Jump to solution

Splitting internet for rental suite?

morepolys82
Grasshopper

Our home has one panel for our Shaw modem (top floor) with a cable that can provide internet to the basement.

I am planning on renting the basement suite out and provide internet access by plugging the basement cable directly into my modem. 

However privacy would be my main concern. Is there a way to split the internet on a single account, so the basement can still wire in a connection but be on a completely different network?

Or what is the best way to approach this? Get them to install their own modem in my panel upstairs with their own account (can I even have 2 modems on one panel)? Any suggestions would be great thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I won’t comment on sharing your internet with the tenant,...

rstra
Grand Master

@morepolys82   I won’t comment on sharing your internet with the tenant, because it violates Shaw’s AUP. If there is a coax cable in the suite, your tenant should be able install their own modem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  Is there a way to split the internet on a single acco...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@morepolys82 --  Is there a way to split the internet on a single account, so the basement can still wire in a connection but be on a completely different network?

Yes, but doing the following also violates the AUP:

1. connect an Ethernet cable to one LAN port on your Shaw cable-modem;
  2. run the cable to the other suite;
  3. purchase a third-party router;
  4. connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port on that router.

That router provides a network (wired/WiFi) to devices that connect to it, but those devices cannot connect to any of your devices that are connected (wired/WiFi) to the Shaw cable-modem.

Then, hope that the tenants do not do anything "bad" (spamming, hacking, scamming, distributing adult content) that causes Shaw to terminate your contract. It's not worth that risk. 

Get the tenants to get their own Internet. Shaw will run a coaxial-cable from their "demarcation" box (outside of your home) into the suite, and will supply a cable-modem to connect to that cable, because Shaw wants monthly income from the tenants, even if it takes a service technician to run that coaxial-cable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

I won’t comment on sharing your internet with the tenant,...

rstra
Grand Master

@morepolys82   I won’t comment on sharing your internet with the tenant, because it violates Shaw’s AUP. If there is a coax cable in the suite, your tenant should be able install their own modem.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Perfect thanks! I was trying to find the contract agreeme...

morepolys82
Grasshopper

Perfect thanks! I was trying to find the contract agreement where this was stated. Thanks for the clarification! 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  Is there a way to split the internet on a single acco...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@morepolys82 --  Is there a way to split the internet on a single account, so the basement can still wire in a connection but be on a completely different network?

Yes, but doing the following also violates the AUP:

1. connect an Ethernet cable to one LAN port on your Shaw cable-modem;
  2. run the cable to the other suite;
  3. purchase a third-party router;
  4. connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port on that router.

That router provides a network (wired/WiFi) to devices that connect to it, but those devices cannot connect to any of your devices that are connected (wired/WiFi) to the Shaw cable-modem.

Then, hope that the tenants do not do anything "bad" (spamming, hacking, scamming, distributing adult content) that causes Shaw to terminate your contract. It's not worth that risk. 

Get the tenants to get their own Internet. Shaw will run a coaxial-cable from their "demarcation" box (outside of your home) into the suite, and will supply a cable-modem to connect to that cable, because Shaw wants monthly income from the tenants, even if it takes a service technician to run that coaxial-cable.

TALK TO US
We're here to help