Setting Up MoCA on Shaw [Hitron Cable Modem]

burrsacc
Grasshopper

Hello Shaw Community

I am looking into enhancing the reliability of my wireless network using MoCA adapter[s] with my current Hitron CGNM-2250 cable modem. My current configuration is the the Hitron and an Apple Airport Extreme router. We recently have been getting dead spots in my home despite moving the modem and router to a more central location in my house. I have been researching MoCA and it seems to be the way to go to enhance a home wireless network and solve dead spots. I am posting here to find out your experiences regarding MoCA and how you mapped out you configurations. Were you able to set up a MoCA based configuration with a Shaw Cable Modem [Hitron in my case]? Which MoCA adapter[s] would you recommend? Which one did you use? Thanks in advance for your advice and input. FYI, I tried adding the MoCA acronym as a post tag and it was rejected. Is this a clue that Shaw cable modems are not MoCA capable or do not support MoCA devices?

Regards, Donald B.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

--  Is this a clue that Shaw cable modems are not MoCA ca...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@burrsacc --  Is this a clue that Shaw cable modems are not MoCA capable or do not support MoCA devices?

The Hitron is MoCA capable.

The BlueCurve (XB6/XB7/XB8) is capable, but is defaulted to "disabled".

Search within this discussion forum for "Hitron MoCA". Some people have made it work.

0 Kudos

You're joking right or is it sarcasm? Those posts really...

burrsacc
Grasshopper

You're joking right or is it sarcasm? Those posts really don't address the topic with any in-depth information. I came here looking for some actual knowledge and/or advice. Waste of time apparently...🤔

0 Kudos

-- Waste of time  Sometimes, free information, given by v...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@burrsacc -- Waste of time 

Sometimes, free information, given by volunteer contributors to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, is worth exactly what you paid for it. 🙂

You're welcome to use the "Search" function within this forum to research relevant information about MoCA, such as all you need is one MoCA device, other than the Hitron's MoCA capability.

I am independent of Shaw Communications. I have never been employed by Shaw, and I have never worked for Shaw. [There is a difference. 🙂 ]

A proverb: don't look a gift horse in the mouth 

0 Kudos

-- despite moving the modem and router to a more central...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@burrsacc -- despite moving the modem and router to a more central location in my house. 

Consider moving the WiFi-enabled cable-modem towards one "end" of your house, and connecting it (via a long Ethernet cable) to the WiFi-enabled router that is positioned towards the other "end" of your house. Or, for a multi-story house, put the two devices on different floors, but not directly one above the other.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help