usage and speed

thejacquie789
Grasshopper

We have been following all trouble shooting suggestions with no improvement to our service.  We are paying for Internet 300 but the speed barely reads 100.  We have intermittent internet and when we have it, it is very slow.

We have been unable to access our Netflix due to the lack of downloading speed and access. 

We feel that there is a malfunction in the connection between the modem and Wi-Fi. 

We would like to have a service call to our residence to sort out this problem. 

Thank you

*Mod removed personal info*

Labels (1)
5 Replies

apologies for the delay in response. Are you noticing slo...

shaw-tony

@thejacquie789 apologies for the delay in response. Are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi only or are direct ethernet connections slow as well? How did your tech visit go?

0 Kudos

I have the same problem. I pay for 300 and get mostly und...

Nellybel
Grasshopper

I have the same problem. I pay for 300 and get mostly under 16 and even 10 or 11 (as it was yesterday). It can't even play an advertisement on my computer without it buffering. The only reason I renewed with Shaw was based on the service during the last month of my previous contract, it actually was in the 60 range and I believed it was fixed; but I was deceived. Forget that, once I renewed it was back down to 15 or 16 and mostly, can't stream at any time of day or night. I believe it is called "throttling" my internet speed. I am filled with anger and regret about Shaw doing this. They will not even get zero stars from me for their internet service. I am going to try to get out of this contract and try Telus (due to no competition). Lots of Shaw users in our building have issues with both tv and internet. It's very frustrating because I am well aware that the billings are always on time and keep on coming in. And no, I'm not accepting that it is my equipment, etc...along with all of their other excuses.

0 Kudos

Are you experiencing speed issues over wifi, or does your...

shaw-valerie

@Nellybel Are you experiencing speed issues over wifi, or does your computer have a wired (ethernet) connection to the modem? What troubleshooting steps have you tried already? 

0 Kudos

> We are paying for Internet 300 but the speed barely rea...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> We are paying for Internet 300 but the speed barely reads 100. 

If you are using the Shaw SpeedTest to measure your connection, you need several items:

1. to discard any network-cable labelled "CAT-5", which is certified only to 100 Mbit/second, and replace it with "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" cable, which are certified to much-higher speeds;
  2. to use a computer with a dual-core processor that is at least 2.4 Ghz, because the SpeedTest needs that much speed, to fully evaluate your connection -- my dual-core laptop running at 1.6 Ghz is not sufficient to report the maximum speed;
  3. if you're using WiFi to connect your computer to your cable-modem, your computer's WiFi adapter needs to be capable of high speed, because a Wireless G adapter supports a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 54mbps.

>  We have been unable to access our Netflix due to the lack of downloading speed and access. 

Netflix typically uses only about 5 Mbits/second.

> We would like to have a service call to our residence to sort out this problem. 

You'll need to telephone (or online chat) with Shaw, to book a service call; the booking cannot be done through this forum.

0 Kudos

-- since December 2019, have you moved, or are you living...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Nellybel -- since December 2019, have you moved, or are you living at the same location?

Do other Shaw users in your building still have the same issue?

Has a Shaw technician made a site-visit, to investigate their network feeding your building, and also the cable plant inside your building?

0 Kudos