I had the same experience. I received the box and decided...

Dexusalmonte
Grasshopper

I had the same experience. I received the box and decided to not go through with the service because when I called in for a tech installation, I was told they couldn't come om due to covid. I didn't want to attempt to install it myself. The tech told me to just send the internet modem back and the service wouldn't start. So I did. Fast-forward two months later the service i have two months of bills and I call in to figure out why I am getting bills. They said the service wasn't cancelled and now they are trying to charge me the two months and a cancelation fee for a total of $600. This is robbery. Do NOT go with their service unless you are sure you can install the internet yourself. BEWARE

0 Kudos

-- unless you are sure you can install the internet yours...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Dexusalmonte -- unless you are sure you can install the internet yourself ..

Shaw has online videos on how to do a "self-install", but it should be simple:

1. open the box containing a coaxial cable, an Ethernet cable, the cable-modem, and a power-cord,
  2. use the provided coaxial-cable to connect to a wall-mounted coaxial-socket,
  3. connect the coaxial-cable to the coaxial-socket on the cable-modem,
  4. connect the power-cord to a wall-outlet,
  5. connect the power-cord to the cable-modem,
  6. wait for the lamps on the cable-modem to settle-down to a steady-state,
  7. connect the provided Ethernet cable to one of the ports on the cable-modem,
  8. connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet socket on your computer,
  9. power-on your computer, and wait for it to fully boot,
  10. Windows will ask you about your network (private? public?)

Done. You should now have full Internet access.

0 Kudos

No the building I am in did not have a pre-installed wall...

Dexusalmonte
Grasshopper

No the building I am in did not have a pre-installed wall-mounted coaxial-socket. I wasn't able to install that myself and I was told that if it wasn't there then I would need somebody to come in or I would need to install it myself. I chose not to install myself. 

I was then told to return the internet modem box back and the service WOULD NOT be started. I shipped the box back to Shaw the next day.

Here is the real issue. I called back to ask why I am getting bills and Shaw stated that I did not call back to cancel the service. I was specifically told to return the box and the service wouldn't start. Check the bandwidth...no service was used. I simply returned the box that I received and I was never told by the technician I had to call in again to cancel the service. I was told to return the box and the service wouldn't start. So maybe train the technicians to specifically mention that customers have to call in again to cancel the service or train them to at least forward the call to whoever would be cancelling the service.

Now I have a $600 bill for something I thought was taken care of 2 months ago. The point is that I was lied to and told that all I had to do was return the box and the service wouldn't start. That is robbery.

-- as you are reading this page, scroll-down to the botto...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Dexusalmonte -- as you are reading this page, scroll-down to the bottom, and click the "Your Voice" hyperlink, to make an official report to Shaw about your experiences.

> the building I am in did not have a pre-installed wall-mounted coaxial-socket. 

Weird.  Did not, or does not?

What do the other people residing in the same building do for their Internet access? 

Are they all customers of TELUS, connecting via the wall-mounted telephone-socket in each unit?

Earlier this year, pre-COVID, two TELUS people came to my front door, and offered to "buy me out" of my Shaw contract, if I were to switch to TELUS TV/Phone/Internet/Mobile.  Maybe, that offer is still available to you?

0 Kudos

I will voice my experience.  Everybody in my building use...

Dexusalmonte
Grasshopper

I will voice my experience. 

Everybody in my building uses BellMTS. I wanted to use Shaw as I wanted quicker internet.

I am not reaching out to Telus. All I wanted was to not have to deal with Shaw anymore and move on.

I don't understand how I can be charged for something I didn't use and was told wouldn't start until the modem was installed in the grace period. I returned the equipment during the grace period and was told the service wouldn't start. I shouldn't have to get Telus to 'buyout' my contract when there was none to begin with.

I can relate- Been without TV since August 25 and can’t g...

Neil64
Grasshopper

I can relate- Been without TV since August 25 and can’t get a tech in house till Sept 15th. I plan to switch when I find provider willing to pay out Shaw penalty charges and can resolve customer concerns swiftly.

0 Kudos

-- I plan to switch when I find provider willing to pay o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Neil64 -- I plan to switch when I find provider willing to pay out Shaw penalty charges

This year, before the COVID-19 pandemic, two TELUS employees came to my front door, and offered to "pay me out" of my existing Shaw two-year Value Plan, if I were to switch to TELUS. I wonder if that offer still is available?

0 Kudos

Back to few years, When I got the shaw internet at Metrot...

delgerbat
Grasshopper

Back to few years, When I got the shaw internet at Metrotown it was a month to month plan and was free for any cancellation fee, Now I wanted to cancel my service yesterday I was  told I have to pay a $120 cancellation fee to cancel me service

1. No one told I was switched to Value-plan

2. The reason for cancelling my service is the internet speed

I have complained a million times about my speed provided screenshots (best I can do)
The point was just wanted to cancel bad service without any cancellation fee

0 Kudos

--  I was  told I have to pay a $120 cancellation fee to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@delgerbat --  I was  told I have to pay a $120 cancellation fee to cancel me service

That seems to indicate that you have 6 months, at $20 per month, for your cancellation fee.

> 1. No one told I was switched to Value-plan

Nobody in your household asked Shaw, about 18 months ago, to switch from month-to-month to the two-year Value Plan?

You can logon to My Shaw, and view all your past invoices -- each of them should have a detail-line for the Value Plan.

> 2. The reason for cancelling my service is the internet speed

What speed are you paying for? See your invoices.

What speed does the Shaw Speed Test show that you are getting, with a "wired" (not "wireless") computer?

If there is a significant difference, contact Shaw Support (currently, online chat has priority over telephone), and ask them to trouble-shoot. They can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal strength", and other statistics.

I was using Telus then moved to a new address where the f...

ROBY3
Grasshopper

I was using Telus then moved to a new address where the fastest internet available was SHAW.  When I called them and they sold me cable and phone as well, specifically stating I could keep my phone number so I agreed.  When I moved into my new address, the internet wasn't nearly as fast as it advertised, and worse, the shaw rep told me I couldn't keep my landline number.  He even gave me a bunch of reasons why I don't get to keep my number.  They also refused to send tech even when I specifically requested one, as they could see that the modem wasn't giving out good numbers on their end.  So they said they can only send me a replacement modem instead of a technician.  So the next day I called Telus to cancel my service at my old address, good thing I haven't done it yet because the Telus rep told me I could keep my number!  THE SHAW REP LIED TO ME.  I was livid.  I told Telus to come set up my cable and phone number.  They scheduled their tech, and my cable and phone was set up 3 days later.  I then called Shaw to cancel my services and they dinged me with a 23 month cancellation fee, 460 bucks.  Even though they first sent me a faulty modem, so I wasn't getting what was sold to me, AND the rep lied about the phone number, now they charge me 23 month cancellation.  The value plan is good, but the cancellation fee is quite scammy.

With the value plan you save 10 dollars a month, but if you cancel, you get dinged 20 dollars a month for the remaining months.  EVEN IF the quality of the product wasn't up to par.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help