Port Forwarding with 3rd party router, Bluecurve device in bridge mode

Kiesmander
Grasshopper

I can't for the life of me get port forwarding to function through this new terrible Bluecurve modem. I've enabled bridge mode and set up the port forwarding on my 3rd party router (a TP-Link AC 1750), and nothing seems to be able to connect through that port. I am attempting to set 25565 (the Minecraft server port).

In the Bluecurve's web UI it still shows it having its own DHCP WAN IP address which seems strange, because if it's in Bridge mode shouldn't it just be acting as a "dumb" modem?

If anyone has any insights, please help, this is driving me mental.

Labels (2)
13 Replies

-- disconnect the electrical power from your BlueCurve an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kiesmander -- disconnect the electrical power from your BlueCurve and your own router.

Reconnect the power to both devices, and let them fully restart.

Do you still see, using the Bluecurve's web UI, that it shows it having its own DHCP WAN IP address?

0 Kudos

Yes, after disconnecting them both and reconnecting them,...

Kiesmander
Grasshopper

Yes, after disconnecting them both and reconnecting them, in the Bluecurve web UI under Gateway > Connection > Status it shows:

WAN Network Status:Active Auto WAN
WAN IP Address (IPv4): 24.77.xxx.xxx
WAN IP Address (IPv6): [IPV6 Address]

and:

Internet:Active
WAN IP Address: 24.77.xxx.xxx
WAN IPv6 Address: [IPV6 Address]
DHCP Client:Enabled
DHCP Expire Time:1d:1h:26m

(Actual IP addresses redacted for safety and security)
0 Kudos

-- what IP address shows for the WAN port on your TP-Link...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kiesmander -- what IP address shows for the WAN port on your TP-Link AC 1750 ?

If you connect to http://10.0.0.1  and login, what IP-address do you see for the WAN port?

Does it show any LAN clients, namely "10.0.0.xxx" ? If it is "bridged", it should not show any.

0 Kudos

My TP-Link AC 1750 is showing a 24.77.xxx.xxx WAN address...

Kiesmander
Grasshopper

My TP-Link AC 1750 is showing a 24.77.xxx.xxx WAN address (a different address than the Bluecurve device is showing).

When you mention 10.0.0.1 do you mean when I connect to the Bluecurve device? If so, that's what I had in my previous reply. The "connected devices" button shows no connected devices.

0 Kudos

--  My TP-Link AC 1750 is showing a 24.77.xxx.xxx WAN add...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kiesmander --  My TP-Link AC 1750 is showing a 24.77.xxx.xxx WAN address (a different address than the Bluecurve device is showing).

That is good. 

Can you configure "port-forwarding" for that "public" IP-address (on Shaw's network) to a port on a device on your LAN?   Can you connect to your device from some other computer on any public network (Telus, Bell, Cellular) ?

When you mention 10.0.0.1 do you mean when I connect to the Bluecurve device?

Yes. From a computer on your LAN, connect to http://10.0.0.1 -- works even when the BlueCurve is "bridged".

The "connected devices" button shows no connected devices.

Good. The "bridge" is working -- the DHCP-server inside the BlueCurve is NOT active, and is not handing-out "private" IP-addresses (10.0.0.xxx) to any of your devices.

0 Kudos

Yes, I have a port forward for 25565 to my desktop PC, in...

Kiesmander
Grasshopper

Yes, I have a port forward for 25565 to my desktop PC, in the TP-Link device's forwarding settings. Outside devices still cannot connect to it through that port.

0 Kudos

Is there a firewall on your desktop computer?

rstra
Grand Master

@Kiesmander  Is there a firewall on your desktop computer?

0 Kudos

Windows Defender - and yes I tried allowing the port thro...

Kiesmander
Grasshopper

Windows Defender - and yes I tried allowing the port through that. That's not the issue though, it was working fine before I switched to the Bluecurve modem.

0 Kudos

-- note that "Windows Defender" is an anti-virus app, whi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kiesmander -- note that "Windows Defender" is an anti-virus app, which is separate from the "Windows Firewall" service. Check the "allows" within Windows Firewall.

Check your port-forwarding rules to verify that the destination IP-address (of your computer) and the port-number are valid. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help