Shaw Hitron Modems are Absolute Garbage

sh_wmodems-suck
Grasshopper

I'm wondering what kind of garbage disposal is appropriate for the Hitron CGNM-2250 modem/router supplied by Shaw?

I understand that regular garbage disposal is for regular garbage. But since this is some exceptional garbage, I'm wondering if theres some sort of exceptional garbage disposal procedure for this trash hardware?

Wifi constantly drops. WAN connection drops. Network traffic intermittently slow. The hardware device itself is non responsive or extremely slow to render the login page - indicating a performance issue. Rebooting the device sometimes help temporarily  - problems always come back.

I've disabled all unnecessary features - including the one where Shaw sells parts of my internet and radio bandwidth to other customers.

How do i get a new wifi router? I think a different model would be best.

Thanks

Labels (2)
7 Replies

Probably, your modem is "rented" (but with a net of zero-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Probably, your modem is "rented" (but with a net of zero-cost per month) from Shaw. So, if you "garbage" it, and then terminate your Shaw services, Shaw will charge you for not returning the "rented" device.

See the Return-IT web-site for locations for responsibly sending all electric/electronic hardware to its "end-of-life".

> WiFi constantly drops. WAN connection drops. Network traffic intermittently slow.

> The hardware device itself is non-responsive, or extremely slow to render the login page - indicating a performance issue.

In contrast, my Hitron has been "rock-solid", with none of those symptoms.

Have you contacted Shaw?  They can remotely connect to the device, to see if it is "out-of-specifications".  If it is, Shaw will schedule a site-visit to a technician to trouble-shoot, and maybe replace it.  Or, after the online trouble-shooting, you could offer to take the device to the nearest Shaw retail outlet, and get a replacement.

Have you tried changing the coaxial cable between the device and your wall-port?

Have you tried changing the Ethernet cable between the device and your computer? Use a "CAT-5e" or a "CAT-6" cable, not a "CAT-5" cable.

Have you tried putting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) between your device and the electrical wall-port, to supply "smoothed" power to the device (and, optionally, to your computer)?

Pick yourself up a decent wireless router and instruct Sh...

Treebeard
Grasshopper

Pick yourself up a decent wireless router and instruct Shaw to bridge your cable modem.   I'm using a Linksys Velop mesh system but the jury is still out on it.  

Perhaps it's just the Hitron device which was given to me...

sh_wmodems-suck
Grasshopper

Perhaps it's just the Hitron device which was given to me with these issues. I don't think it's related to power reliability because the device does not ever lose power. Nothing related to CAT5 because i only use wireless.

The coaxial cable is brand new, i don't suspect this to be a problem.

Shaw have agreed to dispatch a tech who will replace the device.

I want a different router one with antenas for wifi.  My...

Wood1777
Grasshopper

I want a different router one with antenas for wifi.  My lan is really slow.  It seems to trottle down all the time Please get me a better router.

0 Kudos

-- I want a different router; one with antennas for wifi....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Wood1777 -- I want a different router; one with antennas for wifi. 

The Hitron's antenna is internal. Same for the BlueCurve cable-modem.

Shaw Business customers get a different Hitron (no fan, 4 LAN ports, 1 Gbit speed), but no external antenna.

> My LAN is really slow. 

Is this traffic between two computers on your home network? Disconnect the coaxial-cable from the cable-modem, and see if your computer-to-computer speed is any better.

> It seems to throttle down all the time

Connect one of your computers (at least 3 Ghz for the CPU) via a CAT-5e, or CAT-6, Ethernet cable to your cable-modem. Then, run the Shaw Speed Test. What numbers do you get? What speed are you paying Shaw to provide?

> Please get me a better router.

This is a "user-to-user" forum, not an official path to contact Shaw.  I recommend that you contact Shaw (currently, online chat is given priority over telephone) and get Shaw to "trouble-shoot" your speed issue.

P.S. Shaw says that they do not "throttle".

I'm having the same issue even after changing the modem....

Jiyong
Grasshopper

I'm having the same issue even after changing the modem. I strongly believe the Hitron device is the reason for the unstable wifi. Telus didn't have this issue and was more stable but its wired internet speed was slower than Shaw, so I'm sticking to Shaw for now. Shaw agent over the phone suggested Blue Curve, but I'm not quite sure if that's gonna fix it or just cost me more. 

0 Kudos

-- talk again to a Shaw Agent, and ask them to remotely l...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jiyong -- talk again to a Shaw Agent, and ask them to remotely logon to your modem, to view the "signal strength" reaching your modem, and to view other statistics.  A poor signal-level can cause your symptoms.

There are now two BlueCurve modems -- the "XB6" and the "XB7". For brand-new Shaw customers, Shaw offers the XB7 with a 500 Mbps speed.  Earlier this year, existing Shaw customers had to upgrade to 1000 or 1500 Mbps to qualify for the XB7 modem. Yes, that will cost a bit more, but if you are a Shaw Mobile customer, paying $45/month, then upgrading to 1000 Mbps will reduce your Shaw Mobile bill to $25/month. (This assumes that you have brought your own phone to Shaw Mobile, and are not making monthly payments to finance a new phone.)

I suppose that you can appeal to Shaw that your Hitron has a problem, and that you need the XB7, as a replacement. Or, that you want to upgrade to 1000 Mbps to get the $25 rate for your Shaw Mobile service.

TALK TO US
We're here to help