Would be interesting to try another router and bridge the...

rstra
Grand Master

Would be interesting to try another router and bridge the BlueCurve. I have had issues with the range with my BC, partly because it isn’t in the most central part of the house. The pods initially worked fine, then I began having issues, so I got a Netgear  extender, to cover a dead spot. My previous router was an Asus Dark Knight which I could connect to at the neighboring park, but I sold it when I got BlueCurve (mistake).  

My pod is useless. There is great wifi up the top of the...

Fadup
Grasshopper

My pod is useless. There is great wifi up the top of the house ours is nonexistent 

0 Kudos

-- There is one cable connected to the modem, linked to a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JyL -- There is one cable connected to the modem, linked to a hub in the panel, and I got the Ethernet cable connected to the hub there

So, you have: cable-modem --> Ethernet cable (hopefully CAT-5e or CAT-6) --> hub --> Ethernet cable (hopefully CAT-5e or CAT6) --> your computer

Are there any other Ethernet cables connecting from the hub to other computers?

If so, the issue here is that a hub is quite "stupid" -- any packet that it receives, it transmits to EVERY connected device, and it is the responsibility of the network adapter card in each device to say "oops -- that packet was not addressed to me, I will ignore it". Instead, if you had a "switch" instead of the "hub", it would transfer each incoming packet only to ONE connected device.

So, if you have two computers both actively gaming through the hub, each computer would be discarding 50% of the incoming packets.  The "discard" is done at a very "low-level" -- by the network adapter card, not by Windows, but it still adds "load" onto the network card. A "big" load? Definitely not, but maybe a "noticeable" load.

0 Kudos

-- My pod is useless. There is great wifi up the top of t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Fadup -- My pod is useless. There is great wifi up the top of the house; ours is nonexistent.

If you only have one pod, it should be placed "halfway" (both vertically and horizontally) between the BlueCurve and your WiFi device. Is yours positioned like that?

Compare to a BlueJays outfielder throwing the ball to the cut-off player, and the cut-off player throwing the ball to the catcher -- two strong throws, rather than a "weak" throw from the outfielder directly to the catcher.

0 Kudos

-- I don't think there is anything wrong my adapter To re...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JyL -- I don't think there is anything wrong my adapter

To repeat, I disagree, especially when you say that the WiFi signal is poor when 10 feet away.

Contact Shaw Support, and ask them to ship (via Canada Post) a replacement cable-modem to you.  If Shaw wants to keep you as a customer, they should oblige.

0 Kudos

Hi: I just got a netgear nighthawk ac2100. Tried to see i...

JyL
Grasshopper

Hi: I just got a netgear nighthawk ac2100. Tried to see if it helps my problem.

not sure if I set it up properly or not. Called Netgear, every thing seemed done right. The WiFi speed, it’s not much slower than Shaw blue curve. The 5g mode is faster than Shaw, but range is shorter. 

I used the net gear apps, it shows my speed is at 300mbps, but Shaw speed test, will show only 40mbps. 

I can’t figure out why 

0 Kudos

Maybe the nighthaw isn't good enough, so I exchanged it f...

JyL
Grasshopper

Maybe the nighthaw isn't good enough, so I exchanged it for an Asus AX6000, little bit better.  Set it up without bridge mode, got max speed when I am next to it, but range is even shorter than the shaw modem.

Down from 320 MB to 20MB, shaw would show 100MB.  I can't even test to see if it's dropping like the shaw modem because it's so slow.

Called shaw to get help to see if set up is done properly and tried the bridge mode.  Once it's changed to bridge without change anything, I lost my wifi.  The shaw agent couldn't figure it out, unbridged it, I still couldn't get my wifi back, even on blue curve.  Restarted the modem, the ethernet is working, but still no wifi.  

He transfered me to someone, to reset my network, to get my wifi back, but refused to do the bridge mode for me again.  Saying they don't support it.

0 Kudos

-- range is even shorter than the Shaw modem If you take...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JyL -- range is even shorter than the Shaw modem

If you take your WiFi-capable device to some "free WiFi" location (Mcdonalds, TimHortons, Starbucks, ShawGo) and connect, what speed do you get when using the Shaw Speed Test? If it still is "slow", then I would suspect the wireless network adapter inside your computer.

Note that those "free WiFi" locations may be inherently slow. The "ShawGo" seems to have a maximum of 5.0 Mbps, but it is "free".

Do you have friends/family/neighbours with a notebook computer who can connect to your home WiFi, and run the Shaw Speed Test on their computer, instead of running it on your computer? Faster? Just as slow?

0 Kudos

Did Shaw manage to get  your BlueCurve and it’s wifi back...

rstra
Grand Master

@JyL  Did Shaw manage to get  your BlueCurve and it’s wifi back running? Do you have slow speeds on all devices, are you able to test a computer wired directly to the modem?

0 Kudos

The shaw tech that came to my house, connected to my wifi...

JyL
Grasshopper

The shaw tech that came to my house, connected to my wifi with his devices, phones, and had the same problem as me.  Did the test, next to the modem, full speed, because I combined the 2.4 and 5G, so only one connection, as we walked away from it, in the same floor, would get close to 50MB, from 300, sometimes, 100GB.  After moved up a level, then it's slower and slower, down to 20.

I found the same problem with the Asus router too, but it's connected to the modem, so not sure.

One strange thing was, with the nighthawks, there was an app that tested the speed there, and it's showing me full speed even if I am in second floor, but shaw speed test showed low speed.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help