Proper DMARC, SPF, DKIM etc settings for sending using aliases to avoid Outlook junking them

Kritiker
Grasshopper

I use email aliases like myname@somedomain.com to point to my actual shaw email address myname@shaw.ca. When I send emails (using Eudora, Win 10 Pro) via the Shaw SMTP outgoing mail servers with myname@somedomain.com in the From field everything works well and most emails arrive at their destinations.

The one major, notable and very troubling exception, is that Outlook junks these emails when it receives them. It has taken me a long time to get ti this point and now I am sytmied.

MXToolbox reports that there are shows several DMARC, SPF DKIM etc. errors. I do not know which of these settings are required at somedomain.com, certainly the SPF entires for Shaw are, and I've manged that. But the rest are a mystery to me and I don't even know where to begin.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

this is quite outside our scope of support. Hopefully, ot...

shaw-tony

@Kritiker this is quite outside our scope of support. Hopefully, other users on the forum can point you in the right direction. There may be an Outlook setting such as "Safe Sender/List" for junk/spam you could change to whitelist your emails.

0 Kudos

-- The one major, notable and very troubling exception, i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kritiker -- The one major, notable and very troubling exception, is that Outlook junks these emails when it receives them.

I have heard of a similar problem, when a local Golf Club is sending messages to its members, e.g., confirmation of bookings for a tee-time. Microsoft's mail-servers examine each message addressed to an Outlook.com / Hotmail.com / Live.com ID, and use several criteria for identifying "spam" messages.  One criteria is "reputation" of the sending mail-server, e.g., Shaw's -- if a server has a "bad" reputation, Microsoft will "tag" it, and when the recipient views/downloads the message, it has already been tagged. Outlook, running on the recipient's computer, recognizes the tag, and moves the message into the "junk" folder.

The Golf Club had to setup a "feedback" system with Microsoft -- any "spam" message detected by Microsoft is sent to an ID on the Golf Club's mail-server, to inform the Golf Club's administrators.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help