Shaw server blocking emails from domain, it used to work until Friday afternoon

SebastianNorthV
Grasshopper

Hi,

When sending mail from the domain riconlalo.com (hosted by Google/Gsuite/Gmail), it is being rejected by Shaw.

Here is the error:
Bounced
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain shaw.ca by shw-central.mx.a.cloudfilter.net. [15.222.199.59]. The error that the other server returned was: 552 5.2.0 sender rejected AUP#SNDR

Can you please help us solve this, we need to receive mail from riconlalo.com.

Thanks in advance,

Labels (1)
32 Replies

I could receive, but not send to anyone, from my host (Sh...

ericbent
Grasshopper

I could receive, but not send to anyone, from my host (Shaw) through my email client. I was able to send from my other host (Outlook). The helpline for my email client says it is a Shaw problem. Shaw wouldn't or couldn't help me. I fixed it by removing my Shaw host and adding it fresh again. That only  lasted 3 days. Now it sends to most but not to others. HELP me Shaw!!!

0 Kudos

-- The error that the other server returned was: 552 5.2....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ericbent -- The error that the other server returned was: 552 5.2.0 sender rejected AUP#SNDR

That "other server" seems to be from "CloudFilter" -- Shaw has out-sourced spam-filtering to this company.

$ nslookup -type=mx shaw.ca.

shaw.ca MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = shw-central.mx.a.cloudfilter.net

All E-mail to any "@shaw.ca" ID is sent to this Mail-Exchanger that is operated by CloudFilter.

> AUP#SNDR

AUP == Appropriate Usage Policy

SNDR ?== Sender

For some reason, known only to Shaw and/or to CloudFilter, the E-mail of the sender (taken from the FROM: field that your server is generating) has been flagged as being in violation of some A.U.P. 

Can you change the ID in the FROM: field?

This is a user-to-user discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support.  Contact them ( 1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) to ask why your E-mail ID is being blocked.

0 Kudos

-- HELP me Shaw!!! This is a peer-to-peer discussion grou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ericbent -- HELP me Shaw!!!

This is a peer-to-peer discussion group, not a path to Shaw Support.

Contact them: 1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat

> I could receive,

To do so, your E-mail program should be connecting to one of:

1. mail.shaw.ca

Name:    shawmail.glb.shawcable.net
Addresses:  64.59.128.135
Aliases:  mail.shaw.ca

2, pop.shaw.ca

Name:    pop.glb.shawcable.net
Addresses:  64.59.136.142
Aliases:  pop.shaw.ca

3, imap.shaw.ca

Name:    imap.glb.shawcable.net
Addresses:  64.59.128.135
Aliases:  imap.shaw.ca

> but not send to anyone, from my host (Shaw) through my email client.

> I was able to send from my other host (Outlook).

That client and that host should be connecting to:   shaw.ca MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = shw-central.mx.a.cloudfilter.net

or to your company's Microsoft Exchange Server (and that server must connect to the above host).

> The helpline for my email client says it is a Shaw problem.

Of course, it NEVER is their problem. 😞

> Shaw wouldn't or couldn't help me.

Sigh.

> I fixed it by removing my Shaw host and adding it fresh again.

Yes, recently, Shaw's "out-sourcing" of E-mail processing became active. If you deleted "stale" values, and added "current" values, that should have been the solution.

> That only  lasted 3 days. Now it sends to most but not to others.

What domains, e.g., "@telus.net" or "@gmail.com" are not successful ?

0 Kudos

I have been using a 3rd party email client to handle my S...

ericbent
Grasshopper

I have been using a 3rd party email client to handle my Shaw & Outlook accts for years. Last week my sending from Shaw was blocked. But sending was ok using Outlook with that email client, or sending strait from Shaw website. The error AUP#SNDR is from Shaw's filtering. I asked them to help with unblocking me. Here's their answer (copied from the Shaw help chat):

"Shaw is not blocking anything, just that Shaw is not supported on any 3rd party platform. And we don't provide any support or troubleshooting if you are using other than webmail. And if everything works well in webmail for you, you are recommended to use that only as its the only Shaw supported platform."
I have had my Shaw email address for about 2 decades with no problems using a 3rd party client. Shaw is not able to keep up with the times. It saddens me to let my Shaw email address go after all these yrs. Today I will be switching to my Outlook.com backup.

0 Kudos

-- I have been using a 3rd party email client to handle m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ericbent -- I have been using a 3rd party email client to handle my Shaw & Outlook accts for years.

An E-mail client interacts with an mail-server. So, you can use any E-mail client, but you'll still be interacting with the same mail-server.

More details are needed, to investigate your issue.

So,  what E-mail client(s) are you using, and to which mail-server are you connecting, e.g., "Windows 10 Mail connecting to Shaw's mail-server" or "Microsoft Outlook connecting to the web-hosting company's mail-server for your "riconlalo.com" domain?

What works to send E-mail? What does not work to send E-mail?

What works to receive E-mail? What does not work to receive E-mail?

> Last week my sending from Shaw was blocked. But sending was ok using Outlook with that email client, or sending strait from Shaw website.

