to try moving the BlueCurve modem, get a...

rstra
Grand Master

@tsf It wouldn’t hurt to try moving the BlueCurve modem, get a two way splitter and connect it with the phone modem, see it it works up there. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Moving the modem to the top floor could compromise the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tsf -- Moving the modem to the top floor could compromise the TV and internet service to the basement. 

In the basement, is the TV connected, via HDMI cable, to a Shaw TV box, and that Shaw box is connected via coaxial-cable to a coaxial wall-port, and Is that your only TV?   If so, then moving the cable-modem will not have any effect on your TV service.

>  I have had some suggestions that ideally it should be the same house circuit in the 2 locations, or at least the circuits should be on the same side of the fuse panel. I am not sure if that is the case or not ...

To determine if it is the case, flip the circuit-breaker that connects to the electrical wall-outlets in that upper room. Then, try all the electrical wall-outlets everywhere else in your house, by putting your cell-phone's recharger "brick" into each wall-outlet, and connect the brick via a wire to your cell-phone. If the cell-phone shows "recharging", that specific wall-outlet is not connected to the circuit-breaker that you flipped. 

Of course, you could flip ALL the circuit-breakers on one side of your fuse panel, to see if you now have no power to the TV and no power to the Shaw telephone adapter. If necessary, reset all those circuit-breakers, and flip ALL the circuit-breakers on the other side of your fuse panel.

As @rstra wrote, use a 1-to-2 coaxial-splitter to feed the Shaw telephone-box and the Shaw cable-modem.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

posted that he has Xi6 BlueCurve wireless boxes.

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk @tsf posted that he has Xi6 BlueCurve wireless boxes. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I moved the Blue Curve modem to the top floor. The TV in...

tsf
Grasshopper

I moved the Blue Curve modem to the top floor. The TV in the basement is still working fine. I did a speed test over wifi in the basement near the TV and got an amazing 220 rate from my Internet 300. standing next to the Blue Curve modem the rate was 325. It was early sunday morning when I did the test so things might slow down later but it seems to be giving adequate coverage all over the house. I will test out the on line jamming program now that I can plug a network cable directly into the modem.

Thx

TALK TO US
We're here to help