Technicolor BlueCurve Modem Ethernet Port Issue

Kermit636
Grasshopper

I have been having trouble with my Technicolor XB6 modem for almost two weeks now. Ever since I have done a pinhole factory reset on the modem, I have not been able to use the internet on one of my Ethernet ports

I got my Xbox Series X and computer hardwired into the modem with cat 6 cables and that setup worked for the first few weeks of having the modem, but I forgot what my login credentials were for the webpage sign-in, so I decided to do a factory reset and go back to the original username and password.

After waiting for the modem to boot back up and for both devices to receive the internet signal, when I tried to load any webpage on my computer that wasn’t the login for the modem or the google homepage, it would take forever to even send the request out for the page I wanted to access. Doing a Speedtest from the google search, it showed that my download was 0.03 mbps and the upload was 0.31 mbps. While my Xbox was getting more than enough speed to play and download games.

Swapping the cables around made it so the computer got the fast speed and the Xbox had trouble even loading the friends list. But taking the Ethernet out of the Xbox and going wireless, I was able to use both devices at the same time, albeit not in the configuration I want.

The troubleshooting attempts I’ve done haven’t resolved the issue.

• Factory resetting the modem through the pin hole again and through the modem’s GUI
  • Disabling the firewall for IPV4 and IPV6.
  • Trying out different Ethernet cables
  • Power cycling the modem
  • Enabling bridge mode and disabling it
  • Doing the speed test on my computer after a reboot, I’d have internet for a tiny bit, to the point that I could see the download start around 300 mbps and slowly go down to the 0.03 mbps mark

I did notice on one of the factory resets, that the light on top was red for a while before it starting going through the normal range of colours. Which makes me think that the modem itself might be dying and I might have to get a replacement mailed in. Also I haven’t called into customer service since I assumed at the beginning of this problem that it was something on my end and not the modem itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also as a side question, would the issue with the Ethernet port cause a problem with trying to bridge it in anyway?

Labels (2)
4 Replies

My XB6 was doing something similar as mentioned here, alb...

Corbio
Grasshopper
  • My XB6 was doing something similar as mentioned here, albeit not under the same scenario.

Try checking the box in the Hardware > LAN menu of your gateway/modem for Port 2: "HOME SECURITY" network option and then enable bridge mode.

If your speed is back to normal afterwards, it's likely a problem with an updated gateway firmware not reverting values back to the default configuration file/image; similar to System BIOS images on laptops/notebooks (not desktops) writing to NVRAM on user changed BIOS settings after power cycling. Some of these values do not change back to default values even after CMOS resets. They require full BIOS image writes to restore default setup parameters again; a hardware programmer can often times be a requirement. 

Not to say this is definitely a gateway/modem firmware related bug, but it very well could be if the method above works for you.

-- I haven’t called into customer service, since I assume...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kermit636 -- I haven’t called into customer service, since I assumed at the beginning of this problem that it was something on my end and not the modem itself.

I think that contacting Shaw Support (currently, online chat has priority over telephone) should be your next step, and replacing the cable-modem seems to be the quick-and-dirty way of "starting fresh".

While you are talking to Shaw, ask them to enable a second IP-address for your cable-modem. There is not cost to you. Then, if you ever "bridge" the modem, you can have two devices that each will get a "public" IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server.

I have this exact same problem, 0.03 MB download on some...

garryslater
Grasshopper

I have this exact same problem XB6, 0.03 MB download on some ethernet network devices. Also have a Access Point upstairs and all the devices connected to that are 0.03mb download. WIFI seems good from the modem, if it isn't solid red. Been intermittently red for the last three days. I have a tech coming tomorrow morning to tell me my internet is good, but whatever firmware recently nuked my whole network. The modem might have a strong internet connection but I'm certain it's a hardware failure, I have changed everything out. I'll report back when I get a new modem tomorrow. 

0 Kudos

Confirmed fixed 0.03mb and ethernet network returned to n...

garryslater
Grasshopper

Confirmed fixed 0.03mb and ethernet network returned to normal on new modem. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help