Jump to solution

--  New motherboard, same slow speeds. I'm at a loss as t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@BvrHunter --  New motherboard, same slow speeds. I'm at a loss as to what to do now?!?!

Do you live in a single-family residence, or in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building) ? Sometimes, the wiring in a MURB can be "non-optimal".

Is the motherboard the same model from the same manufacturer? It is possible that there is something wrong with the Ethernet adapter for all of the motherboards? You did buy (on Amazon) a Gigabit Ethernet adapter, correct? Can you connect that adapter into your computer, and connect it to your cable-modem, and rerun the Speed Test?

> I installed a new motherboard and I'm still only getting like 400-500Mbps down speeds and my up speeds are 70Mbps +. So it's not my hardware causing the issue.

How fast is each core on your CPU? The Shaw Speed Test needs at least a 2.5 Ghz CPU to run the Speed Test at its full speed, to get the largest numbers.

OK. Let's assume that the network adapter in your new computer is OK.

Try a different "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6" Ethernet cable between your computer and the cable-modem. Any difference?

Try connecting to a different LAN port on your XB7. Any difference?

Do you have a coaxial-splitter between your cable-modem and the coaxial wall-plate? If so, temporarily bypass it, to connect the coaxial-port on the XB7 directly to the coaxial-port on the wall-plate. Any difference?

Do you have an active coaxial-port in some other room in your house? Temporarily connect the cable-modem directly to that wall-port, and your computer directly to the cable-modem. Any difference?

Got any friends who are subscribed to 1000 (or 1500) Mbits/second service from Shaw, or from Telus? If so, take your computer and your Ethernet cable to that friend's location, and rerun the speed test. Any difference, now that you are not using the coaxial-cables hidden in the walls of your home ?

Contact Shaw, and get an Agent to remotely logon to your XB7, to view and analyze the "signal-strength" (and other numbers) that the cable-modem is monitoring.  You could have a bad coaxial-cable connecting from Shaw's "demarcation-box" on the outside of your home to the nearest telephone-pole. Being "out-of-spec" (as Shaw calls it), can affect your connection.

> Searching on the net, a lot of people are stating it's a Windows issue.

I doubt it, unless they have a good justification for their claim.

A lot of people on the Internet deny "global-warming".  😞

> Since I installed a new motherboard, wouldn't I have to buy Windows 10 again to reinstall from scratch???

It depends. If your motherboard is the same model, from the same manufacturer, it is possible that the new hardware is "not different enough" to trigger a failure to "activate". Did you take the CPU & the RAM from the old motherboard. I suspect that you are using the same disk-drive, and the same CD/DVD drive.  So, there might not be enough before/after differences to trigger the need to purchase a new Windows license.

> My nic shows 1000Mbps connection, my gateway/modem shows 1000Mbps connection (XB7), but the ethernet port is flashing orange on data activity. Should be flashing green for gigabit.

Hmm. I would have thought that it would show "green" for 10/100 and "orange" for Gigabit, and would "blink" whenever there is traffic on the segment.  Experiment: if you have an old "CAT 5" cable, which maxes-out at 100 Mbps, temporarily connect it to the computer & the cable-modem, to check the colour of the lamps, and to see whether Windows reports 100 Mbps.

Most rare a cause for poor speed is a Shaw "infrastructure" problem, affecting all your neighbours up-and-down your residential street. Ask them the speed in their Shaw contract, and what speeds they get.

I hope this helps.

Jump to solution

I live in an apartment block, but most customers here are...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

I live in an apartment block, but most customers here are on Bell/MTS. When I first moved in I was getting speeds of 900+ on the down side and 100+ on the up side. Ratio Bell/MTS to Shaw customers is approx 4 to 1.

Motherboard is an upgraded model of the same line, I had an Asus M5A97 R2.0 and I upgraded to an Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0, The only thing changed was the motherboard and the heatsink on the processor. The Ethernet adapter gave me the same speeds as I am currently getting. Thing to note the WiFi on my laptop is faster than the ethernet connection, by about 100-150Mbps.

