-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where v...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@yvdbrink -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteers try to help. 

This forum is not a direct path to Shaw/Rogers support [1-888-472-2222].

Note that this discussion thread has 4 "pages". Please take the time to read through the previous suggestions.

You are not the first person to encounter the issue.

0 Kudos

Have had this problem for over a year now on my laptop co...

Rico8
Grasshopper

Have had this problem for over a year now on my laptop computer using firefox. On the advise of tech support I deleted my cookie for shaw, which was about 1.2mb in size and I am happy to report that login now works perfectly once again. Do not delete all your cookies, just the shaw cookies. Make sure you know your login info first so you can login again once you have deleted the cookie.  In firefox go to settings, privacy and security, then scroll down to the cookie section and go to manage cookies. Search for shaw and then delete the cookie. I wonder if because the cookie size was so large it caused a lag time in communicating with the login server.

0 Kudos

wrote:  I wonder if because the cookie size was so large...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rico8 wrote:  I wonder if because the cookie size was so large it caused a lag time in communicating with the login server.

Probably not. 

You send your ID & password to Shaw's "WebMail" server, and it sends your details to Shaw's "authentication" server, to validate the information. If this latter server is too slow to return Correct/Incorrect, the WebMail server reports "unable to communicate" to you.

0 Kudos

So I had about 36 hours of no problems with many logins b...

Rico8
Grasshopper

So I had about 36 hours of no problems with many logins but now it is back but not as bad. Since Shaw gets lots of complaints about this problem, why the heck don't they beef up the speed of their authentication server??

0 Kudos

wrote: now it is back but not as bad. At what time(s) of...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rico8 wrote: now it is back but not as bad.

At what time(s) of day does it fail? Is it during times when "everybody" tries to logon (breakfast? before day-shift? Lunch? After work? After dinner?).

Since Shaw gets lots of complaints about this problem, why the heck don't they beef up the speed of their authentication server??

I believe that Shaw did so, sometime after the problem arose -- Spring-time last year -- when the error-message became very frequent.  Now, I get the error message only very occasionally. YMMV

0 Kudos

cant access webmail it says user an password are wrong ye...

cgh46
Grasshopper

cant access webmail it says user an password are wrong yet i do not remember changing either

0 Kudos

Hi Mdk. Thanks you for your comments.  I have been in the...

Rico8
Grasshopper

Hi Mdk. Thanks you for your comments. 

I have been in the internet business now  since 1996. We used to have usage vs time discussions back in the 90's until about 2010 when customer volume rarely became an issue unless there was faulty equipment or a software bug, which was quickly fixed.  A company the size of Shaw with huge resources and deep pockets, who don't mind  boasting about the fastest internet speeds around, should NEVER and I mean NEVER have and issue with volume lag on servers especially with a lowly email server.  You never have a problem using Google in the morning or at lunch hour. Of course not.  When volume increases you add more servers. You agree? The internet is full of concerns from  Shaw customers having this same problem for well over a year. I first experienced in January of 2023 myself.  I cannot believe that their IT department is not aware of it so I wonder again, why have they not solved the problem?  Do they not care? Maybe waiting for Rogers to solve it??  Maybe Shaw email will become redundant in the near future? Just sayin ...

0 Kudos

-- logon to the My Shaw Portal, and change the password f...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@cgh46 -- logon to the My Shaw Portal, and change the password for your E-mail ID.

It is possible that your ID has been "hacked", and the hacker changed the password. 

If Shaw/Rogers noticed the "hack", they may have "locked" your E-mail ID, forcing you to contact them to "unlock" it.

0 Kudos

wrote You agree? Of course, I do agree that adding capac...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rico8 wrote You agree?

Of course, I do agree that adding capacity helps retain customers.

The internet is full of concerns from Shaw customers having this same problem for well over a year.

True.  That's the problem with the Internet -- obsolete information never gets removed.  Sigh.

I cannot believe that their IT department is not aware of it so I wonder again, why have they not solved the problem?

Obviously, they are aware of the issue, and it seems like they added capacity to address the problem.

Do they not care?

They care -- at least the ones that Rogers has not "out-placed" do.

Maybe waiting for Rogers to solve it??

It is possible that Rogers ordered a "freeze" on the Shaw infrastructure, until Rogers IT department takes-over the day-to-day support.

Maybe Shaw email will become redundant in the near future? 

Maybe. Maybe not. If it works, why spend bags of money "migrating" customers to some other system? Note that Telus "outsourced" its E-mail processing to Yahoo, a few years ago.  Maybe, it was cheaper to retire the Telus servers & out-place some employees, and to then to pay Yahoo for higher capacity and better spam-filtering.

0 Kudos

yes

Laura288
Grasshopper

yes

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help