Spotty to No Wifi

Cherylltl
Grasshopper

Now we have gone from constantly dropping wifi/TV service to NO service!!! 
We have to wait another week to have someone look at the main on our street? Very tired and frustrated with this BlueCurve system and just want to go back to wired.

We have now been dealing with this for over a month! After all the chats, 2 tech visits and now another ticket for the street main to be ‘fixed’. Funny how the neighbours on Shaw, but not BlueCurve, seem to be still seeing their stuff working!!!!!!

Labels (2)
4 Replies

Sick of seeing this instead of a working TV.

Cherylltl
Grasshopper

Sick of seeing this instead of a working TV.

image.jpg

0 Kudos

-- NO service!!!  We have to wait another week to have so...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Cherylltl -- NO service!!!  We have to wait another week to have someone look at the main on our street?

I expect that any business (BC Hydro, Shaw, Natural Gas) would give a "no service" report higher priority than "one week". Contact Shaw again, to press them to do better, and to get them to remotely logon to your BlueCurve, to check "signal-strength", and other values.

Don't forget to demand a credit for each "no service" day.

> Very tired and frustrated with this BlueCurve system and just want to go back to wired.

The BlueCurve  is "wired", by coaxial cable, inside your home's walls, and out to the telephone pole, and from the BlueCurve, via HDMI cable, to your primary TV. 

It could be a failure within your BlueCurve.  But, unscrew and rescrew the coaxial cable, at both ends: wall-outlet & BlueCurve, or try a different cable, to rule-out that possibility (and to tell Shaw that you have already tried this).

One person on this forum reported that Shaw found a kink in the cable from their home to the telephone-pole, that caused intermittent signal issues, as the wind blew against the cable. Another person reported a different reason, namely "too much tension on the cable", as requiring a replacement of that run.

0 Kudos

Hi there,   Thank you for your input.   No, they have eli...

Cherylltl
Grasshopper

Hi there,

Thank you for your input.

No, they have eliminated our BlueCurve modem, lines in our house and the line to our house over the past 3 weeks.  We had the line to our house dug up and replaced 2 years ago.

This was after many chats, phone calls, & 2 separate tech visits.  It was the last tech who tested our modem at the various points back to the main box on the street, to come to that being the ‘potential’ issue.

There is a new ticket (week old) with Medium status to have the main street box looked at.  So, I phoned again yesterday and was told that is usually a 2 week wait time, and I am only at week one.  My explaining that this is now almost a month from my first ‘chat’, had no bearing on their time to respond.

Since my neighbors are not on BlueCurve, they are only experiencing some slow downs, but not complete lack of internet or TV.

Yes, said they would ‘credit’ me for a few weeks, but that will be another call to customer service to look for a larger credit.

Since moving to this system 6 months ago, we have not ever exceeded a download speed of 75, and have been paying for 300 from the start.  I appreciate wifi will give you a drop, but it should not be more than a -20%.  (according to the first tech)

A few months ago, the wifi started being much weaker, the TV’s started losing volume, then freezing.  Then that progressed to complete drops of the service, on all devices, since it’s all connected via wifi.   This went on for 2 weeks, but usually came back within 15 mins or so.  Now this past week it is dropping every 5 mins and the past few days, out for hours at a time.  No rhyme or reason on the time of the day.

So, I believe that this is an issue with the BlueCurve system itself and that whatever is impacting this, is not also hitting the folks who are on shaw with other legacy systems.

Not sure where to go with this now, but I am thinking with everyone having issues, Shaw should step up and acknowledge there is a bigger issue. 

0 Kudos

-- Since my neighbors are not on BlueCurve, they are only...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Cherylltl -- Since my neighbors are not on BlueCurve, they are only experiencing some slow downs,

That is an indication of some problem on your street, not with your equipment.

Do you have any helpful friends/relatives living in a nearby neighbourhood? If so, take your BlueCurve to their location, with one of your WiFi devices, and temporarily disconnect their cable-modem, and connect yours. If you & they are on the same segment of Shaw's network, your device should connect. Then, test its speed, and see if you still get dropped connections. If you have problems, it is your BlueCurve; if you do not have problems, it's a problem outside of your home.

> Since moving to this system 6 months ago, we have not ever exceeded a download speed of 75, and have been paying for 300 from the start. 

If 300 Mbps is what you want, get Shaw to ship you (2 or 3 business days via Canada Post) a Hitron modem. It has WiFi, 4 Ethernet ports, no fan (quiet!), and it does 300 Mbps.

> I appreciate that WiFi will give you a drop, but it should not be more than 20%

Different WiFi devices use different WiFi protocols: "G" or "N" or "AC". The "G" will give you 56 Mbps; the "N" will give you 300 Mbps, and the "AC" should exceed 1000 Mbps. 

> I believe that this is an issue with the BlueCurve ... not also hitting the folks who are on Shaw with other legacy systems.

The HITRON modem is not a "legacy" modem, not quite yet. Check again with your neighbours, to ask their type of modem (HITRON versus BlueCurve) and their Internet plans (75 Mbps? 150? 300?) and what the Shaw SpeedTest reports. The more information that you can give to the technician, when they arrive, the better.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help