Each core is 4Ghz (FX-8350) not overclocked.

I have the Shaw cable that came with XB7, Cate 5, i have 2 other cables Cat 6. All cables same speeds. If I connect to the 2.5Ghz lan port I lose major speed, like down to 150. All the other ports are the same 400-500Mbps.

No splitter in the apartment, no other active coaxial port, The TV is all Shaw HD WiFi boxes and the TV is rarely on as it is. So no data surges there.

Sorry for caps: THE MAJOR THING, WHEN WE FIRST MOVED IN WE HAD THE GIGABIT SPEEDS, MARCH 27 OF THIS YEAR. THE SPEED CHANGED IN AUGUST AND HAS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE NO MATTER WHAT I DO. (Doesn't matter on what time of day it is I get same slow speeds constantly).

March 28th speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/2c4f763e-f86f-4fcc-ba1c-c4838a896690]

August 11th speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11912950005]

Today speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/result/12019146413]

Laptop WiFi speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/7708001925]

Windows shows that it is still activated and not counting down to renew. Nothing changed except the motherboard and the heatsink. my SSD's and cd drive are still the same, as well as old ram. (yes I have an older system)

I misread the Asus manual. It is showing gigabit connection on ethernet port, the blinking orange just shows data activity. So from this point I guess I need to get another tech out here, this would be 4th one. They all state that the coax connection is fine on their little app they have.

Unless the Windows i have installed is corrupted and may be causing the issue. I haven't done a clean install in about 5 years.

Win 10 Home (64bit)
32Gb (Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1333MHz)
512Gb Intel SSD (Windows)
1Tb Intel SSD (Games)
2Tb SSHD (Downloads)
AMD FX 8350 - 8Core (running at 4Ghz)
Arctic Freezer 7x heatsink/fan
MSI Geforce RTX 2060 (6GB)
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Mobo
27" Asus MG278Q Gaming Monitor running at 2560x1440 resolution @ 144Hz Refresh
CoolerMaster Storm Scout case (3 high rpm intake fans: 140mm and 2 x 120mm) (2 exhaust fans 120mm)
Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset
Mionix Naos 8200 DPI Gaming mouse
ASUS ROG STRIX SCOPE Gaming Keyboard:

Yes I know I need to upgrade to something newer, but I don't have $2000 to put together a new system atm. (Yes I build my own systems). I have the parts picked out, just need the cash.

Thoughts with all the new info???

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I have the Shaw cable that came with XB7, Cate 5, I h...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@BvrHunter -- I have the Shaw cable that came with XB7, Cate 5,

I hope that you meant "Category 5e", because a "CAT 5" Ethernet cable maxes-out at 100 Mbps. A "CAT 6" cable should easily handle 2.5 Gpbs.  So, swap-out that cable for a "CAT 6" cable.

> If I connect to the 2.5Ghz lan port I lose major speed, like down to 150.

That is weird.

No splitter in the apartment, no other active coaxial port,

It's probably asking too much from a neighbour (also using Shaw Internet) in your apartment block to connect your XB7 and your computer to their coaxial wall-outlet, disconnecting all their equipment and to rerun the Speed Test.  Same floor? Different floor?  Maybe, it's the coaxial-cables inside the walls ???

> 2Tb SSHD (Downloads)

How much of that "hybrid" disk-drive is SSD, and how much is a "spinning" disk-drive? It makes no difference to your speed issue.

I don't have any other good suggestions.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Ya that was a mistype, Shaws cable is Cat 5e, mine are Ca...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

Ya that was a mistype, Shaws cable is Cat 5e, mine are Cat 6.

Don't know my neighbours well enough to ask them if i could do that.

As for the drive it was cheaper than a full SSD at the time

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

internet speed is ridiculously slow in new westminster

3cheryl3
Grasshopper

internet speed is ridiculously slow in new westminster

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- internet speed is ridiculously slow in New Westminster...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@3cheryl3 -- internet speed is ridiculously slow in New Westminster

That is a very broad statement.

