Jump to solution

That is Power Boost, a feature of the conventional high s...

rickatk
Master

@scypheroth wrote:

the test is strange also...when it start is JUMPS to my correct speed of 600 down then goes down to 150...

That is Power Boost, a feature of the conventional high speed internet services up to 600 Mbps.Short bursts of unused network capacity for starting downloads. Basically like accelerating in the merge lane of the “internet super highway.” You won’t see PowerBoost on Fibre+ Gig 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue. On Shaw 300 on blue curve (upg...

rbuisson
Grasshopper

I’m having the same issue. On Shaw 300 on blue curve (upgraded last week) and this morning speeds as low as 3.5 mbps. Worse yet their customer service has told me that this is to be expected. No apologies, no admission of wrong doing. No workable solutions. They kept reminding me that I was to get “up to 300 mbps” and therefore 3.5 mbps was somehow ok. So disappointed. Can’t even do a web call into the office at this point. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- They kept reminding me that I was to get “up to 300 mb...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rbuisson -- They kept reminding me that I was to get “up to 300 mbps” and therefore 3.5 mbps was somehow ok. So disappointed.

I agree that such a response is not acceptable, and that such a slow speed is not acceptable.

Do the usual checks:

1. if you have a 1-to-2 coaxial-splitter between your coaxial wall-port and your cable-modem, temporarily bypass it, by connecting the cable-modem directly to the wall-port, via the Shaw-supplied coaxial cable.
  2. try a different coaxial-cable between your wall-port and your cable-modem.
  3. try a different Ethernet cable between your computer and your cable-modem.
  4. be sure that the printing on the Ethernet cable shows "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6", because "CAT 5" cables are only certified up to 100 Mbps.
  5. make sure that all the coaxial-cables are tightly-connected at every connector.
  6. if you have other devices on your home network, turn them off, temporarily.
  7. open the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the "Performance" tab. Click on the "Ethernet" tab. Is it showing a lot of traffic, even when you think that your computer is "idle" ?
  8. is your computer in the middle of a large Windows Update, i.e., updating itself from the "1909" (September 2019) version of Windows 10 to the "20H2" (8th month of 2020) version? That task can monopolize the "background tasks" of your computer.
  9. use a friend's computer to connect to your WiFi, and to run the Shaw Speed Test, to see what a computer other than yours can do, through your cable-modem.

Contact Shaw Support via Shaw Chat, if you can, and get them to remotely logon to your cable-modem, for them to view the "signal-strength", and other indicators, for their signal reaching your cable-modem.

Jump to solution

Are You getting slow speeds on all devices, wired and wir...

rstra
Grand Master

@rbuisson Are You getting slow speeds on all devices, wired and wireless?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes. Wildly fluctuating speeds. Even my now wired PC gets...

rbuisson
Grasshopper

Yes. Wildly fluctuating speeds. Even my now wired PC gets variable rates of speed

Jump to solution

I feel the pain from everybody I am paying for gigabit In...

kronikbc
Grasshopper

I feel the pain from everybody I am paying for gigabit Internet speeds & barely breaking 550 to 600 mbps average ughh. I  haven't bothered calling in but from the sounds of it it would be a complete waste of time on my part anyway...

Jump to solution

-- .I  haven't bothered calling in but from the sounds of...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kronikbc -- .I  haven't bothered calling in but from the sounds of it it would be a complete waste of time on my part anyway

I disagree that it is a "complete waste".

Contact Shaw ( www.shaw.ca/chat ) or 1-888-472-2222, and get the Shaw Agent to remotely connect to your cable-modem, to view the "signal strength" reaching the device. If it is "out-of-spec", you won't get the maximum speed (940 Mbps for download, and 100 Mbps for upload).

After all, you are paying Shaw every month to get their services. Make them "earn" their money.  🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have had internet 750 and most definitely have never ev...

Poopy22
Grasshopper

I have had internet 750 and most definitely have never even come close to 700. Time to look at other options. 

Jump to solution

-- Internet 750 and most definitely have never even come...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Poopy22 -- Internet 750 and most definitely have never even come close to 700. Time to look at other options.

Contact Shaw Support ( www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222 ) and get the Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view its internal statistics, such as "signal strength".  Anything "out-of-spec" can limit your download/upload speeds.

Are you using the Shaw Speed Test to measure your speeds?

How fast is your computer? A slower computer (under 2.2 Ghz) cannot run the Shaw Speed Test at its full speed, which results in lower-than-expected numbers.

Shaw Support is "free" ("included" in your monthly payments). Give them a chance.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I agree, I live in Edmonton and I wouldve been better to...

DeclynLefebvre
Grasshopper

I agree, I live in Edmonton and I wouldve been better to have stayed in my small town in the middle of nowhere with one outdated tower.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help