Outdoor wifi Extender

oscar9
Grasshopper

I am a Shaw customer with Bluecurve service and very fast Internet. I have an extender for the inside of my apartment but now I’m trying to find some way of extending to the outside and connecting wirelessly to a security camera. Any suggestions greatly welcomed. I think I need an extender the is plugged in outside on my balcony, serving a security camera at our underground parking area   

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Outdoor Extender?

rob_eberhardt
Grasshopper

If you're looking to use an outdoor extender with the Bluecurve device acting as the router, it is my understanding that Shaw does not provide an outdoor version of their extender.  I see two options:

1. If you want to use the Bluecurve as your router, add another extender as close as possible to the position of your WiFi security camera. You'll get some bleed of the WiFi signal outside of your apartment.
  2. Put your Bluecurve in bridged mode and use a third-party router with mesh capabilities and with available weatherproof extenders. A page that explains some of the basics on how to do this can be found here.

I have a number of devices operating on the exterior of m...

rickatk
Master

@oscar9 wrote:

I am a Shaw customer with Bluecurve service and very fast Internet. I have an extender for the inside of my apartment but now I’m trying to find some way of extending to the outside and connecting wirelessly to a security camera. Any suggestions greatly welcomed. I think I need an extender the is plugged in outside on my balcony, serving a security camera at our underground parking area   

I have a number of devices operating on the exterior of my house. Devices including lights and plugs. My internal Blue Curve network consisting of one gateway and one wifi pod gets a signal to all the exterior devices. I would try setting up your camera and try running off your Blue Curve gateway. Then, if required, try adding a single wifi pod near where your camera will be between the gateway and the camera.

WiFi signal penetration

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@oscar9 --  serving a security camera at our underground parking area   

Physically, where is the camera located? Is it "below" your home, such that the WiFi signal needs to go through your floor, down to the parking area, or is the parking area "beside" your home, with concrete walls in the "line-of-sight" between your balcony and the camera?

Either way, you may have problems with signal-strength of the WiFi signal, both due to distance between your home and the camera, and what materials are between your WiFi device and the camera.

Please keep us informed on how it works.

0 Kudos

hey can you please tell what is the brand or name of the...

soufiahm
Grasshopper

hey can you please tell what is the brand or name of the wifi extender you re suing. I know that shaw has pods but they rent them for 10 $ a month 

0 Kudos

--  Rent a Pod for $10/mo, or purchase one for $199. A pu...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@soufiahm --  Rent a Pod for $10/mo, or purchase one for $199. A purchased Pod comes with a 1-year warranty. A rented Pod will be replaced, if it fails.

TALK TO US
We're here to help