Do you live in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building) ? Sometimes, the cables inside the walls are the bottle-neck.

Do your neighbours who also have Shaw Internet make the same observation?

When you use the Shaw Speed Test, what numbers are generated?

Do you have the Hitron cable-modem or the newer BlueCurve cable-modem?

What speed does Shaw promise in your contract with them?

Has your speed always been slow, or just recently?

Is your computer connecting via an Ethernet cable to your cable-modem, or via WiFi to your cable-modem?

Have you scanned your computer for computer viruses?

Note that Microsoft releases security-updates on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (which was 3 days ago). It could be your computer has "called home" to Microsoft, to download & install those updates. Installing those updates do slow-down your computer, until Windows Update has completed the updates, and has prompted you to restart your computer, to activate the new updates.

Physically, check that all the connections (such as wall-socket to coaxial-cable to cable-modem) are tight, and that the cable has no kinks.

If your computer is a notebook computer with WiFi, can you take it to a location where the "ShawOpen" free WiFi network is available, and then rerun that Shaw Speed Test, to see what speeds you get, when NOT using your cable-modem?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Same type of thing going on for me at my house, paying fo...

dsaf
Grasshopper

Same type of thing going on for me at my house, paying for fibre+gig, whatever that means.  It does not maintain above 900mb/s download speed.  The upload speed is good at 100mb/s which the plan says it should be at.  I know it wont maintain a 1000mb/s download speed but it usually should stick over 900mb/s, i contacted someone in online chat and they gave me the runaround about unplugging everything and doing a test on there end for my modem, they said something about a poor signal, i tested all my devices even 2 that were hardwired with cat6 cables and it was all the same results, low and fluctuating download speeds.  If this continues we will probably switch to a different provider.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I know it won't maintain a 1000 mbps download speed, b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dsaf -- I know it won't maintain a 1000 mbps download speed, but it usually should stick over 900 Mbps.

Have you ever measured a piece of lumber with a meter-stick and also with a yard-stick? Roughly, one meter is one yard. Different units.

So, when you see "1 billion" bits per second, think of it as being 10 times 10 times 10 times 10 times .............

Think of 940 as "1 billion" divided by 1024, divided again by 1024 ==> 953.674316

It is the difference between "base-10" arithmetic ("1 billion") versus "base-2" ("megabits).

So, if you see a speed reported as "953" Mbps, you are getting "1 billion" bits per second.

> paying for fibre+ gig, whatever that means 

Shaw promotes their network as being 99% fiber-optic cable, with coaxial-cable running "the last mile" into your home.

They promote the word "fibre+" as being this "hybrid" system of cables, and they promote the word "gig" (a shortening of "gigabyte" ???) to mean 10 multiplied by a high power of 10.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Did you get charged penalty for cancelling services.  I h...

kalpeshp158
Grasshopper

Did you get charged penalty for cancelling services.  I have issue with internet speed.  I have 600 mbps bluecurve modem.  

My speed on Lan: Cat 6 I get 89.8 D and 23 U speed

Wifi: 296.3 D and 23 U speed

They were telling $15 per month cancellation charge.  Is this correct?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  My speed on Lan: Cat 6 I get 89.8 D and 23 U speed. W...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kalpeshp158 --  My speed on Lan: Cat 6 I get 89.8 D and 23 U speed. Wifi: 296.3 D and 23 U speed

It is possible that the Ethernet network-adapter in your computer support 10/100, not 10/100/1000 speed.

Start the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to the "Performance" tab. The "network" display should show either 100 or 1000 Mbps as the current speed of your network adapter.

Also, it is possible that the "properties" of that adapter have manually been configured to use 100 Mbps speed.

> They were telling $15 per month cancellation charge.  Is this correct?

If you have both Shaw Internet and Shaw TV, the cancellation charge is $20/month for the months remaining on your two-year Value Plan.  But, if have only one of those two services, the cancellation charge is $15/month.

There is no cancellation fee for Shaw Home Phone service.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help