Since speed has doubled...

sparky1974
Grasshopper

I have the 150mbps plan for the last 2 years and it’s always been steady over wifi with my iphones, iPads or Mac.

( my router is an Apple Extreme, last gen )

5ghz: 170-175 dn / 15-16up

2.4ghz 70-80 dn / 15-16 up

Since last week, ( the double speed event ), my 5ghz goes from 160 mbps to 330 mbps, i‘m fine with it even if I no longer have a steady speed but the thing is I only get between 9 and 12 mbps dn and 6-7 up on my 2.4ghz now.

That’s the band used by all my Nest cameras and Sonos speakers.

Everything was fine and fluid before, but now it’s choppy...  at some point my speakers and cameras are unusable, useless.

I power cycled everything, twice, tried different channels, unplugged cameras and speakers, and I still have the same results.

Why is my 2.4 is slower and useless now!??

It was way better before!!

Help!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Since speed has doubled...

rickatk
Master

>Since last week, ( the double speed event ), my 5ghz goes from 160 mbps to 330 mbps, i‘m fine with it even if I no longer have a steady speed but the thing is I only get between 9 and 12 mbps dn and 6-7 up on my 2.4ghz now.

I am experiencing the same problem. I don’t know how long this has been going for because my router has always been set to Dual Band. I just discovered this problem whenI dedicated the 5GHz band thereby exposing all my devices running on the 2.4GHz band. When I switch my devices to the 5GHz band the speedmroars back.

My question is simple why do I get such slow speeds on the 2.4GHz band running on a 600GHz plan.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Those are realities of Wifi frankly, especially when you are talking 2.4ghz which literally any wireless device can interfere with.

rickatk
Master

jagerx9 wrote:

Those are realities of Wifi frankly, especially when you are talking 2.4ghz which literally any wireless device can interfere with.

Indeed... My old place was on a mountain, not a lot of neighbors. My new place I am in a subivision. I see way more wifi spots in the new neighbourhood. Another reason to move to 5GHz.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help