> My previous XB6 “Technicolor” was stuck around 600mbps...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> My previous XB6 “Technicolor” was stuck around 600mbps download after upgrade to Gigabit plan for several days

That could be an "administrative" delay, i.e., some technician at Shaw not "flipping the switch" for several days. It could be their "tracking-system" software -- somebody in "Billing" creates a work-order, and queues it to the "technical" group's queue of work-orders. Once the work-order reaches the top of the queue, some technician takes ownership of the work-order, and then "flips the switch".

> tested both router/bridged, direct/wifi,

> The new XB6 ... download is now at 900mbps.

> Are you getting those speeds over wifi? What router?

It is possible, if both the router and the WiFi adapter inside your device support the "AC" wireless protocol, not the older/slower "N" or "G" protocols. Technology improves, and prices drop.  A long time ago, I paid $400 for one stick of 16 MB (not GB) of RAM, and $100 for a 1 GB (not TB) disk-drive. Yes, I'm that old. 🙂  Back then, owner/operator computer-stores could make a living on their mark-up (e.g., 20% of $400) for 1 sale of hardware. Now, such a computer-store needs to sell "service" (repair, upgrade) not "raw" hardware, if they want to stay in business.

0 Kudos

No, never over Wi-Fi in my case. I use an AC router (Asus...

langley834721
Grasshopper

No, never over Wi-Fi in my case.

I use an AC router (Asus RT-AC86U) and then run a Gigabit Network through the house with 4 to 5 switches where wired devices connect, Apple TV in the basement for example. PC, printers....
My iphones and notebooks are on Wi-Fi and usually connect with 866.7 Mbps Speed, depends on the adapter. in the device..
I see around 400-600 Mbps on Wi-Fi.
That makes the Ethernet connection attractive, even after around 100m you get almost Gigabit speeds....
Also when you have a network in the house you can simply plug in a $50 router and make it an wireless AP (Access Point) when setting it up....that allows you to reduce "dead spots" in your home...(you would choose a different Wi-Fi channel in that case to avoid issues)...

0 Kudos

I am ok with 1Gbps and probably won’t jump from there for...

rickatk
Master

I am ok with 1Gbps and probably won’t jump from there for some time. I was looking for more bandwidth to support my wireless tv players and the wireless devices in the house. I think I have found that with the Shaw Fibre Gig plan.

0 Kudos

After much testing and with the assistance of a Tier Two...

rickatk
Master

After much testing and with the assistance of a Tier Two tech at Shaw, all systems are running normal, after provisioning at two levels. 

The end results:

All my devices connect via Dual Band WiFi. 
My devices include an i7 SSD iMac, iPad Pro 10.5, iPhone SE(v2), 4 Wireless TV players. My wife is using similar devices and a host of smart home devices, network speakers and a smart TV.

Because I am not using Ethernet the best I can expect for download speeds is around 600Mbps over wifi according to literature I found online and talking to the Shaw techs. In fact I am getting up to 750 Mbps download on the iMac. The iPads and new SE’s are getting download speeds of 450 - 500 Mbps. In all cases upload speeds are consistently 26Mbps.

Subjectively I believe the TV players are running more smoothly with multiple users watching TV.

All other devices are running well.

The main reason I opted for the Fibre Gig plan was greater network stability around my house. While I don’t see 1Gbps download speeds on any single device, over all my devices as a whole are running better. Web pages are more peppy and refresh fast. The TV is looking good and stable. 

Hats off to Shaw. They really stepped up to the plate, answering my questions about this new service and ensuring my system was running well. 

During this round if inquiries all Tier One was done using Chat. I found the techs to be very responsive and the messaging platform easy to use.

This forum continues to be very helpful too.

All in all I am pretty happy with the upgrade.

So this is weird! Noticed yesterday that my modem was bro...

langley834721
Grasshopper

So this is weird!

Noticed yesterday that my modem was broadcasting tons of hidden Wi-Fi channels after I manually turned off bridge mode in the GUI, disabled the Wi-Fi and later put the modem back into bridge mode.
I did all that to get the gigabit speeds...

I did not like the modem to broadcast these hidden channels so asked Shaw to bridge on their end what they did.
Now the hidden Wi-Fi cannel broadcast is turned off (good!) but the DL speed is down to ~630Mbps.

I don't get it. Its not that the modem would be defective, its not my computer, it doesn't matter if I directly connect to the modem via Ethernet or router.
It must be the bridging of the modem...so tonight I will restore the modem via the GUI and set up as new....

What is the differnence between GUI bridge mode and Shaw remotely enabling bridge mode?

0 Kudos

I’ve read that the hidden broadcast is related for tech t...

LKYeLKYe
Grasshopper

I’ve read that the hidden broadcast is related for tech to setup Shaw TV box only, as it can’t be used for anything else. It seems the whole Technicolor XB6 gigabit Bridge Mode issue is not unique to Shaw, as other providers in US also has the same problem. US consumer has the option to buy their own modem to resolve it, but unlucky for us may need to wait til XB7...XB8... whatever comes next.

Yes, I am aware of that, but Shaw usually disables this h...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Yes, I am aware of that, but Shaw usually disables this hidden broadcast on request, you just have to ask...I don't see anything hidden right now.

Are you saying there is a trade off between speed and hidden broadcast?

I will again put the modem out of bridge mode, disable Wifi and then put back in bridge mode via the GUI. Most of my stuff is wired so in the end I would rather live with the hidden broadcast if you know what I mean....

0 Kudos

-- Noticed yesterday that my modem was broadcasting tons...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@langley834721 -- Noticed yesterday that my modem was broadcasting tons of hidden Wi-Fi channels ...

If you have the BlueCurve, those channels are used to communicate via WiFi with the remote TV boxes inside your home.

Also, Shaw owns Freedom Mobile, and the Hitron and the BlueCurve modems broadcast a WiFi channel for customers of Freedom Mobile to connect via WiFi, but you can disable this network. Shaw says that this network does NOT affect the speed of your cable-modem.

0 Kudos

Only the Hitron is broadcasting the ShawMobilehHotspot at...

rstra
Grand Master

Only the Hitron is broadcasting the ShawMobilehHotspot at this time.

0 Kudos

That is not correct. The XB6 (BlueCave Modem) is broadcast...

langley834721
Grasshopper

That is not correct. The XB6 (BlueCave Modem) is broadcasting hidden channels. 

0 Kudos