Just to clarify, my issue with Outlook/Shaw had nothing t...

Garth13
Grasshopper

Just to clarify, my issue with Outlook/Shaw had nothing to do with BCC-ing people.  I had ~15 addresses in the TO field and 4 addresses in the CC field.  (and I got back an error message saying it didn't go to ten of the emails...and their domains varied from corporate domains to icloud to gmail and others)

0 Kudos

I have been having the same issue for the past few weeks....

bamfordw
Grasshopper

I have been having the same issue for the past few weeks. I have a group email I regularly send out to 21 people. I'm currently using EmClient but I've also tried sending it out by logging into Shaw Webmail and in both cases 11 emails come back as undeliverable. Four of them are actually Shaw email addresses. After talking to Shaw I was told that group emails are now limited to 10 recipients which is ridiculous.

--  After talking to Shaw I was told that group emails ar...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bamfordw --  After talking to Shaw I was told that group emails are now limited to 10 recipients which is ridiculous.

Yes, it is ridiculous, and I think that you got incorrect information from that Shaw Agent.  Sigh.

Once a month, I use Shaw WebMail to send one message, using "BCC:" to just over ONE HUNDRED TWENTY recipients. If I try to send to over 130 recipients, I get an error-message, and NONE of them get the message.

So, for me, there is no issue using "BCC:". Hmm.

0 Kudos

---  Today I tested with POP3, IMAP and webmail. POP3: ev...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mike205 ---  Today I tested with POP3, IMAP and webmail.

POP3: everything fails

IMAP: some failures, some worked (one guy emailed me back, so I know one guy got the email)

webmail: everything (seems) to work

Shaw has multiple SMTP-servers, with different IP-addresses. So, the IP-address used for the POP configuration seems to be "blacklisted", while the other 2 IP-addresses seem to be OK.

>>>   50.71.21*.***

I  could check whether a specific IP-address is "black-listed", but I don't want to check:

1. 50.71.210.2 through 50.71.210.254
  2. 50.71.211.2 through 50.71.211.254
  3. 50.71.212.2 through 50.71.212.254
  4. 50.71.213.2 through 50.71.213.254
  5. 50.71.214.2 through 50.71.214.254
  6. 50.71.215.2 through 50.71.215.254
  7. 50.71.216.2 through 50.71.216.254
  8. 50.71.217.2 through 50.71.217.254
  9. 50.71.218.2 through 50.71.218.254
  10. 50.71.219.2 through 50.71.219.254

to try each of the above IP-addresses. Ouch!

Those servers might "black-list" my IP-address, for "flooding" their server with 2530 requests over a short period of time.

If I found that more than one IP-address were black-listed, I would not know which one was yours, nor the reason why your IP-address was black-listed.

You're correct in your assumption. Since talking to the S...

bamfordw
Grasshopper

You're correct in your assumption. Since talking to the Shaw rep I spoke with a couple of people within that group email who also use Shaw email and asked if they have the same problem when they respond with "reply all" and they don't. If I use "reply all" to a group larger than 10 the balance will bounce back as undeliverable.I went through all my settings with the tech and nothing is out of whack so I'm at a loss. If I send the email out in to groups of 10 there are no issues. I guess I'll just use my Gmail account for larger group emails. Luckily I only have two "groups" I deal with regularly.

i have exactly the same problem ...just started about 2 w...

phil1947
Grasshopper

i have exactly the same problem ...just started about 2 weeks ago.

One other thing, when the problem started for me about ~2...

Garth13
Grasshopper

One other thing, when the problem started for me about ~2 weeks ago, I was still able to send group emails out using Shaw Webmail (that's one of the tests the Shaw agent had me do and when it worked...they said it must not be a Shaw issue).  My tip for everybody...switch to IMAP as that solved it for me.

I swear that Shaw must have changed a setting or configuration about 2 weeks ago and that's why we're all suddenly having the same problem.  POP3 using a third party mail application and group emails are the only commonalities that I can see.  (it doesn't seem to matter if you use To/Cc/Bcc fields nor does it matter if you're emailing addresses at gmail, icloud, shaw, or other accounts)

One other item that was maybe mentioned already above...my error message said:  Server error: '450 GZk1nbYLQUcbnGZk2neyHR internal error. AUP#SMTP'.  From what I understand:

• 450 - Requested mail action not taken: mailbox unavailable (e.g., mailbox busy or temporarily blocked for policy reasons)
  • AUP - Acceptable Use Policy

So from my limited understanding, the mail server(?) thinks that we have violated some sort of policy?  Hence why it is blocking some of our emails in our group emails?  (I'm assuming that the mail server has some sort of security or anti-spam filters and it thinks our POP3 group emails are spam?)

Thank you mdk, I now see what you wanted it for. I didn't...

Mike205
Grasshopper

Thank you mdk, I now see what you wanted it for. I didn't want to post it publicly. Perhaps if you tried 210.(year world war II started, abbreviated), that would help.

Mike

0 Kudos

having the same issue, but happens with Thunderbird also....

trevorCgy
Grasshopper

having the same issue, but happens with Thunderbird also.   Spent almost two hours on phone with support agent and was told that  the limit is 10 addresses and when I pointed out (had to tell him repeatedly) that this just started happening in the past couple of weeks, was then told that they don't support Thunderbird and that it was to prevent spammers. I'd had enough of that and asked to speak to the supervisor then (that took 15 minutes to get her on the line) and she was adamant that they had made no changes on their servers.  She then fell back on the 'we don't support third party email software' and that the limit has always been 10.

We have also been a 20+ year shaw customer and like other posts have had no problem sending emails to a volunteer group.  

Clearly shaw has made some change. 

I also have the same problem, sending a group e-mail via...

winkler1
Grasshopper

I also have the same problem, sending a group e-mail via BCC, which I have done for years in Outlook.  I called Shaw today and the lady (who was clearing very far away in a foreign country as I had to yell at her to be heard) said she couldn't help me as I was using Outlook.  In my opinion, this is a Shaw problem, as they must have made a change in the last month as I've never had any problems before.  Such a pain, as my e-mail adresses are not in Webmail, and I prefer Outlook.

TALK TO US
We're here to help