Quality of Service

lilyput1970
Grasshopper

How can i set up Quality of Service for my home devices?  I need my work laptop to take priority.

I have an Arris SBG6782

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

I don’t believe that modem has a QOS feature.

rstra
Grand Master

I don’t believe that modem has a QOS feature. 

0 Kudos

According to https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

According to https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/guide-arris-advanced-wifi-modem-sbg6782/ta-p/5158#secti...
The screenshot shows the QoS option under WIreless. If it is not there, it may be disabled in the firmware.

Now another option, and I am not implying it would do the exact same, is to give your work computer a static IP. This way, to my limited knowledge, each time the work computer connects to your home network it is provided the same IP address and does not need to fight for one. Kind of giving it a priority.

0 Kudos

My mistake, I was looking at the wrong modem. Thanks for...

rstra
Grand Master

My mistake, I was looking at the wrong modem. Thanks for that.

0 Kudos

> ... each time the work computer connects to your home n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> ... each time the work computer connects to your home network it is provided the same IP address and does not need to fight for one.

The Shaw routers have a "pool" of  250 IP-addresses to be given to various computers inside your home.  So, there always should be an available IP-address.  The Hitron router has a "memory" -- if you connect a device, use it for a while, and then disconnect it, the time that you connect it, it will assign the SAME IP-address as before.

QOS ("Quality of Service" is like the "bouncer" outside a night-club -- their "favoured" people get immediate entry, while the rest wait in the queue. In my area, some retail stores now have signs stating "priority to essential service workers" -- show your ID to bypass the queue of waiting customers. One local store reserves the first hour of its day for seniors.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help