speed test good, internet slow or no connection or ip address not found

dualsport
Grasshopper

recently internet comes and goes, speedtests 4-5 mbps up to 260mbps randomly.  Then off for several minutes or longer.  Then it returns?

Typically a delay then it shows  ip address not found, then the webpage appears?

speed test might not load for several seconds, side advertisements fill in slowly then speed

is less than 10mbps.

Next time speed approached 300 mbps.  possibly followed by no internet for several minutes or longer.

'Is this a local problem?  I am in Fairview area of Nelson.

Labels (1)
3 Replies

-- Is this a local problem?   My guess is "yes", either:...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dualsport -- Is this a local problem?  

My guess is "yes", either:

• the Ethernet adapter inside your computer
  • the Ethernet cable between your computer and your cable-modem
  • the coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and your wall-port
  • the coaxial-cables inside your walls
  • bad connections inside Shaw's "demarcation box" on the outside of your house
  • the coaxial-cable between that box and the nearest telephone-pole

I recommend that you contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222) or www.shaw.ca/chat   to book a service call.

P.S. Note that yesterday was the 2nd Tuesday of the month. At 10 AM Pacific on the 2nd Tuesday, Microsoft releases security-updates for Windows.  So, your computer may have been "busy" yesterday, downloading & installing those updates, which can make Windows sluggish to respond, until the updates have been installed. 

0 Kudos

For two months now we drop the internet signal at random...

brmay
Grasshopper

For two months now we drop the internet signal at random times and the Shaw TV kicks out, stops for a minute, fluctuates back and forth et. This is in Nelson, Uphill. Up load speed tests vary from 128-539 depending on which equipment I use so that doesn't tell me anything. But I don't see any indication that Shaw monitors or responds to these comments do they? If so this is just a site to complain to each other. DOes anyone have reset solutions or suggestions?

0 Kudos

It is most likely a signal issue. Shaw doesn’t really par...

rstra
Grand Master

@brmay  It is most likely a signal issue. Shaw doesn’t really participate in these forums, so you would need to connect directly with them to troubleshoot and possibly send a technician to your home. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help