Jump to solution

Verification emails being delayed.

andrewr2
Grasshopper

I have an account on Twitch.tv

Recently they have been asked that I verify my account when I log in.

The verification email they send is delayed just long enough for the auth token to time out(15 minutes to be exact...) making the code they send invalid.

Through my research, I have come to the conclusion that their emails are getting flagged for review by SHAW for whatever reason. I can post the headers if need be.

Their support says they cannot help me as it is occurring on SHAWs end. Apparently it is not a rampant problem but more users seem to be running into this problem as of late.

SHAW and Twitch need to sort this out but it is beyond my ability to bring the two together.

Perhaps some support staff here can get this sent up the chain of command to make this happen?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

can you DM me your email addresses so I can escalate your...

shaw-tony

@gt3000 @andrewr2 can you DM me your email addresses so I can escalate your examples up. Please send me the email headers as well.

View solution in original post

35 Replies
Jump to solution

> The verification email they send is delayed just long e...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The verification email they send is delayed just long enough for the auth token to time out(15 minutes to be exact...) making the code they send invalid.

Every 5 minutes, get TWITCH to send you a new code. My guess is that the 2nd request will not be delayed -- it may arrive before the 1st request. Google-search for "grey-listing" -- a technique intended to reduce the quantity of "spam" E-mail generated by spam-bots from reaching you.

> Through my research, I have come to the conclusion that their emails are getting flagged for review by SHAW for whatever reason.

How many people does Shaw employ to invade your privacy to review every "flagged" E-mail message?  None, I think.

> I can post the headers if need be.

Yes, seeing the original "Date:" field from the generated E-mail, plus all the "Received:" headers, would be helpful. Remember to "XXX" out any reference to your E-mail ID from within those headers, before you post them on this forum.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have tried having them resend the code however do not r...

andrewr2
Grasshopper

I have tried having them resend the code however do not receive it until AFTER the delayed one.

>How many people does Shaw employ to invade your privacy to review every "flagged" E-mail message?  None, I think.

I never suggested such a scenario. What I am suggesting is there is some kind of automation causing the issue.

Here is the relevant part of the header:

Received: from mi01-ssvc.dcs.int.inet (LHLO mi01.dcs.int.inet)
 (10.0.153.210) by cds233.dcs.int.inet with LMTP; Sun, 5 Apr 2020 21:42:46
 -0600 (MDT)
Received: from a26-42.smtp-out.us-west-2.amazonses.com ([54.240.26.42])
	by cmsmtp with ESMTP
	id ***************; Sun, 05 Apr 2020 21:27:46 -0600

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Andrew, I tried sending verification codes from my Twi...

rstra
Grand Master

Hi Andrew,

I tried sending verification codes from my Twitch account to my Shaw email and it took exactly 15 minutes to arrive. I then tried to send to my Google account and it arrived instantly, so yes, there is something weird with Shaw email. Not sure what to suggest other than talking to Shaw reps and see if they have any ideas.  

Jump to solution

I did initiate a live chat when this first happened but t...

andrewr2
Grasshopper

I did initiate a live chat when this first happened but that was before I sorted out what was actually happening.

The rep told me she couldn't find an issue and suggested I contact Twitch which I have done but haven't heard back.

I may contact live chat again but I don't really think this would be an issue they could actually do anything about.

Thanks for your input.

Perhaps you could smash that "Me Too" button if you haven't already? Hopefully, this post will catch someone higher up's attention.

Jump to solution

Hopefully,  or  see this, they are good and getting stuff...

rstra
Grand Master

Hopefully, @shaw-tony or @shaw-valerie see this, they are good and getting stuff like this escalated.

@andrewr2 wrote:

I did initiate a live chat when this first happened but that was before I sorted out what was actually happening.

The rep told me she couldn't find an issue and suggested I contact Twitch which I have done but haven't heard back.

I may contact live chat again but I don't really think this would be an issue they could actually do anything about.

Thanks for your input.

Perhaps you could smash that "Me Too" button if you haven't already? Hopefully, this post will catch someone higher up's attention.

Jump to solution

After a google search, I stumbled across this thread.  I...

gt3000
Grasshopper

After a google search, I stumbled across this thread.  I am also having this exact same problem with my Twitch login and Shaw email.  I've been trying for 2 weeks to get back into my Twitch account.  All my verification codes from no-reply@twitch.tv have been delayed.  By the time I put in the code, it already expired.  Been resending and resending the code.  All get delayed. 

Never had this issue with other verification codes from other sites.

Jump to solution

Hey Andrewr2, A couple of troubleshooting things that I t...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

Hey Andrewr2,

A couple of troubleshooting things that I thought of trying. I myself do not use my shaw email for Twitch and am unable to try.

In my webmail, I noticed that there is a setting of how frequently the mailbox refreshes if this is set to any length of time that will definitely slow down the time it takes to receive an email. Perhaps try setting this to "As new mail arrives" and try again.

Mail.png

Another thing to try would be to set-up a filter specifically for Twitch. And have the checkmark on "Do not process additional filters".

I apologize that I am unable to test any of my theories before posting 😞

If you try these let us know the results.

Jump to solution

hmm, this is certainly odd for the delay. If you send you...

shaw-tony

@andrewr2 @gt3000 @rstra hmm, this is certainly odd for the delay. If you send yourself a test email, are there any delays? Please give @SP3CTRYS settings/filter a try to see if it speeds up the process. If it's still an issue, I'd be happy to help escalate this to our email engineers.

Jump to solution

> Sun,  5 Apr 2020 21:42:46 -0600 (MDT) > Sun, 05 April 2...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Sun,  5 Apr 2020 21:42:46 -0600 (MDT)

> Sun, 05 April 2020 21:27:46 -0600

Weird that it is EXACTLY 15 minutes.

As the Other Person suggests, force your E-mail client to "refresh" your inbox, every few minutes.

TALK TO US
We're here to help