I have done all of those things, and I've even swapped ro...

Phazetic99
Grasshopper

I have done all of those things, and I've even swapped routers. I have had coaxle cable from the utility box on the street of my house run accross my fence to the back of my house, into the utility room where it connects in the house, to eliminate the normal cable, and still the same issue. I don't even have the same computers as I did when this issue first appeared when I moved in.  I have used different ethernet cables.

I have spent months working with technicians to solve this, and I have found more stuff out then the technicians. I have even become friends with one of them that had to come so much. I turned him into a huge game of thrones fans. This is not in my home, even though it looks like it is. Well, I had a new thought, maybe my house is like the poltergeist house and some supernatural elements are screwing with the internet signal.

0 Kudos

I should mention that this graph came from my laptop whic...

Phazetic99
Grasshopper

I should mention that this graph came from my laptop which is on wifi. The wifi is a lot worse then my computer plugged into the ethernet. The ethernet plugged in computer doesn't seem to do the lap spikes as much, but it does show complete drops. My personal theory is that the drops happen a lot but fast enough that it doesn't register or affect too much. But something exasperates the drops causing a total black out, or dropped signal which then the devices all try to fix or reestablish the connection, but can't. Thats how it feels on my end.

If Telus Fiber does not fix this issue, then I will have to concede that it is inside my home somewhere. The ultimate troubleshoot

0 Kudos

one of the reasons why I feel this way is because in the...

Phazetic99
Grasshopper

one of the reasons why I feel this way is because in the past when I'm trying to figure this out, there is something that shaw can do from their end that will make my connection more stable temporarily. But then it will dissolve over time. This is why it is so frustrating to hear that it is coming from inside my home and why I am so adamant that it is not.

I should mention that the router has been used on every floor  in my house as well. It has not been in the same place, just to test if that is the reason

0 Kudos

-- I don't have the same computers as I did when this iss...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Phazetic99 -- I don't have the same computers as I did when this issue first appeared when I moved in.  I have used different Ethernet cables.

Have you tried a different coaxial-cable, between the wall-outlet and your cable-modem?

Can you get the friend/technician to unlock the Shaw "demarcation box", and then connect your cable-modem directly to the incoming cable, rather than going through the coaxial-splitter inside the box, and also not going through the coaxial-cables inside the walls of the house?

Maybe, use a UPS ("Uninterruptible Power Supply") to give "smooth" power to the cable-modem while it is directly connected to your "incoming" feed? Your laptop has its own power-supply, and battery, which should not be susceptible to any "power-spikes" or "brown-out" from BC Hydro.

Where can the problem be:

1. the Shaw infrastructure up-and-down your street
  2. the coaxial-cable from the telephone-pole to that "demarc" box
  3. the coaxial-splitter inside the box
  4. the runs of coaxial-cables inside the walls
  5. poor wiring of each of the wall-outlets
  6. coaxial-cable into the cable-modem
  7. Ethernet cable from the cable-modem to your computer

You've already tried #2 and #7, and probably #6.

Poltergeist? Who are you going to call? Ghostbusters!  🙂

0 Kudos

haha   Now you got me all interested in this crap again.....

Phazetic99
Grasshopper

haha

Now you got me all interested in this crap again... I bought pingplotter program to get some more info then the free version. I let it run just on my main PC, with both Ethernet, wireless receiver, and all combinations including no internet at all. PingPlotter shows steady signal. So now I'm trying just ethernet to see.

I do believe that we ran directly from telephone pole to router just to see if that was the issue, and if I remember, that was not solving the problem at that time. What did solve it at that time was to go to an older modem and seperate router. That seemed to solve the problem. But when I got the new Blue Curve modem for the shaw 300 package, the problem did creep back. It did not come back immediately but seemed to get steadily worse over time, as I've had bluecurve for a couple of years now. The problem as degraded to the point that I'm wanting to switch providers now.

I feel that the reason older modems did not seem to get the loss or dropped connection was because they weren't as sensitive as the newer equipment. I do feel that there is a problem with problem #1, but it won't be admitted to me from shaw. This leaves a bad feeling for me, having to deal with this the whole time and paying a premium for service that I'm not quite getting.

