Jump to solution

No, I do NOT have a computer with a faster processor. Thi...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

No, I do NOT have a computer with a faster processor. This morning, as soon as I got out of bed(6:60AM), I ran a speed test and got a very decent 750MBPS. https://shaw.speedtestcustom.com/result/5452fc20-cd04-11eb-8f00-bb1a4e3d0144

When I got the 850MBPS, it was after 10PM. The pattern seems to possibly reflect that there is LESS usage of "bandwidth in off hours in my neighborhood. . I will try and set my alarm and get up at about 2AM this coming morning. Stay Safe

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  I do NOT have a computer with a faster processor. Do...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg --  I do NOT have a computer with a faster processor.

Do you have a second computer, with an Ethernet connection?

The Shaw Speed Test web-page tells one how to verify the speed for customers who have the "Shaw Fibre+ Gig 1.5" service, namely to simultaneously run the test on two computers, and then add the two speeds (750 plus 750), to confirm the incoming-to-the-cable-modem of 1500 Mbps.

Can you try this method on two computers, e.g., getting "500 plus 500", to show that your cable-modem can receive at 1000 Mbps ?

>  I will try and set my alarm and get up at about 2AM

Check the Shaw Outages page for Manitoba, to ensure that Shaw will not being doing any "maintenance" at that time. That would be a "bummer" if you got "zero" speed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Well, I ran 3 devices simultaneously, my Laptop, with Gig...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Well, I ran 3 devices simultaneously, my Laptop, with Gig Ethernet speed, my wife's Samsung S2 with 833MBPS WIFI and my older phone with 433MBPSWIFI. The total that I got for the 3 devices was between 800 and 900MBPS. I have to concede, I had about 12+ other devices connected to the network at the same time. The other devices are light switches, plugs, doorbell cam, August deadbolt, just one Honeywell security camera and one thermostat, 2 Smart TVs. So, I guess I am getting pretty close to Gig speed.

I would like to have the outside line upgraded to the 21st century, but that is a battle to be fought after my 2 year value plan for the Gig speed expires in 2 years time.

Thanks for the "tip" about running the devices simultaneously.

Stay Safe everyone and Thanks for all the great advice.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I find this hilarious, I have internet 100, unlimited and...

tim65
Grasshopper

I find this hilarious, I have internet 100, unlimited and I'm lucky if I get 5mbts/sec download speed . over wifi although. my Shaw truly sucks!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

https://www.ivctel.com/internet   they use shaw lines and...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

https://www.ivctel.com/internet

they use shaw lines and cheaper and they use their own routing and their own backbone

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- they use their own routing and their own backbone Wow,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@cpmrich36 -- they use their own routing and their own backbone

Wow, if that is true. Having your own "backbone" costs thousands of dollars per kilometer to create -- digging trenches, and laying fiber-optic cables.

Their web-site states:

We are providing a choice of Cable, FTTN/DSL ("Service temporarily unavailable") 
and Fiber ("Coming soon in near future") Internet plans ...

Their web-site ( www.ivctel.com ) seems to be hosted in ONTARIO, although routed through ILLINOIS and OHIO:

4   11 ms  rc1bb-be20.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.75.245]
  5   28 ms  rc3so-be6-1.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.78.37]
  6   60 ms  rc4ec-be13.il.shawcable.net [66.163.65.18]
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8   60 ms  be2766.ccr42.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.177] (ORD == Chicago O'Hare airport)
  9   68 ms  be2718.ccr22.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.7.130] (Cleveland Hopkins airport)
 10  75 ms  be2994.ccr32.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.31.234] (Toronto airport)
 11  66 ms  38.142.60.170 (COGENT)
 12  67 ms  204.197.188.98 (CIK Telecom INC, Markham, ON)
 13  66 ms  206.130.22.176 (CIK Telecom INC, Markham, ON)

The company has 3 DNS-servers:

ivctel.com      nameserver = ns2.ivctel.com (hosted by Cogentco in Toronto, but routed through Cleveland)
ivctel.com      nameserver = ns3.ivctel.com (hosted via Hurricane Electric, in Seattle)
ivctel.com      nameserver = ns1.ivctel.com (hosted by Algoma College in Ontario, but routed through Cleveland)

I get the feeling that they use Shaw's backbone and/or the Cogentco backbone and/or the Telus/Bell backbone -- not their own.

One must buy/rent the cable-modem from them -- probably not "bring your own".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I'm lucky if I get 5 mbits/sec download speed . over w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tim65 -- I'm lucky if I get 5 mbits/sec download speed . over wifi although

What is your WiFi device? iPhone 4? 5? Samsung? Google? Android?

What do you get when using an Ethernet cable to a Windows 10 desktop or notebook computer?

However, no matter how you connect, getting only 5 mbps is terrible -- contact Shaw, and get them to trouble-shoot.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I recently purchased a new Asus 14 inch gaming laptop w...

tim65
Grasshopper

I recently purchased a new Asus ROG Zephyrus, 14 inch gaming  laptop with a Ryzen 9 processor  an RTX 3070 GPU 16 gigs of RAM. Purchased  this system just to run Microsoft flight Sim 2020. So far the largest problem has been downloading any large files. Flight Sim alone took a week to download the basic game  and the latest update, 1.1 7.3.0 has taken two weeks to download less than 20% of the files. I’ve been through all the forms it seems as though a small percentage of flight Sim users are having this problem and it’s not enough for Microsoft be concerned about.  I’ve tried all the known workarounds. And throttling download speeds through the command prompt doesn’t seem to be effective, and none of the other workarounds seem to apply to my specific problem. Running a speed test seems to produce around 20 MB a second download speeds which is quite shy of the 100 MB I should be getting through my specific  Account. At this point I’m considering possibly a problem with the hardware. No software solutions i.e. drivers or workarounds seem to of made any difference. When I am downloading actual files the system jumps between three and 5 MB per second And can’t crack over the 5 Mbits limit. So I’m not sure if this is a Shaw issue or not?And without an ethernet connection on the laptop I can only test over Wi-Fi, I get similar performance on other open Wi-Fi networks with the same magic numbers. At this point without an ethernet connection on the laptop I can only test over Wi-Fi, I get similar performance on other open wifi accounts . At this point without real support from Microsoft not sure where to turn. But thanks.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with my gigabit connection....

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

I am having the same problem with my gigabit connection. Up until last weekend (August 13, 2021), I was getting close to 900 down and 100+ up.

Since the weekend, I am now lucky if I'm getting 400-500 on Ethernet. 200-300 on WIFI. Had a tech at my residence yesterday and he blames it on my hardware of all 3 devices! Yup so my Galaxy S9, my New MSI Titan X laptop and my Desktop hardware all crapped out on the very same day. I call BS! He connects with his fancy S20 ultra phone and gets 1189 down on WIFI. Yet my hardware refuses to do so. and again Everything was fine up until last weekend.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

maybe check your hardware settings like if they are all o...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

maybe check your hardware settings like if they are all on 5ghz band or ethernet if it connects on 1 gb setting not 100.  sometimes setting canges like that can impact.  try reboot modem and restart your hardwares.  ope it goes well

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help