Jump to solution

Un wanted phone call

MHH8
Grasshopper

I am getting calls at all hours from 250-999-5192 when I pick up no one is on the line and no message is left in voice mail. I just discovered the block spam feature but also that 900 numbers cannot be blocked. Can someone please tell me who are these 900 numbers?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

This is not a 900 number, it is a 250 number. The 999 is...

rstra
Grand Master

This is not a 900 number, it is a 250 number. The 999 is an exchange in Victoria but the number is likely spoofed. There is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to block this number 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jump to solution

This is not a 900 number, it is a 250 number. The 999 is...

rstra
Grand Master

This is not a 900 number, it is a 250 number. The 999 is an exchange in Victoria but the number is likely spoofed. There is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to block this number 

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply, I will block it next time it cal...

MHH8
Grasshopper

Thank you for the reply, I will block it next time it calls, I now know what to do.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- I will block it next time it calls. There is no need to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MHH8 - I will block it next time it calls.

There is no need to wait, especially because spammer/scammers keep changing the spoofed Caller-ID information. Also, they probably are using an automated dialer, rather than a person, to call your number.  But, when you do answer, there is nobody available in their "call-centre" to pick-up the call -- all their people are busy, trying to scam other victims.  So, you just get "silence".

On your Shaw phone service, you can dial <star><six><zero> and follow the prompts, to enable the call-blocking service, and then to add that number to your "blocked" list.

Or, logon to My Shaw, and add the number to the same "blocked" list.

Jump to solution

If they don't leave a message, just ignore it.  Problem s...

cynical1too
Grasshopper

If they don't leave a message, just ignore it.  Problem solved

Jump to solution

Apologies for posting to such an old thread butt the 250-...

southokanagan
Grasshopper

Apologies for posting to such an old thread butt the 250-99 number is indeed in Victoria BC but nobody has mentioned yet anymore information than that I have a little more insight, it is a number that is going out to those free app services in this case it's called text now.

TextNow™ will give you a number and you can make free text messages and voice calls you can even set up free voicemail for your incoming calls on the 250-999 number.

This bag of numbers 250999 was allotted to the text now company I don't know how many they bought or how many they get in a bag of numbers but they have quite a few substantial number of these numbers with the that area code and prefix, I guess what the 999 part is called is the exchange, please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

So yeah I figured I'd mention that even though it's an old thread in hopes that it helps somebody in the future.

Jump to solution

-- I am getting calls at all hours from 250-999-5192 when...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MHH8 -- I am getting calls at all hours from 250-999-5192 when I pick up no one is on the line and no message is left in voice mail.

Yesterday, I picked-up a call from that number. After a few seconds of silence ("no one is on the line"?), it was an automated voice, "spamming" me.

When the message ended, I was asked to reply "yes" to a simple question.

When I said "OK", instead of "YES", what I assume was an automated voice-response system ended the call.

I then dialed <star><six><zero> and then added the ten-digit number to my "blocked" list.

... Melvin

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help