Shaw email not working with Gmail app

hevykev
Grasshopper

The Gmail app on my Android phone updated last night.  Today my Shaw exchange email was not working.  The only option Gmail gave me was to delete the account.  When I try to add the account again, I get the message:

"Can't add account.

Gmail's security settings are more secure than those set by your IT admin.

Contact your IT admin for help."

Has anyone else had this issue?

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Got that error as well.Tried removing the account and fol...

saini_family
Grasshopper

Got that error as well.Tried removing the account and followed the guide on Shaw's website still get the same error message. Looks like Shaw needs to update there services to make in more compatible with the more secure requirements.

0 Kudos

A quick work around is to add the Shaw Email account to t...

saini_family
Grasshopper

A quick work around is to add the Shaw Email account to the Gmail app using the IMAP instructions. This will restore email access, but calendar and contacts will be unavailable until Shaw updates their Exchange service.

0 Kudos

I had the same problem with two Shaw email accounts I had...

gh42
Grasshopper

I had the same problem with two Shaw email accounts I had set up on my Android phone using Gmail. This had happened to me once before a few months back. This time, after trying several things unsuccessfully, I ended up having to delete both accounts and add them again. I chose account type "Other" and POP3, which worked so at least I've got email access back on my device. If you need the extra functionality of Exchange, that may not be sufficient for you (I didn't try setting up other account types). Getting caught between Google, Microsoft, and Shaw leaves lots of room for things to fall between the cracks, it seems.

0 Kudos

due to higher security requirements, I'd recommend updati...

shaw-tony

@hevykev @gh42 @saini_family due to higher security requirements, I'd recommend updating your email password to something very strong, then updating it on the app for the exchange server to work. Let me know how that goes!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help