Why such slow upload?

kombi
Grasshopper

I'm on shaw 150
No real issue- at this time recorded
145-170 download speed, and 14-16 mbs upload...

BUT why such slow upload?
Even with shaw 300 why is upload limited to 20mbs????

If I switch to Telus 300 $55 for 6 months $110 2 year term
Its 300 upload 300 download.

Why such a difference?

Labels (1)
27 Replies

Re: Why such slow upload?

mrcallahan
Grasshopper

This is a technology limitation, SHAW is using DOCSIS cable modems for their Internet delivery to customers. You can check out the details here:

DOCSIS - Wikipedia 

DOSIS, by design, has limited upload rates due to the number of frequency channels associated to the upstream. ISP's can choose how much to use within the capabilities of each version. This problems goes away in the latest version, but it'll be a while before their whole infrastructure is upgraded to support it.

kombi
Grasshopper

Shame, I've verified with friends that even telus 150 has upload and download in the 170 range.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Telus PureFibre is only available in very limited areas compared to their bonded services, or Shaw's cable services. That's the serious downside. If PureFibre is available in your area, I highly recommend switching away from Shaw as their service is inferior in price AND performance.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

To quote the official Shaw statement...

Why aren't upload speeds changing?

• Our upload speeds are designed to meet the needs of the vast majority of our customers. The current upload speeds for these tiers are more than sufficient for the average user.

Because the 'average' user doesn't use that much upload speed, considering when 150 and 300 get bumped to 300 and 600 in the next month, the up:down ratio gets much worse.

The power users on the highest offered plans..  Shaw doesn't care.

That being said..  If PureFiber 300/300 or faster is available, why are you still on Shaw?  lol  I'm already operating full time on a VPN for static IPs, the stupid amount of port-blocking that Telus does wouldn't bother me.  Their business plans aren't that much more either.  The biggest issue is the 1TB data transfer..  It can be a PITA to get Telus' unlimited data option added, but still possible.

I like Shaw's TV service better, but PureFiber internet..  No hesitation..

Not applicable

I can't wait to jump to TELUS PureFiber when its in my area next spring. Just got bumped up in speed with Shaw but again...such a pathetic upload speed once again. You would think they would at least keep the same upload/download ratio when they bumped up the speed, but of course not, why try to please the consumer. Shaw is so far behind it will take a decade to catch up to the rest of the Canada's ISP's for Proper bandwidth needs.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

There's going to be some limitation, regardless of how its allocated. The disparity between downstream bandwidth and upstream bandwidth- as well as the overall limitation for both- is partly due to how DOCSIS technology works, and partly due to things like spectrum availability and hardware.

polybius
Grasshopper

If anybody in charge at Shaw is reading these, I would much rather have 150/150 than the 300/15 I just got upgraded to. More and more people want a higher upstream for streaming and other things. If I had Telus fiber in my neighbourhood, I would seriously consider switching (even if I hate that Telus blocks a bunch of ports). Shaw, don't make it easy for me to switch!

polybius
Grasshopper

Yes, I did read about that. What I'm saying is Shaw needs to update their technology so that they can compete with Telus in that area. I know lots of people that would love to have a higher upstream and Shaw is going to lose more and more business to Telus because of that limitation.

Not applicable

Yeah..  I'm in the middle of a 200GB transfer right now.. 

Remember when the 'Digitial upgrade' push was happening 5-7 years ago, removing the analog basic channels, requiring STB for basic, one of the promises was faster upload speeds..  This never happened..  lol  Of course requiring the STB for 'basic' was BS to begin with..  TVs can decode digital clear (non-encrypted) channels on their own..

Rant over..  Argh Shaw..  I need faster upload speeds!  Please at least offer 10:1 down:up..

TALK TO US
We're here to help