Rogers/Shaw Takeover News Today

g-idk
Master

Not sure if everyone caught wind of the news in regards to a bump in the road for the takeover, Who knows might end up being a mountain.  Canada's commissioner of competition intends to oppose Rogers Communications Inc.'s proposed $26-billion merger with Shaw Communications Inc., the companies said in a statement released early Saturday.  Rogers/Shaw do plan on appealing the decision  Well let's see where this goes.  Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.  

Labels (1)
47 Replies

I read that the bureau doesn’t have confidence that Xplor...

rstra
Grand Master

I read that the bureau doesn’t have confidence that Xplornet would be a viable 4th carrier, Rogers may need to find another buyer for Freedom. I really want this merger to compete, mostly to give us better TV options. 

Hi  , for myself my main concern right now is that my 2 y...

g-idk
Master

Hi @rstra , for myself my main concern right now is that my 2 year contract comes up in Sept.  Would be nice to know before it comes time to renew, so I can make an informed decision.  Better Tv options sure would be nice as well. 

0 Kudos

I suggest you carry on regardless. If you are happy with...

rickatk
Master

@g-idk wrote:

Hi @rstra , for myself my main concern right now is that my 2 year contract comes up in Sept.  Would be nice to know before it comes time to renew, so I can make an informed decision.  Better Tv options sure would be nice as well. 

I suggest you carry on regardless. If you are happy with Shaw don’t wait on this merger decision. Renew. I think it will be sometime before Rogers comes knocking on our doors.

Hi  , yes I see your point, plus Rogers would have to hon...

g-idk
Master

Hi @rickatk , yes I see your point, plus Rogers would have to honour all current contracts that are valid as of the official sign over date.  So come Sept. I'll probably renew.  Thanks for the advice. 

I will be renewing next April and happy too! I prefer wha...

rickatk
Master

I will be renewing next April and happy too! I prefer what the cable companies  are doing with TV and internet.

0 Kudos

This could literally be the best thing for our infrastruc...

MAC51
Grasshopper

This could literally be the best thing for our infrastructure we could be number Surpassing United States with not only coverage but with RAW download and upload latency and jitter

0 Kudos

In 2021, Shaw called me in mid-February to get me to sign...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

In 2021, Shaw called me in mid-February to get me to sign-up for another two years, even though my two-year contract did not end until early June.  That was quite "early". I paid no penalty for them -- not me -- to terminate my current contract. Because my monthly payments increased slightly, Shaw gave me a credit, so that my payments from March to June did not increase -- they stayed at the "old" amount.

So, if your contract is up for renewal in September, given that it is May this month, maybe contact Shaw, and offer to signup for two years, to "lock-in" a new contract before Rogers (might?) take over.

Or, ponder switching to Telus, to get their "promotional" price for 12 months. It's your money to spend how you see fit.

HI  , Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it and weigh...

g-idk
Master

HI @mdk , Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it and weigh my options.  

I worked for Shaw and really dislike Rogers.  I have had...

Jle
Grasshopper

I worked for Shaw and really dislike Rogers.  I have had a bad experience with them. I won’t be staying if Rogers takes over.  It is taking away options and Rogers is way more expensive than Shaw.  My daughter has Rogers cell phone and pays twice as much as I do. TV isn’t an issue for me as I don’t watch much but internet and my cell phone provider are paramount. If I have to pay more for these I will be looking for other options.  Ask your customers before you sell.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help