Ping to Blizzard servers has doubled

drkcrix
Grasshopper

Good evening,

I noticed a issue with my ping to blizzard games starting wednesday.  My pings have basically doubled.  I went from 64-70ms to 145-150ms

Now looking through some older issues that I had the first thing that pops out is that the route has changed and its no longer going through rc3ec-hge0-16-0-0.il.shawcable.net  and rc4ec-hge0-19-0-0.il.shawcable.net

Now it looks like the latency is happening between hops 6 and 7, any idea what happened to increase my ping so drastically?

Thanks,

Chris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies

Re: Ping to Blizzard servers has doubled

shaw-tony

Hey drkcrix,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any connectivity issues to Blizzard servers. Based on what you are saying it is possible there was a change in the route to a more reliable route to reach the final destination. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far and are you noticing a ping increase only to Blizzard servers?

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

drkcrix
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

I have done all of the troubleshooting things that I can do on my end.  With my router, without, flush dns cache, power cycle modem, etc... and nothing has made a change.

The only titles that seem to be affected by this are all blizzard titles.  The other games that I play regularly are un-affected.

Here is what my tracert looked like prior to the change on the 8th of November

Warcraft

192.168.2.1 -    0 |   33 |   33 |    0 |    0 |    2 |    0 ||
10.175.196.1 -    0 |   33 |   33 |    6 |    8 |   13 |    9 ||
24.244.9.69 -    0 |   33 |   33 |   55 |   57 |   63 |   56 ||
rc3ec-hge0-16-0-0.il.shawcable.net -    0 |   33 |   33 |   86 |   87 |   92 |   87 ||
rc4ec-hge0-19-0-0.il.shawcable.net -    0 |   33 |   33 |   76 |   77 |   83 |   77 ||
eqix-ix-ch1.blizzard.com -    0 |   33 |   33 |   76 |   77 |   87 |   78 ||
37.244.1.35 -    0 |   33 |   33 |   76 |   77 |   83 |   77 ||
37.244.1.103 -    0 |   33 |   33 |   78 |   80 |   84 |   80 ||
24.105.62.129 -    0 |   33 |   33 |   77 |   80 |   85 |   80 ||

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

drkcrix hmm, odd that it is only affecting Blizzard titles. Do you have any special settings or a 3rd party router with a VPN setting? It is possible Blizzard added a few layers to help reduce possible DDOS attacks. Do you have a previous WinMTR trace to the server?

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Experiencing similar things myself. Ping to blizzard servers has increased recently from 40~ to 90~. Was able to fix it with a connection re-routing service. It appears the route shaw has switched to is much worse than the previous one. 

0 Kudos

clockwise
Shaw Squad

Whoa! Please stand by, I'll let my guy know and see if he can get this fixed for you.

0 Kudos

clockwise
Shaw Squad

Better? Should have been fixed about an hour after my previous post 4 days ago.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Experiencing same issues.
This is a tracert to one of their central servers

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey b.bentley1,

I have reached out to our network architect regarding your issue. Looks like they have made some adjustments so the issue should be resolved. Please give it a test and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Latency has improved a bit since yesterday down to 65~ from 90~
Still double that of the 32~ with a connection re-routing service and higher than the previous 40~ i was getting before the issues started

another tracert from today

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help