Upload speeds are very questionable, would love some help!

AaronJP
Grasshopper

https://imgur.com/JvlBHKA

Shaw throttling internet - YouTube

So, your chosen speed tests shows I am getting the proper speeds, but every single realistic test that I use AND every application that I use personally does not reach anywhere CLOSE to rated speeds.

VnJuB7E.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

if you get sasktel fiber in saskachewan or telus you be a...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

if you get sasktel fiber in saskachewan or telus you be able to get better upload, just showing you my result from my fiber sasktel.  guess what they removed my testmy result grr.  i got 27 megs upload which is better than 3 or so you have.  

0 Kudos

-- at 0:49 into that YouTube, it is showing slightly fast...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AaronJP -- at 0:49 into that YouTube, it is showing slightly faster than 300 Mbps for download and 15 Mbps for upload.

So, if you are subscribed to "Shaw Fibre+ 300" and are using the Shaw HITRON cable-modem, you are getting what you are paying for, and 5% to 10% more.

If you have the newer "XB6" modem, and live almost anywhere where Shaw reaches, you can get up to 100 Mbps for upload. [Is that about the same speed as available, for about the same price as Shaw charges, for uploads via Sasktel Fiber ?]

Otherwise, that graph via TWITCH is as expected -- very fast to Seattle (Washington State) and Portland (Oregon) and several sites in California. Then, as your traffic flows across the USA, speeds get slower -- Arizona, Texas, Chicago, New York and Miami -- and even slower crossing-over into Mexico.

That is NOT Shaw doing any "throttling" -- that is the percentage-busy of the Internet "backbone" links across the USA, and the number of "intersections" along the way.

The speed to Toronto is not good -- maybe, your traffic cross-border goes to Seattle, across the USA, and crosses back into Canada near Detroit, to reach Toronto.

So, I disagree with your claim about "throttling", with one exception: Shaw uses microwave technology to connect from Vancouver Island to a few very-small islands to the east of Vancouver Island. Shaw admits, that this microwave channel is "saturated". So, to provide similar speeds to all Shaw customers on those islands, Shaw does "throttle", to equitably reduce the speed of every customer. 

P.S. what upload speed do you get when you send a very-large file into the Microsoft Cloud? The servers for that cloud are quite fast, and are designed for multiple simultaneous connections. Microsoft has one cloud-server in Edmonton -- our side of the USA/CAN border -- and another one near Seattle. So, the number of "hops" on the Internet from your location to either cloud should be a small number.

0 Kudos

"So, if you are subscribed to "Shaw Fibre+ 300" and are u...

AaronJP
Grasshopper

"So, if you are subscribed to "Shaw Fibre+ 300" and are using the Shaw HITRON cable-modem, you are getting what you are paying for, and 5% to 10% more." This is absolutely false, and you are either not speaking truthfully, or you didn't actually look at what I was showing in the video.

"Otherwise, that graph via TWITCH is as expected"
If you believed the false speedtest results then yeah, it showed I was getting the actual speeds I should have been. But I'm not an idiot, and I definitely was not getting the speeds I should have been. That is exactly what I proved beyond doubt, and frankly I could have, and would have proven more if it wasn't fixed as fast as it was. Throttling or not, what I was getting was unacceptable. You can agree or disagree all you want, but it was unacceptable.

The point of that video was to show real application speeds vs Shaw's chosen test speeds. I don't care if it was throttling or not, but I did absolutely without a shadow of doubt prove that throttling was highly plausible, whether you agree or "disagree". I do appreciate your input, though as I was well aware, it was absolutely on Shaw's end and they fixed it a few hours after I got in contact with someone willing to help me fix the problem. Whether it was throttling or not is irrelevant to me, as long as I am getting the speeds within reason of what I am paying for.

uZMc9jZ.png

0 Kudos

-- This is absolutely false, and you are either not speak...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AaronJP -- This is absolutely false, and you are either not speaking truthfully, or you didn't actually look at what I was showing in the video.

In the YouTube video, at 0:49, I see:

Capture.JPG

A "ping" of 7 milliseconds is very good.

When subscribed to "Shaw Internet 300", a download speed of over 300 Mbps on a Hitron cable-modem is good.

When subscribed to "Shaw Internet 300", an upload speed over over 15 Mbps on a Hitron cable-modem is good.

If you have a newer cable-modem (XB6 or XB7) and live in/near a big city, your upload speed should be 100 Mbps.

To make an analogy, if you drive your vehicle to a nearby shopping mall, at 50 Km/hour, you will get there, quite soon, but if you drive the same vehicle to a shopping mall in the next town, at the same 50 Km/hour, it will take much longer.

Similarly, you have demonstrated (at 0:49) that your actual Internet speed within your city/town is what you are paying for, but, when your computer tries to connect to a server in Mexico, it simply will take longer, as you have reported. Most of the "path" that your network traffic takes is external to Shaw's network, which only extends to a few cross-connection points in the USA (Vancouver -> Seattle/USA, or Winnipeg -> USA, or Toronto -> USA). 

Don't blame Shaw for the congested "roads" inside the USA.

0 Kudos

-- between your two "Twitch" tables, there is quite a cha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AaronJP -- between your two "Twitch" tables, there is quite a change.'

The first table shows "Quali..." of ZERO to "US West: Seattle, WA", while the second table shows "92". That is strange.

A few months ago, Shaw's segment between Edmonton and Calgary stopped working.  So, Shaw changed the routing,  from: Saskatoon-> Edmonton -> Calgary -> Vancouver -> Seattle to a secondary route: Saskatoon -> Edmonton -> Winnipeg -> Calgary -> Vancouver -> Seattle. As a result of the "doubling" of traffic between Edmonton -> Winnipeg, and Winnipeg -> Calgary, all connections that terminated in the USA experienced slow-downs.  So, maybe what Shaw fixed was some problem with their "backbone" network, which is noticeably good for you.

0 Kudos

Whether its throttling or not is genuinely irrelevant, li...

AaronJP
Grasshopper

Whether its throttling or not is genuinely irrelevant, like being completely honest. If its a technical issue then that is totally fine too. I have not and will not definitively say it is throttling or not, and I haven't. They said its an issue in the area and I'm content with that, all I care about is it being fixed so I stop taking damages financially because of it. I am a streamer so this is disastrous.

It was fixed but now I'm  barely even getting 2mb up average.

0 Kudos

-- now I'm  barely even getting 2mb up average This is wh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@AaronJP -- now I'm  barely even getting 2mb up average

This is where you should use the Windows command-line utility TRACERT to see the path your uploads take, on their way to TWITCH, or any other server.

Example:

Tracing route to www.malibu.com [205.178.189.131]

5   10 ms rc1wt-be40.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.68.18]
 6   14 ms six.as13335.com [206.81.81.10]
 7   12 ms 108.162.244.13 
 8 119 ms 108.162.244.130
 9 * * * Request timed out.
10  87 ms 209.17.112.34
11 * * * Request timed out.

Note that Shaw's network ends after hop #5. Any "slowness" beyond that point cannot be "fixed" by Shaw.

Note that as you can see, some Internet routers are configured to NOT respond to "traceroute" packets.

The more "hops" on the Internet to the destination, the slower the end-to-end connection will be, as you have experienced.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help