I have heard that they are in Belize.

rstra
Grand Master

@BvrHunter I have heard that they are in Belize.

0 Kudos

yup you are correct, tech I chatted with tonight says he...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

yup you are correct, tech I chatted with tonight says he is in Belize.

0 Kudos

I had another look at my XB7 setup and indeed the 160hz o...

rickatk
Master

@mgbruce I had another look at my XB7 setup and indeed the 160hz option is greyed out. Hmmm I consistently get 500Mbps download on my iPad Pro and new iPhone. 730Mbps on my iMac i7 SSD. These are better returns than the XB6 but not earth shattering. I must inquire.

0 Kudos

I found the setting you are referring to. The tech advise...

rickatk
Master

@mgbruce I found the setting you are referring to. The tech advised his XB7 gateway was configured the same way. Apparently the router does it’s magic best (with the band setting configuration) to optimize the “customer experience”. Indeed If I want to access the 160hz setting I would have to get an after market product and bridge. This strains my avid support of sticking with Shaw gear for my complete system. I want to find out exactly what the XB7 is doing @ 80Hz that it cant to at 160Hz.

Interesting. 

0 Kudos

--  I want to find out exactly what the XB7 is doing @ 80...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk --  I want to find out exactly what the XB7 is doing @ 80Hz that it cannot do at 160Hz.

Me, too.

How is your signal-strength and actual speed at 80 Hertz (Megahertz?). Would switching to 160 give better signal-strength and speed?

0 Kudos

I believe that 160MHz uses DFS channels and whenever a ra...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk I believe that 160MHz uses DFS channels and whenever a radar signal (or maybe other interference) is detected, it switches to a non DFS channel. Perhaps Comcast disabled 160MHz to prevent interferences, either to or from the router?

0 Kudos

Signal strength is good. Based on other users reports set...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk --  I want to find out exactly what the XB7 is doing @ 80Hz that it cannot do at 160Hz.

Me, too.

How is your signal-strength and actual speed at 80 Hertz (Megahertz?). Would switching to 160 give better signal-strength and speed?

Signal strength is good. Based on other users reports settings 160Hz is also good. Better in fact.

0 Kudos

Hmmm sounds reasonable. I have reach out to a support man...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk I believe that 160MHz uses DFS channels and whenever a radar signal (or maybe other interference) is detected, it switches to a non DFS channel. Perhaps Comcast disabled 160MHz to prevent interferences, either to or from the router?

Hmmm sounds reasonable. I have reached out to a support manager at Shaw who may be able to clarify. These last few months I have accepted Fibre 1.5 and XB7 offer somewhat better speed improvement and better capacity for multiple devices. Interesting though what the reason is for greying out the 160MHz setting.

0 Kudos

On top of taking away our privacy within settings  now it...

Unhappycustome2
Grasshopper

On top of taking away our privacy within settings

now it’s just a alphanumeric password  and try to use your own modem and routers and you get 100s of 1000s of pings all day long. Constant packets in downloads and streaming now. The curve is always hot A.f. And can hear the fan going it’s so loud?!

Incapable of accessing any options threw miltshaw or the other links. 
mice been having serious networking issues since March and no matter what I do the harassment gets worse 

welcome to communism

0 Kudos

-- try to use your own modem and routers and you get 100s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Unhappycustome2 -- try to use your own modem and routers and you get 100s of 1000s of pings all day long

Did you "bridge" the cable-modem? If so, before you did, those packets were "absorbed" by the cable-modem, and never reached your computer.

But, now that the cable-modem is "bridged", those packets reach your router, where you can observe them.

Given that your router is receiving at up to 1000 Mbits/second, do those few packets (per second? per minute?) impinge on the speed of your connection?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help