What do people use 1Gbps for?

Yo_Sup
Grasshopper

Langley834721

So what's all that 1Gbit internet speed for since the upload speed is still 25Mbps? 
Plex requires at least 25Mbps up to stream 4K remotely

Yo_Sup I have no idea to be honest, doesn't seem to be ma...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Yo_Sup
I have no idea to be honest, doesn't seem to be making sense, right?
I'd say for 90% 1 Gigabit speeds are not required, I know for me its just a want, faster is better 🙂
Like a fast car, you could go fast but don't have to...technology advances....
Also think of your LAN. 1Gig has been around forever, soon 10Gbit and then you can transfer files from/to your NAS much quicker....
I would have most likely switched to Telus Fiber with symmetrical up and down speeds but not available where we live...
I think in 2 years Shaw will offer its customers a unique new plan, of course you have to commit to 2 years again 🙂
That plan will be unique. Gigabit download and up to 50 Mbps uploads, LOL

Having said all that, I am OK as long as the price stays roughly the same and when thinking of it. I just switched to VOIP in our house so saving on phone charges...its all Internet in my case...

0 Kudos

I find FAST tends to report artificially high. Shaw Speed...

rickatk
Master

@langley834721 wrote:

Yo_Sup. 
Of course my reply in this thread goes back to the initial posting:
"My previous XB6 “Technicolor” was stuck around 600mbps download after upgrade to Gigabit plan for several days; multiple check on modem provisions, RF signal looks good, Cat6 Ethernet, Gigabit Network Card, tested both router/bridged, direct/wifi, the tech gave up and issued replacement of XB6."

I basically had the same issue for a couple days, never got to 700, usually around 630....only after one Technicolour modem swap (didn't do anything) the "Corbio" solution leaving bridge mode and applying various setting changes, and then turning bridge mode back on in my case worked for me...
Just checked and not sure if FAST is even correct, now it seems too fast?!
When I repeat the test it varies between 800 and 930Mbps....
To be truthful, those speeds are a total overkill, 300Mbps would be plenty 🙂
Clipboard03.jpg

I find FAST tends to report artificially high. Shaw Speedtest and Ookla tend to be more accurate.

> I think in 2 years, Shaw will offer its customers a uni...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I think in 2 years, Shaw will offer its customers a unique new plan, of course you have to commit to 2 years again. Gigabit download and up to 50 Mbps uploads.

Today, Shaw offers 1 Gigabit download and up to 25 Mbps uploads. In two years, I would expect something much better!

> I'd say for 90% 1 Gigabit speeds are not required.

I agree.  Today, how many web-servers and file-servers on the Internet can continuously send at that speed, especially to multiple simultaneous gamers? Not many.

> Like a fast car, you could go fast, but don't have to.

A fast car does not help, on a trip to the local Tim Hortons.

Similarly, a Gigabit connection to GMail, and then you spend a few minutes reading through a message (not using any Internet), is just overkill.  Also, streaming (YouTube, Zoom, Global TV app) takes "only" a few Megabits per second.

Agree 100%. I mainly use the bandwith for cloud upload of...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Agree 100%. I mainly use the bandwith for cloud upload of hundred of gigabytes of Lightroom stuff, camera raw files...
so the fast downloads other than streaming do nothing for me...
For sure the "older" ones here remember the dial up days so myself I am quite happy where we are these days anyway....

DL.jpg

0 Kudos

“That plan will be unique. Gigabit download and up to 50...

rstra
Grand Master

“That plan will be unique. Gigabit download and up to 50 Mbps uploads”

That is probably pretty accurate they have achieved gigabit speeds, doubtful that they will introduce any faster download for quite some time. They seriously need to work on those upload speeds. Hopefully, the upgrades to the nodes are completed soon and we will get those faster speeds. 

On 600 plan I get these speeds

Papsey2019
Grasshopper

On 600 plan I get these speeds 

20200607_220852.jpg

Your speeds seem to be rotated by 90 degrees, package lo...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Your speeds seem to be rotated by 90 degrees, package losses to be anticipated 🙂

After a couple of days I am still seen consistent fast sp...

langley834721
Grasshopper

After a couple of days I am still seen consistent fast speeds via my Asus RT-AC86U router (CAT 6 Ethernet cable to Technicolour modem and then a couple switches...)
Screenshot of our Apple TV 4K (Ethernet connection) so really happy with the new Gig plan or at least not having any complaints but the "slow" upload speeds....

IMG_8334.jpg

Are you getting those speeds over wifi? What router?

rickatk
Master

@LKYeLKYe wrote:

I don’t normally post on the forum but just like to provide my experience on recent upgrade from Internet 600 to Fibre+ Gig plan.

My previous XB6 “Technicolor” was stuck around 600mbps download after upgrade to Gigabit plan for several days; multiple check on modem provisions, RF signal looks good, Cat6 Ethernet, Gigabit Network Card, tested both router/bridged, direct/wifi, the tech gave up and issued replacement of XB6.

The new XB6 arrived today, it’s the “Arris” version, reprovision and running in bridge mode now, download is now at 900mbps.

Maybe bad luck with the Technicolor XB6.

Are you getting those speeds over wifi? What router?

0 Kudos