Actually there was a massive upgrade to the infrastructur...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk Actually there was a massive upgrade to the infrastructure to handle the new speeds, Shaw is now completing there return band upgrade to increase those speeds.

0 Kudos

-- but, for the Shaw customer, all those "Internet NNN" p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- but, for the Shaw customer, all those "Internet NNN" plans have been "grandfathered". When they switch from month-by-month to a Value Plan, or when they attempt to renew an expiring Value Plan, they will be switched to a plan with the "Fibre+" name, with no other changes -- no new wiring, no new cable-modem, but probably a new, higher, price.

Are existing customers on an "Internet NNN" plan serviced by that "massive upgrade to the infrastructure", even while staying on the "grandfathered" contract?  I think so. Got any evidence to the contrary?

Compare to a bride at a marriage ceremony -- same person before and after, but with a name change.

0 Kudos

--  Shaw is now completing there [sic] return band upgrad...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra --  Shaw is now completing there [sic] return band upgrade to increase those speeds.

So, is it a "technical" decision to not offer the increased upload speeds to users of HITRON cable-modems, or is it a "management/marketing" decision?

0 Kudos

Shaw doesn’t have a separate network each for Fibre + and...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk Shaw doesn’t have a separate network each for Fibre + and grandfathered plan, so yes, everyone shares the same network. Some of the upgraded infrastructure hardware include nodes, amps and equalizers.

0 Kudos

I don’t know what motivated Shaw management to increase s...

rstra
Grand Master

I don’t know what motivated Shaw management to increase speeds, but I imagine it was to remain competitive. As far as why older hardware isn’t included, I wouldn’t know.

0 Kudos

This is every night between 01:30 & 02:00 Mountain time....

Willijo
Grasshopper

This is every night between 01:30 & 02:00 Mountain time. St Albert AB

The cable TV box does a restart and boot.

0 Kudos

-- the cable-TV box does a restart between 1:30 and 2:00...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Willijo -- the cable-TV box does a restart between 1:30 and 2:00 AM Mountain time.

Looking at a Shaw web-page: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/tkb-p/service-updates/label-name/northern%20alber...

there was no scheduled outage in Northern Alberta, since June 21, and none in the immediate future days.

Early today (June 23) there was a non-schedule outage further east than your location (Saint Albert) in Fort Saskatchewan -- that outage has been resolved.

Do you have the older Arris Gateway TV box, or the newer BlueCurve TV box?

I have seen other posts within this discussion forum that seem to indicate that a nightly "restart" is quite normal.

0 Kudos

I have a Motorola box. And it did a boot at 02:00 last ni...

Willijo
Grasshopper

I have a Motorola box. And it did a boot at 02:00 last night. The box goes off and did a reboot and 4 minutes later I could resume watching TV. Why is this normal? Without a recording device, you lose programming

0 Kudos

It did again tonight at 01:51. Boots then something else...

Willijo
Grasshopper

It did again tonight at 01:51. Boots then something else then PSLd  & 5 minutes later my TV signal is back.

0 Kudos

-- please see the Shaw Service Updates and Outages FAQ. S...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Willijo -- please see the Shaw Service Updates and Outages FAQ.

Shaw plans their maintenance to happen "overnight".

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help