Random stoppage over the past few weeks

silas1
Grasshopper

We live just outside of Vancouver, in Coquitlam. Experienced random 5 minute or so stoppage of TV and Wi-Fi over the past few weeks. We are on blue curve gig. Is this just us, or a wider issue in the lower mainland. Not impressed when you’re in the middle of a show and every thing goes dead.

Labels (1)
9 Replies

I'm in Coquitlam and have been having issues with our int...

springbok
Grasshopper

I'm in Coquitlam and have been having issues with our internet dropping connection.

I have spent over 3 hours with tech support doing everything including factory resetting the gateway modem. It has been very frustrating

0 Kudos

-- I am in Coquitlam. Could you ask a few neighbours who...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@springbok -- I am in Coquitlam.

Could you ask a few neighbours who also are Shaw subscribers, to see how "widespread" the issue is?

> tech support doing everything 

Did they remotely logon to your TV and/or cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching those Shaw devices? A weak signal can cause your symptoms. 

Also, do you have a coaxial-splitter between the coaxial wall-socket and your Shaw devices? If so, temporarily bypass that splitter, to see if it causing your issue.

0 Kudos

They logged in and said I was receiving adequate speed fr...

springbok
Grasshopper

They logged in and said I was receiving adequate speed from the pole to the modem, however when I'd run speed tests they'd fluctuate from between 3mb/s and 20mb/s (I'm on Shaw 600.) This was coupled with periods where my phones and laptops would show as connected to the wifi network but with no internet connection.

I don't have any coaxial splitters. I only subscribe to internet and the coaxial feed is going straight to the modem (through a MOCA POE filter)

0 Kudos

--  when I'd run speed tests they'd fluctuate from betwee...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@springbok --  when I'd run speed tests they'd fluctuate from between 3mb/s and 20mb/s (I'm on Shaw 600.) This was coupled with periods where my phones and laptops would show as connected to the wifi network but with no internet connection.

Something is wrong, somewhere. This is not acceptable, if you are running the Shaw Speed Test via an Ethernet-connected computer.

When running the Speed Test, use a computer with at least a dual-core 2.5 Ghz processor -- anything slower cannot run the Speed Test client at its full speed -- it will report lower speeds if the processor is 100% busy during the test.

Be sure to have a "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" Ethernet cable, not a "CAT-5" cable, between your computer and your cable-modem.   Disconnect the cable, and then reconnect it. Also, try a different cable.

Try disconnecting the coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and the wall-port, and then reconnecting it, tightly. Also, try a different cable.

Try temporarily removing that MOCA filter, and rerun the Speed Test.

If all else fails, contact Shaw Support, to get more trouble-shooting.

I work from home and I can not afford to have my internet...

Tiffinay
Grasshopper

I work from home and I can not afford to have my internet go down I'm losing business not **bleep**ing happy this is the 3 time and it was just as bad on Friday 

0 Kudos

-- not to be personal, but where do you live? Check Shaw'...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tiffinay -- not to be personal, but where do you live?

Check Shaw's Outages web-page, to see if there are any updates about interruptions near your location.

How was the weather last Friday? Freezing rain? Icy? Snow causing trees to fall across power-lines?

When you contacted Shaw (www.shaw.ca/chat) or 1-888-472-2222, did they tell you about problems physically close to your location?

We live between Austin and Monday Park...our internet jus...

JudyJackBC
Grasshopper

We live between Austin and Monday Park...our internet just seems to get worse and worse.  It’s been a huge issue with us!

Fricking spellcheck...that should be Mundy Park!

JudyJackBC
Grasshopper

Fricking spellcheck...that should be Mundy Park!

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JudyJackBC  -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

Given your "Coquitlam-ish" location, see the Shaw Outages web-page for the Lower Mainland of B.C.

Right now, there is no posted information about a specific problem in your area.

If you need more detail, please contact Shaw Support ( www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222 ).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help