Which wifi extenders work with BlueCurve?

PurpleRaven
Grasshopper

Because of the layout of the house, it appears that BlueCurve doesn't reach everywhere, and I need to add a wifi extender. Am thinking of a NetGear WiFi RangeExtender (EX3700) and wonder whether there might be an issues with it and BlueCurve.

Appreciate any thoughts and experiences.

Labels (1)
57 Replies

Can you buy one from a store that offers a "no-questions-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Can you buy one from a store that offers a "no-questions-asked-money-back-guarantee", and try it?

I use a HP keyboard and a Microsoft mouse with my DELL desktop computer, and I have no issues among the 3 companies.  So, I expect that there will NOT be any problems between the BlueCurve hardware (not manufactured by Shaw) and the extender (not manufactured by Shaw).

I was looking at the Netgear extenders, but was reading a...

CarlM
Grasshopper

I was looking at the Netgear extenders, but was reading about how they change the devices' mac addresses when they pass through the extender. I am pretty sure this will mess up the BlueCurve management features.  If you try it, please let us know how it works. 

0 Kudos

BlueCurve pods are available to extend your wifi range. W...

shaw-valerie

@PurpleRaven BlueCurve pods are available to extend your wifi range. We do have any officially recommended third-party solutions, but if that's what you're looking for hopefully some other members can chime in with what options are working for them! 

Thank you. I know you do - it is just that at $10/month,...

PurpleRaven
Grasshopper

Thank you. I know you do - it is just that at $10/month, it very quickly accumulates to a significant amount... 😞

Further update

PurpleRaven
Grasshopper

So, an update. Just got 2 TP-Link AC1750 Wi-Fi extenders, and just installed the first one. Installation quick, seems to work like a charm after about 5 min process. Now am off to setting up the second one...

what is your suggestion on an extender for Ontario reside...

MStraight
Grasshopper

what is your suggestion on an extender for Ontario residents, where pods are not available? 

0 Kudos

There isn't a specific brand or model that we would endor...

shaw-valerie

@MStraight There isn't a specific brand or model that we would endorse, the original poster in this thread indicated the TP Link was working for them. An electronics retailer in your area that sells this equipment would likely be able to make some suggestions as to which devices they recommend. 

0 Kudos

I agree that $10/month adds up.  I opted to get a Netgear...

Extendio
Grasshopper

I agree that $10/month adds up.  I opted to get a Netgear WiFi Range Extender EX2700 for $36.95+GST from BestBuy.   So far I'm pleased with the WiFi quality - and the price!

Though Shaw's BlueCurve box does not support WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) for one click set up, you can easily add the EX2700 to your home network and extended your WiFi.  Set up took me 2 minutes.

I'm sure Shaw's WiFi PODS and mesh network are a 'Cadillac', but for my purposes - supporting a single Blink XT2 WiFi security camera in my detached garage, about 70 feet from the Shaw BlueCurve WiFi gateway -  I'm happy with my 'Hyundai'. 

How did you set this up? I have that extender and would r...

Dave551
Grasshopper

@PurpleRaven  How did you set this up? I have that extender and would rather use it as I already own it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have the instructions anywhere here. Thanks.

TALK TO US
We're here to help