0 Kudos

-- I got the new Blue Curve modem for the shaw 300 packag...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Phazetic99 -- I got the new Blue Curve modem for the shaw 300 package

My "Internet 300" service works well, using the HITRON cable-modem. That is as fast as it goes, and it does not do 100 Mbps "upload".

Are you still getting significant "packet-loss" between your Ethernet-connected computer and your cable-modem?

The response-time for that segment should be 1 or 2 milliseconds, and it should be 0% loss.

0 Kudos

Hi: One very interesting finding, after all the tests I h...

JyL
Grasshopper

Hi:

One very interesting finding, after all the tests I have done with Shaw, hope some of the genius mind out there can see something from it.

The reason I got Shaw to look into all my issue, in the very beginning, with the Internet 300 and tv package back in April, the wifi signal was super weak, couldn't detect  over 10 ft away, I used my own extender, helped a little bit, with speed limited, so called Shaw, and they sold me their pods, worked little bit better than the ones I had, but still weak.

They checked my wire, remotely and determined everything looked fine, but they couldn't come in at the time, so they sold me their new wireless TV boxes, no wire required, better equipment.  Still used the old blue curve modem, not much difference in speed and performance, except the internet began to drop.  After gone through few technician, someone decided to swap my blue curve even though I just got it in April, that's where I seen a significant increase in range.  I could have signal for the entire house, which didn't happen before when I had wired boxes.  The speed was 2 times better than with the pod, in other word, the pods were useless.  Except, with the faster speed, it made the signal dropped that much more obvious.

Most the time, the connection to the blue curve gave me better speed than connected to the google nested wifi.

Even when I used 3rd party router, my internet still dropped, and I stared using the google nest wifi, the speed keeps getting better, but dropped, so at the end, the shaw tech line, said, the wireless box might be the issue, it's creating a congestion, causing intermittent drops.  Changed back to wired tv boxes, should fix the issue.

I changed it back to wired boxes at their request.  I don't know if it fixed the drops, but my wifi speed, went back to the same old problem, very weak,  signal decreased dramatically, same blue curve modem.  On usual spot where I could see 150MB download, it's now about 1/3.  I didn't bridge my google router, it's about the same.

Shaw sent a tech to did the swap, the tech actually said, with the wired boxes, the TV should be better, but the internet might be affected, because the coax cable needs to split into the TV and the modem now,  the splitter reduces the speed, which puzzles me.  It's like a dead end here.

I have get reliable TV, without reduced internet, for some reason, or improved internet but with other issues, such as drops, and frozen screen on the TV at times.

0 Kudos

having all of the same issues, pods are useless the speed...

KS06
Grasshopper

having all of the same issues, pods are useless the speed drops <10mbps The Modem has been replaced twice same issues. connected directly you full performance. Telus works well for my neighbour. Might be time to switch

0 Kudos

-- pods are useless the speed drops <10mbps  The speed dr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@KS06 -- pods are useless the speed drops <10mbps 

The speed drops _to_ 10 Mbps, or it drops _by_ 10 Mbps?

If you power-off the pod, and instead put your WiFi-enabled device at the same location, how good is the signal-strength from your device to your BlueCurve?  If the signal is "1 bar" or "2 bars", then the pod was only receiving that low level of a signal. In that case, move your WiFi-enabled device "one room closer" to the BlueCurve, and see if you get "full bars". If you do, then the pod should be placed at that location, and your WiFi-enabled device can be moved to "one room further away" (or maybe 2 rooms) from the BlueCurve, and still get "2 bars" or "3 bars" for signal-strength.

--  the coax cable needs to split into the TV and the mod...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JyL --  the coax cable needs to split into the TV and the modem now,  the splitter reduces the speed, which puzzles me. 

Do not be puzzled.

Instead, look at the labels on the "1-to-2" splitter. Each output should be labelled as "3.5 decibels", meaning that the "output" signal-strength is that much lower than the "input" signal-strength to the splitter.

So, the splitter does lower the signal-strength, slightly, which could slightly reduce the connection-speed.

You can see that having a "low" signal-strength entering the splitter will result in a "lower" signal-strength leaving the splitter.

So, if that "low" signal is down at a "marginal" level, that is a problem that a Shaw technician should come to your home to investigate. Or, if you do an online chat with a Shaw Agent, they can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the level of the signal-strength going into the cable-modem, and then dispatch a technician.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help