Shaw Discontinuing Email?

fivethej
Grasshopper

Alan Perry on Tech Talk claims both Shaw & Telus are discontinuing email. He claims the reason has to do with small company Shaw uses as email provider.

Is this true or not? Perry has a history of spewing a lot of misinformation.

Labels (2)
11 Replies

Doubtful. It would be an nightmare to get people off of t...

rstra
Grand Master

Doubtful. It would be an nightmare to get people off of their email service and they also use it to retain customers.

I personally believe that being skeptical of any informat...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

I personally believe that being skeptical of any information you hear fro ma indirect source to be the best approach.

Let's hypothetically assume Shaw does lose a hosting contract with the "small company" for email. I am positive that they will find an alternative, including migrating existing email accounts to a new platform.

I believe when Shaw email first launched the email addresses were @Home.com or something like that. Maybe this Perry guy is just late to the game of announcing the change to @shaw.ca? 😛

I haven't heard of any news about this. I've personally u...

shaw-tony

@fivethej I haven't heard of any news about this. I've personally used Shaw emails for years and understand the value it provides to our customers. This story is not true.

Hi   Is there any info on what happens to Shaw Email if/w...

tc10
Grasshopper

Hi @shaw-tony 
Is there any info on what happens to Shaw Email if/when Rogers takes over.  I have over 100 interfaces that use my Shaw email account that I would have to manually log into and change each one. at 5 minutes each that is  500/60 = about 8+ hours and then I need to also ensure all of  my key contacts are aware before a change. Also we would need to look at how to archive our email.  If the move is to Yahoo, we would be concerned about the security & privacy concerns of previous Yahoo hacks and data losses. Does Yahoo encrypt stored emails on their sites. Are they selling customer info to 3rd parties? 

I am happy to delete this if Rogers keeps Shaw.ca domain for us otherwise people need to start preparing especially if this change happens over the summer and aso if they have a business that uses a shaw.ca extension to update their websites, socialmedia, etc.

As well, my sister mentioned that she has not seen any mention of a Shaw email migration in our monthly billing statements to prepare people for theit time to migrate all of their interfaces & contacts.

Thanks for insights. 

0 Kudos

In Ontario, Rogers seems to have outsourced e-mail to Yah...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

In Ontario, Rogers seems to have outsourced e-mail to Yahoo (branded as Rogers Yahoo! E-mail).  My guess is that they may shut down Shaw e-mail and offer the Yahoo alternative here in BC once the takeover is complete.  What I may do is to continue my slow migration to MS Outlook.com e-mail, or perhaps to Google G-mail. 

It will be a monster pain in the neck. 

0 Kudos

--   2020-04-11 05:56 PM --- Alan Perry on Tech Talk clai...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kenohrn --   2020-04-11 05:56 PM --- Alan Perry on Tech Talk claims both Shaw & Telus are discontinuing email. 

That is over two years ago.

The only changes that I have seen are:

1. Telus has "out-sourced" their "back-end" E-mail systems to Alphabet/Google. So, any E-mail sent to you is temporarily stored on Google's servers.
  2. Shaw has "out-sourced" its spam-filtering (both "outbound" and "inbound") to a company that specializes in spam-filtering.

So, both Shaw & Telus have "discontinued" parts of their E-mail handling.  One can still use "somebody@telus.net" and "somebody@shaw.ca".  But, like the Wizard of Oz, what happens behind the curtain has changed.

0 Kudos

Hey tc10, Rogers and Shaw will continue to operate as sep...

shaw-tommy

Hey tc10,

Rogers and Shaw will continue to operate as separate companies until the transaction closes, and it is too early to determine whether changes may occur after the transaction closes. We have a lot of work to do between now and then. As new information becomes available, we are committed to ensuring that you, our customers, are updated. We don't have any additional information regarding the @shaw.ca e-mail in specific, but rest assured that you will have notice of any changes that may affect you.

Thanks for reaching out, 

Tommy

Dear Shaw Client, IS THIS A SCAM ??????????????????????...

GYey
Grasshopper

Dear Shaw Client,   IS THIS A SCAM ???????????????????????????
We are shutting all old forms of our Letter box as of June 20th.

If it's not too much trouble, follow the connection underneath to refresh your record

*Link removed*

Much appreciated,

Shaw Webmail.

Security Strategy | Client service
Shaw | Protected by copyright law.  

0 Kudos

Haha, fake. The scammers aren’t even trying anymore. 😆😆😆

rstra
Grand Master

@GYey Haha, fake. The scammers aren’t even trying anymore. 😆😆😆

0 Kudos
TALK TO US