Stuck in loop trying to register an Android device on Shaw Open

abdba
Grasshopper

Hi folks,

It used to be that we could register Shaw Open devices by adding our MAC addresses on the My Shaw Internet page online.  We can't do that any longer and have to join a Shaw Open hot spot and register on device.  Which doesn't seem to work on my Pixel 7.

When I join a Shaw Open hotspot on my Pixel 7, I'm brought to the captive portal as shown in attachment 1.  I Choose "Free Customer Access" and get to the second screen - attachment 2.  I fill in my Shaw online credentials and try to press the blue "Submit device registration" button at the bottom but absolutely nothing happens.  Nothing at all happens, no other page loads.  No error is shown.

Phoning support just says to "forget the network" and try again.  Then sends me a link that brings me to the same page.

If I open it in an incognito window or Firefox Focus (using the same wifisignon.shaw.ca URL) then it says if I'm not using an iPhone (I am not) then to "click here" which takes me to a page that says to join a hotspot and register.  Which is exactly where I started. Hence I'm stuck in a loop and cannot register my device!

Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Shaw1.jpg

Shaw20.jpg

Labels (1)
7 Replies

same phone, same problem

isp_woes
Grasshopper

same phone, same problem

Are you over your device limit? Cookies enabled? https://...

rstra
Grand Master
0 Kudos

Same problem with my Pixel 7 Pro. only 5 of 10 availble d...

therealneal
Grasshopper

Same problem with my Pixel 7 Pro. only 5 of 10 availble devices registered. I have connected to hotspot, using Device MAC. repeated attempts seems to lock me out of my shaw account. Is it Android 13 security?

0 Kudos

Cookie settings are the default.  Tried in Chrome and Fir...

abdba
Grasshopper

Cookie settings are the default. Tried in Chrome and FireFox Focus. But it's likely some sort of security issue with the Pixel 7, Android 13 default browser that the captive portal automatically launches in.

And yes, I'm under my limit and I even tried deleting a device just to see if that helped - it did not.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

So what to do?  I doubt the front line staff at a Shaw re...

abdba
Grasshopper

So what to do? I doubt the front line staff at a Shaw retail store can help. Shame that they took away functionality that was working just fine - the ability to manually put in mac addresses online.

0 Kudos

Try creating a new Shaw ID.

rstra
Grand Master

@abdbaTry creating a new Shaw ID.

0 Kudos

Tried again several weeks later and now it "automagically...

abdba
Grasshopper

Tried again several weeks later and now it "automagically" works.  Perhaps Shaw changes something in the code logic behind that page - I did not change anything (same Shaw ID).  Working now.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help