XB7 Wifi issues on 1gbps connection

gordon1111
Grasshopper

I recently got a XB7 modem and I have noticed a weird problem, Maybe someone can shed light on what is causing this. I got it delivered this past Tuesday but started noticing issues and Shaw dispatched a technician as I had Noise on my line. Thursday Shaw replaced my modem, Once tech left I had speeds on Wifi up to 750 MBPS. In the middle of the night the modem rebooted itself and afterwards got 150-200MBPS. I contacted Shaw Via webchat to ask what is going on and they said no idea maybe update. Later in the day same issue then I spoke to someone from Shaw and they finally were able to get the speeds up. Later that night I had a tv glitch so I rebooted my modem and back to 150-200mbps.  

Since this has been happening I tried to pinpoint the issue on my side and when I change the channel on my wifi to something like 44 on 5G the speeds are good. When it is set to automatic the speeds end up being 150-200mbps. Is there some kind of firmware issue causing this or something to make the modem go to that low of a speed? 

Thanks for any help regarding this. 

Gordon

15 Replies

I suggest you keep pressing Shaw. Ask for your case to be...

rickatk
Master

I suggest you keep pressing Shaw. Ask for your case to be elevated to engineering. Also, confirm that your XB7 modem/router was provisioned properly. This often gets overlooked. Depending on your gear, 750Mbps over wifi is pretty good, as long as it stays that way.

0 Kudos

I tried different things and as long as my modem is on a...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

I tried different things and as long as my modem is on a manual channel It is fine. when I use the automatic setting its fine for a bit but any reset or anything turns it back to 200mbps. now that is not bad speeds which most people would not notice a difference unless they were doing speedtests. This is why I think its like a software glitch in the modem as when it resets it goes to channel 36 but once I select different channel it is fine. Even if I select channel 36 manually it is normal speeds too.  

I have attempted to reach out to tech support but to be honest I am not getting anywhere. That is why I figured I would try this medium to see if anyone else is having issues and maybe someone from Shaw will see this as well. I only have wireless in my place so no hard wired devices.  

0 Kudos

Just an update. I chatted with Shaw support and the rep p...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

Just an update. I chatted with Shaw support and the rep put a request for supervisor to call me back. He called me about 20 minutes later and he is going to put this issue to tier 2 support. He recommended I keep managing my own channel for now, it could be using the most staple channel which could be slowest was one of his thoughts. The other thing I can think of is the modem is automatically selecting 20mhz bandwidth instead of 40 mhz or 80 mhz as when I select 20 mhz my speed is between 180 to 200 mbps.  

0 Kudos

I did install a software to check the wireless bands and...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

I did install a software to check the wireless bands and it is saying it defaults to 20mhz. I will just keep using manual channel. Getting this modem was the biggest mistake I made in a while. I had the XB6 for 14 months and never had an issue, It would automatically choose the channels and had no issues, The only reason I got the XB7 was because I thought it would bring higher speeds which it does a bit on the Wi-Fi side. I am starting to wish I just kept the XB6. 

0 Kudos

-- what WiFi device are you use to connect to the XB7?  C...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@gordon1111 -- what WiFi device are you use to connect to the XB7?  Can you force that device to never use the 2.4 Ghz band, so that it connects only via the 5G band?

Also, the XB7 allows you to separate the two bands, to create a unique SSID for each band. So, connect your device to the SSID for the 5 Ghz band, and measure the speed.

0 Kudos

I have only 4 Devices. iPhone 12 Pro, IPad Air 3, Apple W...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

I have only 4 Devices. iPhone 12 Pro, IPad Air 3, Apple Watch and Asus Laptop. 

I also tried splitting the wifi signals and it does not help. The thing that it seems to be doing is auto selecting 20mhz for 5ghz connection. 

0 Kudos

So what I found out was when modem reboots it automatical...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

So what I found out was when modem reboots it automatically goes to channel 36 5ghz 20mhz. When I use the Shaw app and I change it briefly to manual channel it is good, then I select auto channel again and then it goes to channel 149 5ghz 80mhz. This is why I am thinking it is most likely a firmware issue bug. its like the auto is broken when device resets. I am just going to have to deal with this situation. I might down the road just purchase a router but it seems like a overboard being in a 1 bedroom apartment. I am wondering though how come the XB6 would not have the same issue. I did try today to see if they would just send me back a XB6 but my plan does not allow it. 

Evidently through 2 different technicians at my sister's...

BloodfartKing
Grasshopper

Evidently through 2 different technicians at my sister's place she's getting exactly 320mbps/down no matter what. It's this shi-ite modem. I suggested she upgrade to business as the service is way better and the modems are proven. If you're having the same issues, I suggest this route as well. I have never been happier than when I switched over to Shaw Business. 

0 Kudos

And pay $200 a month after promo? I would switch to Telus...

rstra
Grand Master

@BloodfartKing 

And pay $200 a month after promo? I would switch to Telus for half that and get gig/gig speeds, before going to any business account. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help