Shaw Throttle 6pm - 1am

online409
Grasshopper

This is a joke, or at least it has to be.

For 3 years I have been a Shaw customer on Shaw 300.

They lied to me about a promo package and after a year it expired and without warning my bill doubled.

Then I called them to cancel and the person on the phone gave me the same price I had been paying on a 2 year commitment.

I made the mistake of telling this person I was a Twitch streamer. Upon hearing that she changed her tone and went right to work.

For 3 years I never had an upload speed issue, ever. I did't lose 1 frame to slow speeds.

After that conversation, for the last 4 weeks my upload speed gets throttled between the hours of 6pm - 1am everyday.

You can set your watch to it and I'm not joking. At exactly 1am all the speeds come back.

It's clear Shaw has put a throttle on my bandwidth during the peak time of the day. They keep denying it. Trying to run the same test after same test.

It's a joke. They trapped me. Was totally done on purpose and Shaw should be ashamed of themselves.

I encourage everyone to leave this company. They are stealing my money. I honestly feel like going to small claims court. I'm paying for unlimited 300 down and 15 up. None of which I'm getting between 6pm and 1am.

Their Twitter support is a joke as well. "Ada" was yelling at me today and being very condescending. I have screenshots to backup all of what I have been saying in this thread. 

If you're thinking of getting Shaw or renewing... DON'T!!!

Labels (1)
7 Replies

we do not throttle internet services and apologize for an...

shaw-tony

@online409 we do not throttle internet services and apologize for any frustrations you've experienced with slower speeds. There may be several reasons why only your upload is affected such as poor signal, noise in the lines (within your neighbourhood), or a routing issue. Our support teams try their best to troubleshoot. If further investigation is needed, a service technician is scheduled or the issue is sent up to our engineers to resolve. 

Taking a look at your account, the issue was indeed sent up to our engineers to investigate and a resolution has been completed under INC0639286. Are you still noticing slow upload speeds?

0 Kudos

Did you ever get help with this because i see the exact s...

chaseberez
Grasshopper

Did you ever get help with this because i see the exact same issue as you where my upload is throttled during the times of 6pm to 1am

0 Kudos

> my upload is throttled during the times of 6pm to 1am A...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> my upload is throttled during the times of 6pm to 1am

Are there other computers connected (wired or wireless) to your Shaw router, who may be consuming all your "upload" bandwidth? Any "file-sharing" apps?

Any people who come home from $dayjob around 6 PM, and start online gaming, until they fall asleep at 1 AM?

Run the Shaw Speed Test, every 20 to 30 minutes, from 3 PM to 7 PM, and record your download/upload speeds, to see when it changes.

0 Kudos

no body uses the upload besides me ive been monitoring it...

chaseberez
Grasshopper

no body uses the upload besides me ive been monitoring it and besides 100kbs here or there no one other then me uses it in my house 

0 Kudos

Issue resolved?

derek_paquette
Grasshopper

I have been having similar issues with shaw too, opting for an upgrade wich did nothing to improve speeds last winter and even some devices can't connect to it if they are more than 15 feet away from the Modem. I hope the shaw "grand master" didn't just ask you those insulting questions(yeah they are insulting..It's the 21st century, we are forced to amalgamate with technology, we know 1 hardwired connection with no wireless devices leaching bandwidth will be the most accurate) to your intelligence and bow-out like it seemed.

Anyways did you find a solution? Those same questions and an offer to have a tech come in few weeks is all I get, which has done nothing so far so why would I or anyone continue?

In conclusion, I am pretty sure you are right about Shaw throttling bandwidth, however it makes sense they wouldn't be allowed to admit it. Smaller companies with reliable connections are popping up, maybe give them a try...I am about 99% there myself.

0 Kudos

-- I have been having similar issues with shaw too, optin...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@derek_paquette -- I have been having similar issues with shaw too, opting for an upgrade wich did nothing to improve speeds last winter and even some devices can't connect to it if they are more than 15 feet away from the Modem.

When you contacted Shaw Support, what trouble-shooting did they do? If the WiFi range was that small, Shaw should have replaced the cable-modem/router.

> Those same questions and an offer to have a tech come in few weeks is all I get, which has done nothing so far so why would I or anyone continue?

Last week, my friend booked a Shaw technician to come to her home, to connect a brand-new cable-run (done by an electrician) into the Shaw "demarcation-box" outside of her home. He arrived 3 days later, as scheduled, on a Sunday morning, at 8 AM.  That is good service!

> I am pretty sure you are right about Shaw throttling bandwidth,

Within this forum, Shaw employees have repeatedly said "Shaw does not throttle".  Hmm.

> Smaller companies with reliable connections are popping up, maybe give them a try...I am about 99% there myself.

What's keeping you from that final 1% ? Some term remaining on your existing Value Plan contract? Fear of the inconvenience of losing access to your "@shaw.ca" ID for all your online accounts (bank, gaming, et cetera) ?

0 Kudos

Shaw is

baboo
Grasshopper

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help