Renewed plan and got new modem. Modem is not provisioning. No internet for 3 days now

ChrisB604
Grasshopper

I decided to renew my Shaw plan on Saturday (out of contract for a year or so). Went to a Shaw store and it was a simple enough process. Got my new modem and was told to ship my old modem back to Shaw with the provided shipping label.

Got home, installed the new modem and followed the commissioning process instructions and the modem did not have a working connection. I spent 4hrs talking with 4 different reps without anyone being able to fix this. I was finally able to reach the 5th rep who told me that Shaw is currently having problems with their equipment and cannot complete the provisioning of my modem and that this is why I dont have internet. I asked for a timeline and they were not able to give me one.

Has anyone else had this problem? The last rep indicated he had had over 5 customers calling in with the same issue in just that one shift...

Labels (1)
13 Replies

-- I was finally able to reach the 5th rep who told me th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ChrisB604 -- I was finally able to reach the 5th rep who told me that Shaw is currently having problems with their equipment and cannot complete the provisioning of my modem

There is another discussion thread on this forum that states that Shaw has (or had?) a "back-end" problem that causes (caused?) the "unable to activate" issue.

Found on Shaw's web-site:

Affected Area: National

Affected Services: Account Services, myshaw.ca & activations.shaw.ca websites, My Shaw app.
This includes our representative’s ability to access account and equipment information.

Reference Number: CHG0434266

Date: Jan 11, 2021

Start: 00:00 MT

End: 06:00 MT

Summary: Some customers may experience an interruption of the affected Shaw services between midnight and 6:00 am MT. This interruption is expected to last approximately six (6) hours. Services will be restored automatically when the maintenance is complete.

===============

Maybe, Shaw scheduled a similar outage early today (January 10, 2022) ??? (Shaw removes such postings after the event.)

I am in the same boat, yet for me its been 6 days... they...

TENSEMKV
Grasshopper

I am in the same boat, yet for me its been 6 days... they just keep telling me the same thing. They are working on it... No way to reactivate your old modem, no way to give you internet until the "back end" team fixes the issue... I even had a tech come to my house after the 4th day to tell me the same thing.. 

Im honestly just going to cancel the customer communication has been so bad. AND STILL NOT INTERNET

We had a tech come to the house and unnecessarily do a mo...

Holydaisy
Grasshopper

We had a tech come to the house and unnecessarily do a modem “swap” … I asked him to “swap” back and now we have had no service whatsoever since January 7 @10:30 am … it is now January 10 @ 8:30pm . Not one agent can give me any concrete answers:(

0 Kudos

Has your issue been fixed yet? I just got my modem this m...

roan73
Grasshopper

Has your issue been fixed yet? I just got my modem this morning, pretty fast considering I just renewed yesterday. Plugged in my modem tonight and same issue, connected with no internet. Talked to tech support who said there is an outage. Why would they send out new modems if they are having issues with them? I don't get it! Don't send them out then! We work from home and this is not acceptable!!!! Couldn't even get a supervisor to call me back tonight, they said they would call in the morning and they submitted a ticket to work on it on the back end. Not confident based on what I haven been reading. Seriously considering cancelling my service!!!

Have hey fix the backend today, It's not acceptable I agr...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

@ChrisB604 @roan73 @Holydaisy @TENSEMKV 

Have hey fix the backend today, It's not acceptable I agree.  Hope today is belter and get back to normal.  

0 Kudos

When I talk to them last night I made the tech rep contac...

Holydaisy
Grasshopper

When I talk to them last night I made the tech rep contact her supervisor. I don’t know what good that did because that supervisor just said to send a tech out. So they’re sending a tech out this morning first thing and he’ll probably tell me the same thing that they’re reps on the phone keep telling me. I lost my mind at her because when I mentioned the back system and the outages she and all the other reps I’ve talked to just act like “oh well I don’t know what else to tell you.” How can you operate a business like this?? How come I can go get brand new service in minutes but They can’t finish a modem? Swap ??

0 Kudos

No. Still has not been fixed. I am on day 4 of no interne...

ChrisB604
Grasshopper

No. Still has not been fixed. I am on day 4 of no internet now.

I am working from home and have already maxed out my monthly data plan on my phone due to not having internet. I am now forced to drive two hours a day to my closed office to try and get internet or risk my health during a pandemic to dot in a coffee shop all day so I can work.

if it’s not resolved today, I will be calling CBC media to report this so everyone can see the lacking customer service here.

No update yet.  I called this morning and they said the t...

roan73
Grasshopper

No update yet.  I called this morning and they said the ticket is in progress, which basically means it has been assigned to someone and is just sitting there.  They couldn't give me an update or an ETA or anything.  I asked if it was worth it to just go to a Shaw store to exchange the modem and they said "you can try".  They said that it has been escalated and a supervisor is supposed to be calling back.  Not sure if that will happen as last night they said there were no supervisors available.  I am beyond mad at this point.  Tethering to my phone right now to be able to work.  How can they continue to send out new equipment when there is a provisioning issue on the backend?  It's like no one is talking to each other. @ChrisB604 , I am with you on talking to the media.  This is beyond ridiculous!!!

*UPDATE* I talked to a technician after my last post and...

roan73
Grasshopper

*UPDATE*

I talked to a technician after my last post and he suggested that I go to a Shaw store in the mall to get an XB6 Modem as the current issues are happening on the new XB7 modems and not the older ones.  I picked one up and all is working now.  Also, the rep at the store stated that the XB7 modems are only made for Fibre+1GB or more, not for anything less which may be why they are having so many issues.  I cannot be sure though.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help