-- that "113 Mbps" is the tail-end of the "upload" part o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- that "113 Mbps" is the tail-end of the "upload" part of the Speed Test. So, your "upload" speed is 13% above what Shaw is obligated to give you.

I just noticed that the graph shows "Realtek USB", which implies that you have an external adapter.

Is the adapter connected to a USB 2 socket (black-coloured tongue inside the socket), or to a USB 3 SuperSpeed socket (blue-coloured tongue inside the socket) ? I wonder if that makes a difference ?

0 Kudos

It is a USB 3 SuperSpeed socket. That's how it connects.

winterpeg
Grasshopper

It is a USB 3 SuperSpeed socket. That's how it connects.

0 Kudos

-- found online: SuperSpeed or USB 3.1 Gen 1 mode (previo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- found online: SuperSpeed or USB 3.1 Gen 1 mode (previously known as USB 3.0) has a bandwidth of 5Gbps.

That is 5 times faster than a Shaw Fibre+ Gig connectioni (1 Gbps).   So, that device probably is not a bottle-neck.

Do you have (or can you borrow) a notebook computer with a built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter, and run a Speed Test on it?

0 Kudos

This latest graph is through WIFI, I get the same as thro...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

This latest graph is through WIFI, I get the same as through the Ethernet.WIFI speed test.JPG

0 Kudos

I do have an older HP Pavilion Dv 7. I haven't turned it...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

I do have an older HP Pavilion Dv 7. I haven't turned it on since I got the current Surface Pro, which was about 3 years ago.

http://media.flixcar.com/delivery/minisite/show/8/en/599752

It definitely has the  built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter. I will dust it off and see if it will power up. I had just upgraded the HP to Windows 10 and had lots of problems, hence me buying the new Surface Pro. 

0 Kudos

-- your HP Pavilion's specifications see to be: Intel Cor...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- your HP Pavilion's specifications see to be: Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB SATA (5400 rpm)

Its CPU speed should be just fast-enough to run the Shaw Speed Test at its full speed.

If it were my computer, 6 GB is a "sweet spot", but I would replace the disk-drive with a SSD drive, which is advertised as "up to 5 times faster than a 5400 disk-drive".

Note that since you have activated Windows 10 on the computer, Microsoft knows the product-key that was used to activate. So, you can Download Windows 10, and reinstall Windows on the newly-attached SSD. When installing, click "I do not have a product key". This will cause the Installer to "call home", and retrieve the product-key, and use it. Simple!

A "clean" install may address your "lots of problems" issue.

0 Kudos

I have the same issue with my xb7, shaw disabled the opti...

Zokamba
Grasshopper

I have the same issue with my xb7, shaw disabled the option as they are now managing it through the app... I am in a condo so need as much bandwidth as possible but they set 20 & don't enable 20/40 on 2.4 making speeds slower and on 5ghz its set at 20/40/80 and graying out 20/40/80/160.... you used to be able to change it on the modem interface... hell even the TSR when I call in says he can't change it (I worked for both shaw and telus and know they can or a senior support agent can in the modem tools) 

0 Kudos

The modems are warm but it depends on which you have if i...

Zokamba
Grasshopper

The modems are warm but it depends on which you have if it's loud... I had an Arris and a technicolor at the same time and the Technicolor was quiet and the Arris was loud AF. (I had a bad power supply so got a replacement) even though the arris got super loud it didn't feel any cooler... they both looked exactly the same white XB7 but the Arris version was the loud one... noticed the same with the older XB6 black modem too... the Arris version modems were way louder

0 Kudos

Indeed the settings can be changed with the correct autho...

rickatk
Master

Indeed the settings can be changed with the correct authorization, however Shaw advises not to do so. It’s a matter of stability on the network. I opted to leave my settings alone as I don’t any hardware clients that would take advantage of faster settings at this time.

0 Kudos

it seems mine literally just changed... but only after I...

Zokamba
Grasshopper

it seems mine literally just changed... but only after I switched it to bridge mode and then back... now I can update it again so maybe someone saw the comments here and changed it or the bridge mode and back trick did it... I didn't notice much difference on 5g but 2.4 went from 15-ish mbps to 100-120mbps so it was huge to switch to 20/40 channel bandwidth... will see when I finish building my new computer which has wifi6...   I rarely have issues with wired (always in correct range) but wireless can be tricky with so many people in range in my condo.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help