Please clarify. What E-mail client were you using, and were you connecting to Shaw's mail-server?

Have you configured two different E-mail clients to send to Shaw's mail-server? If one works, and one does not work, then it follows that the configurations on the two clients are significantly different.

What do you mean by "sending straight from Shaw website" ? Are you using the Shaw WebMail client?

> The error AUP#SNDR is from Shaw's filtering.

Shaw no longer "internally" does the filtering. Shaw has "out-sourced" the mail-filtering to a company called "CloudFilter". Of course, Shaw still can tell CloudFilter to "unblock" a specific sender ID, e.g., "eric.the.red.bent@riconlalo.com".

If you change the ID that your E-mail client puts into the "FROM:" field, to something like "no-reply@riconlalo.com", does that bypass the issue?

> I asked them to help with unblocking me. Here's their answer (copied from the Shaw help chat): "Shaw is not blocking anything,

I think that the "not blocking" comment is incorrect.

> just that Shaw is not supported on any 3rd party platform. 

I do not understand what the Agent meant by that. Certainly, there are too many E-mail clients (Thunderbird, Eudora, Microsoft Outlook, Windows 10 Mail, Windows Live Mail, et cetera) for a Shaw Agent to be well-trained enough to offer accurate advice on all of them.

> And we don't provide any support or troubleshooting if you are using other than webmail.

I do not agree with the Agent. Shaw's web-site has FAQs for Microsoft Outlook.

> And if everything works well in webmail for you, you are recommended to use that only as its the only Shaw supported platform.

I think that this statement is somewhat "dismissive" in nature.

> I have had my Shaw email address for about 2 decades with no problems using a 3rd party client.

Which E-mail client?

> Shaw is not able to keep up with the times.

To the contrary, Shaw has purchased a cell-phone company, rebranding it as "Shaw Mobile".

Shaw has improved their E-mail filtering, by out-sourcing to CloudFilter.

Shaw has improved "upload" speeds to 100 Mbps on their XB6 modem.

Shaw is rolling-out the new XB7 modem, capable of download speeds over 1000 Mbits/second.

As @rstra as noted, Shaw is improving its infrastructure, in a "transparent" way -- you don't see the changes.

0 Kudos

OMG did I ever just-have the most soul-sucking session wi...

James-B
Grasshopper

OMG did I ever just-have the most soul-sucking session with a Shaw Agent over this very issue.  I lost track of the number of times that the Agent insisted I just "test with Shaw Webmail", even though I was adamant that the issue was Shaw CloudFilter's.  I asked the Agent multiple times to escalate to a level where I could talk intelligently to someone who understood what the issue was, and all he/she could come back with his "try Shaw Webmail".

One thing readily was apparent: they don't care.  They've outsourced to a 3rd party and they are totally non-responsive to this issue.

The conversation could have been far-less dragged-out with the Agent had they acknowledged that, yup, CloudFilter has got you, and we can't or won't help you.  Talking with the Shaw Agent was like the Dead Parrot episode of Monty Python; it went round-and-round and totally wasted my time.

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@James-B -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

Exactly what error-message are you seeing?

What E-mail client are you using, and what are the settings for "outgoing SMTP server" and "port number" and "authentication" ?

0 Kudos

Good Day! Here's the CloudFilter block message (actual se...

James-B
Grasshopper

Good Day!

Here's the CloudFilter block message (actual sender and receiver addresses redacted):

<xxxreceiver@shaw.ca >: host shw-central.mx.a.cloudfilter.net[15.222.199.59]

said: 552 5.2.0 <xxxsender@privatedomain.com > sender rejected AUP#SNDR (in

reply to end of DATA command)

I happen to be using Outlook, however, tests with my internal cPanel client (Roundcube) also are blocked from sending to any @shaw.ca address.

SSL/TLS, Port 465, as required by my domain email server.

Seems to be a straightforward issue - for whatever reason the outsourced CloudFilter service has recently blacklisted the domain.  What appears to be missing is any kind of mechanism to address the block.

If you are sensing some frustration from the prior post, you would be correct.  I'm a Shaw client and very clearly articulated the challenge to the frontline tech support agent, knowing that it was likely way above his/her pay grade and asking for guidance for "who to ask".  This has-to-be a sufficiently common occurrence that even frontline agents should be able to address it, even if it's to say "We have no mechanism for whitelisting CloudFilter-blocked domains"

I have a similar issue,   My domain is blocked and has be...

KeithP17
Grasshopper

I have a similar issue,

My domain is blocked and has been from some time, at first it was only sent, not its everything. I have a private server for one of my emails and have had issues for months, only being able to connect via cellular hot spot, or data/another server/modem.

My email worked fine with shaw for almost a year, now I can connect anywhere but home, even the webmail acts the same.

Confirmed the server is fine, and my modem also. It has had master reset, no parental controls, firewall was fine, but just unable to connect, as my other emails worked fine. Very frusterating.

I feel shaw has blocked the domain/email server at their end, beyond access or understanding of most of their technical support staff.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help