Poor blue curve tv performance

Edmuser4848
Grasshopper

Have wireless “4K” boxes, main box cannot maintain 1080p while watching sports. Slow right down and lags out while degenerating down to 480 and pixelated to hell. Have reset modem multiple times and box multiple times. Internet speeds are great and are testing at correct speeds, so I either have a faulty box or the box can’t even give us 1080p which wth it’s 2019 what is Shaw going to do to fix. (Bear in mind I have already powered on and off multiple time)

Labels (1)
18 Replies

it may be a signal related issue. Is the wireless 4K box...

shaw-tony

@Edmuser4848 it may be a signal related issue. Is the wireless 4K box in a place that is very far away from the Blue Curve modem? Have you power reset the modem as well during your troubleshooting steps?

0 Kudos

Hi Shaw-tony please see above comment I have reset the bo...

Edmuser4848
Grasshopper

Hi Shaw-tony please see above comment I have reset the boxes multiple times as well as the gateway modem. The box in question with the most severe symptoms is less than 9 ft from the modem with a direct line of sight. So I highly doubt this is a signal issue. More so the wifi/internet required functions still perform perfectly while my CFL and NHL games lag out horribly and pixelated to worse than SD quality. I am not impressed with Shaw quality and am becoming frustrated with garbage reply of just turn it of and on please advise how Shaw is going to fix this 

0 Kudos

Just changed to this new service last week. Nothing but p...

EMW
Grasshopper

Just changed to this new service last week. Nothing but problems, both on wired and wireless TV boxes and even the internet itself. Cool idea to be wireless, but it's clear Shaw doesn't have the infrastructure to handle this technology. If this isn't fixed within the next 2 days, I'll be switching to TELUS, a real communications company.

thank you for providing me with more information. I have...

shaw-tony

@Edmuser4848 thank you for providing me with more information. I have been made aware of a known issue that we are working with the vendors to resolve as quickly as possible. It is tracked under PRB0049557. 

Just to make sure, does this happen with other channels and content? 

@EMW If you are having trouble with all services, it may be a signal related issue. I'd recommend touching base with technical support to investigate further or schedule a service technician.

0 Kudos

I have this EXACT issue. I contacted Shaw and they made a...

James17
Grasshopper

I have this EXACT issue. I contacted Shaw and they made a few suggestions that did nothing to resolve the issue.

My main TV is 65" 4K and gets spectacular picture via Native Apps, however, the Arris Gateway Box (which is plugged directly into the modem via ethernet cable) provides a compression bitrate that is pathetically minuscule. 

It seems obvious to me that Shaw regards their customers as guinea pigs for a low bitrate compression protocol on their BlueCurve service. By providing this heavy compression of video and audio, Shaw saves on Bandwidth and is able to provide more stable Internet speeds and service which, as a result, sacrifices TV experience.

Now, I don't blame Shaw for making this decision as the picture quality degradation is almost unnoticeable on smaller TVs - more stable internet connections/speeds and unnoticeably poor TV picture/audio = good business decision on paper. However, the effects of such a decision are now noticeable for customers expecting a more vibrant TV experience.

I have a tech coming to service my box in a week, but I am not hopeful that the tech will be able to change the compression bitrate to allow for true HD quality. 

In all honesty, its now the norm for TV service to be secondary to internet service. 

I will be switching to a premium service provider if this tech is unable to resolve this issue.

Good luck to all you out there.

Have you asked the support techs to ping your boxes to ch...

rickatk
Master

Have you asked the support techs to ping your boxes to check to make sure they are working properly?

I did that and found a defective box. This addressed drop offs, hanging and freezing.

Otherwise picture has been pretty good. 

0 Kudos

Yes I have been having ongoing problems Blue Curve,first...

peter12
Grasshopper

Yes I have been having ongoing problems Blue Curve,first with the cable boxes for about a year or so, and now with the wireless box -which is only a few feet from my modem-

I only got these boxes a few days ago and have most of the same problems listed by Edmuser4848,added to these is loss of sound and no accumulated record when started -usually this should be about one hour- these problems started almost right away with these boxes and like Grasshooper, I am about done with shaw, I have been a loyal customer for well over twenty -years and have seen the service deteriorate steadily over the last 3 to 4 years .

0 Kudos

very sorry to hear of the poor experience you've been hav...

shaw-tony

@peter12 very sorry to hear of the poor experience you've been having. PRB0049557 has been resolved from what I can see. As for accumulated record, it is not available for BlueCurve TV. As for the loss of sound and picture, it may be signal or interference related to other devices nearby. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far or has a service technician visited you?

0 Kudos

Yes, of course I have been in touch with tech support,wha...

peter12
Grasshopper

Yes, of course I have been in touch with tech support,what am I an Idiot?  I have an open file,probably the same one I opened in 1995. They suggested  that I removed my wifi extender as it was probably the cause of all my problems and that I should have plenty of bandwidth from the modem for a normal size house with several devices without the need to extend the signal , which is really odd because Shaw sell their own extenders precisely because they believe most houses need extenders!!!!!!! Also as per usual they asked that I reset the modem and boxes again!  I guess it will come as no surprise to any Shaw user that this in fact did not work and last night the intermittent loss of sound continues, it seems this happens on the regular T.V  channels such as the news or recording from regular T.V. channels or at least I am not aware of it happening on Netflix, Prime etc, . As for the accumulated record on start-up, sometimes its there and sometimes its not, so  your response that Blue Curve doesn't have it is somewhat confusing???? In fact I have never had the same answer on anything from any two different Shaw people, I sometimes wonder if their policy is just appeasement rather than action. As for pausing in one room then picking it up in another,I am afraid to try this ,my current disappointment is too great that to suffer anymore blows would be unbearable, better to live in ignorance than face the realities of life in the world according to Shaw.  I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to ride out my current contract then seek solace in the bandwidth of another service provider (I don't know how I will break the news to the kids)

0 Kudos