Replace modem with thrift store rogers/shaw modem

id4vip
Grasshopper

I have internet connection from Shaw/Rogers & they gave me XB6 modem & it is working. Last week I visited thrift store & find out XB8 modem cheap. I bought it with intension that I will replace my xb6 modem to xb8 mode. I have download shaw ignite app & try to use feature “activate a gateway” But app shows me error & ask me to contact customer service phone line.  is it possible to replace my existing xb6 modem to my own thrift store purchased xb8 modem? I confirm that modem is shaw firmware. I guess shaw already charged the original owner for that xb8 modem so  this must be unlocked. I know I am not getting boost in my internet speed but my internal network will be fast & strong wiffi with xb8 modem. Even I am happy to send back my existing xb6 modem now & xb8 modem to shaw/rogers after my tenure in this company. Basically we both  benefited like me get better modem & Rogers get his modem back free which is now going towards electronic junk.   

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Rogers only has rental modems, they won’t activate this m...

rstra
Grand Master

@id4vip  Rogers only has rental modems, they won’t activate this modem as it is likely already on a delinquent account and is their property.  See if you can get your money back from the Thrift Store. 

If you want an XB8, ask Rogers what your options are for an upgrade. 

0 Kudos

Thanks for reply, I am ok with every option/policy of sha...

id4vip
Grasshopper

Thanks for reply, I am ok with every option/policy of shaw or rogers. if they replace my xb6 modem with new xb8 modem without changing my plan & price. if shaw/rogers not able to activate thrift store modem they will send me new xb8 modem & i will return both xb6 & thrift store modem xb8 to them now . with this way i will get new xb8 modem without increase in plan price & rogers/shaw get there lost xb8 modem back & they will reuse it to any other person. as in my plan modem rental is free so i am not expecting any discount for rental. also i am agree to absorbed the amount i payed to thrift store. the new xb8  modem in my account will be shaw/rogers ownership & i will return back to them & not expecting any return value.   

0 Kudos

-- if you complain to Shaw/Rogers that your XB6 is extrem...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@id4vip -- if you complain to Shaw/Rogers that your XB6 is extremely loud (which they are), can they ship you an XB7 (or XB8), both of which are very quiet?

Or, if you tell them a lie, such as "there was smoke & a burning smell coming out of it", which modem will they ship to you?

0 Kudos

I have called shaw help line via phone. They gave me ans...

id4vip
Grasshopper

I have called shaw help line via phone.  They gave me answer that my plan is only compatible with xb6 modem. I have 150 mpbs download & 10 mpbs upload connection internet plan.  They can change my xb6 modem with another xb6 modem but not any other modem. For thrift store  xb8 modem they  are unsure what to do.  most likely throw in electronic recycle.

0 Kudos

wrote They gave me answer that my plan is only compatible...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@id4vip wrote They gave me answer that my plan is only compatible with xb6 modem. I have 150 Mpbs download & 10 Mpbs upload connection Internet plan. 

Browsing the Shaw/Rogers web-site, your plan no longer seems to be available, but I have not called/chatted to see which of their available plans are not listed on the web-site.

Maybe, talk to them, to see if you can upgrade (and pay more) to be supplied with the XB7/XB8 cable-modem.

0 Kudos