Apparently the form was not actually required by the last...

Warvstar
Grasshopper

Apparently the form was not actually required by the last tech, however this last one wants me to remove boards from my deck now...

If this truly is the answer why did I have to have so many techs come out to get to this answer? Why could one of the first few not have just taken all the steps to figure this out? I have no faith in this company anymore, if I tear up my deck and the next tech tells me something else was the issue... Wow.

I have absolutely no more patience for this company, it used to be something good when I first started using it in the 90s, but now it's absolutely garbage.

0 Kudos

YES

LINO1
Grasshopper

YES

0 Kudos

I have had the same issues with random disconnects! This...

Spiritorb
Grasshopper

I have had the same issues with random disconnects! This is a KNOWN issue with these garbage Blue Curve modems! Shaw needs to get its head out of its butt and recoginze that these modems are CRAP!

0 Kudos

> I have had the same issues with random disconnects! Tel...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I have had the same issues with random disconnects!

Telephone Shaw. A technician can remotely connect to your BlueCurve, to view its internal diagnostics, e.g., signal-strength, and electrical-power "brown-outs", during the call.

Check that the coaxial-cable between the wall-outlet and the BlueCurve is tightly-connected at both ends. Also, try a different cable.

If you are using an Ethernet cable between your computer and the BlueCurve, check that cable's connections. Also, try a different cable. Be sure to use a cable labelled (along its length) as "CAT-5E" or "CAT-6", because "CAT-5" is certified only up to 100 Mbps -- insufficient for "Internet 300" service.

If you are using WiFi on your computer, temporarily connect it to the BlueCurve with an Ethernet cable, to bypass any WiFi-related issues.

Do you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) -- about $40 -- to supply "smooth" power to the BlueCurve and your computer?

I am using a Chromebook, so no ethernet connection. Wifi...

Spiritorb
Grasshopper

I am using a Chromebook, so no ethernet connection. Wifi only. Shaw has remotely diagnosed the modem and found no issues. System time is set to IP address, and modem is showing the correct time when I log in. This IS a problem with these modems. I am going to switch bak to a Hitron modem, as I am fed up with these pieces of junk! I never had any of the issues with the Hitron GC250 modem. 

0 Kudos

I am having the same problem although my disconnects aren...

Al7
Grasshopper

I am having the same problem although my disconnects aren't exactly random. I can practically tell the time of day from the disconnects. I had Blue Curve installed on March 14, 2020 and up until April 10 everything worked fine, Then at abt. 11:00 AM on April 10 I got a disconnect. I refreshed Google.ca and the error message was  a network change. I got a hold of Shaw tech help and they walked me through unscrewing the coax, unplugging the modem and then resetting it. Nothing worked. Then at about 7:00 PM that night it reconnected itself. The same thing has happened everyday since then, between 10:30 AM and 11:00 AM the internet disconnects, I phone Shaw, they fix nothing then at between 4:30 PM and 7:00 PM it reconnects. It's driving me nuts. I need the internet throughout the day to do my job. There's a tech coming this Friday and if it can't be fixed I'm going to have to switch to another provider.

> the error message was a network change. Are you running...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the error message was a network change.

Are you running the BlueCurve in "bridged" mode?  If not, read on.

The BlueCurve sends a DHCP-request (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to Shaw's DHCP-server. The response is both an IP-address and a TTL (Time To Live) value.  Compare it to renting a hotel-room -- the room is exclusively yours, until the hotel's check-out time. Before check-out, you can ask the hotel for another night's rental. They may say "no", or "yes, you can stay in your current room", or "yes, but you'll have to move to a different room, because the next renter is expecting the room, e.g., a suite with multiple bedrooms, for a large family". Similarly, Shaw's DHCP-server, after the expiry of the TTL, may be assigning you a different IP-address - a "network change".

Most of the DHCP-responses have a TTL in the range of 1 day to 7 days.  But, if Shaw is expecting to do some "network maintenance" overnight, Shaw may configure their DHCP-server to set the TTL to 60 minutes.  Then, immediately after their maintenance, your current IP-address will not work, for less than 60 minutes. When your computer notices that this "short" TTL has expired, it will send a new DHCP-request, and will receive a new IP-address. Probably, a day or two later, Shaw will reconfigure their DHCP-server to set the TTL to a much-longer interval.

So, can you logon to your BlueCurve, and tell us the IP-address, and the time remaining on the TTL, currently assigned to the BlueCurve. Then, after your next "reset", logon again, to see the newly-refreshed values.

0 Kudos

No, I cannot log onto Blue Curve. After talking to Shaw t...

Al7
Grasshopper

No, I cannot log onto Blue Curve. After talking to Shaw tech and resetting the modem 1/2 dozen times etc etc etc  the page I get when I try to logon tells me to call 1-888-472-2222 because they need more info. I call the number we go through the same thing all over again, disconnect the power and the coax reset the modem. Now there's a tech coming this Friday but judging from what I've read on these forums that's not likely to help either.

What you said above in regard to DHCP and TTL really doesn't make much sense to me and I have no idea what "bridged mode " means.

What I want to know is this: Everything worked fine for about 3 weeks then all of a sudden I loose the internet at about the same time every morning and get it back at about the same time every night. Seems to me that Shaw ought to be able to rectify this on their end.

0 Kudos

-- what you said above in regard to DHCP and TTL really d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Al7 -- what you said above in regard to DHCP and TTL really doesn't make much sense to me.

Well, I tried to make an analogy of renting a hotel-room for one night (TTL of 17 hours -- check-in at 6 PM, check-out by 11 AM), and then, the next morning, asking the reservations clerk to book another night. You might get:

• Yes, stay in the same room (keep the same IP-address),
  • Yes, but you'll have to change rooms (DHCP will assign a different IP-address),
  • No, the hotel is fully-booked for the 2nd night.

> I have no idea what "bridged mode " means.

The "bridged" mode is when your cable-modem/router combination device "dumbs-down" to become a simple "bridge" (like many Canadian residents in Windsor Ontario who daily drive over the bridge to work as "essential service" employees in hospitals in Detroit Michigan) to convert the signals from the coaxial-cable to the Ethernet cable, and vice-versa.

0 Kudos

Possibly a problem with the modem, hopefully the tech swa...

rstra
Grand Master

Possibly a problem with the modem, hopefully the tech swaps it out. Do other devices experience the same disconnects?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help