Jump to solution

XB7 - able to set DNS server?

dbiss
Grasshopper

Is it possible to change DNS server settings with the XB7? I upgraded from a Hitron which I was able to custom set to the DNS server of my preference... but I am unable to figure out how to do this with the XB7...

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, DNS server settings cannot be modified. Th...

shaw-tony

@dbiss wrote:

Is it possible to change DNS server settings with the XB7? I upgraded from a Hitron which I was able to custom set to the DNS server of my preference... but I am unable to figure out how to do this with the XB7...

Thanks!

Unfortunately, DNS server settings cannot be modified. These settings are managed automatically to help optimize your home network. You can view DNS server information in the advanced server settings https://bit.ly/3cqOJFD

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, DNS server settings cannot be modified. Th...

shaw-tony

@dbiss wrote:

Thanks!

Unfortunately, DNS server settings cannot be modified. These settings are managed automatically to help optimize your home network. You can view DNS server information in the advanced server settings https://bit.ly/3cqOJFD
Jump to solution

Thanks  ! I had thought that may be the case, but thank y...

dbiss
Grasshopper

Thanks @shaw-tony ! I had thought that may be the case, but thank you for confirming.

Jump to solution

Hey    Question for you... Is it potentially possible to...

dbiss
Grasshopper

Hey @shaw-tony   Question for you... Is it potentially possible to enable users to set their own DNS servers...? IE: if a customer chooses to not use the automatic default settings..

Jump to solution

--   Individually -- on each of your Windows computers --...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dbiss --   Individually -- on each of your Windows computers -- you can change the TCP/IP settings, to use your choice of DNS-server(s), rather than "automatically" obtaining the DNS-server information from the DHCP-server inside your cable-modem.  You can still use the IP-address & netmask & gateway IP-address that the DHCP-server provides.

Jump to solution

Thanks  . I understand this option but am hopeful of bein...

dbiss
Grasshopper

Thanks @mdk . I understand this option but am hopeful of being able to set it at the internet modem, as I had with my prior Hitron from Shaw. It’s much handier / preferred to be able to apply a universal setting there than on each device. I do appreciate the suggestion however. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- it has been mentioned in this forum that the programmi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dbiss -- it has been mentioned in this forum that the programming inside the cable-modem is done by COMCAST, not by Shaw, putting Shaw at the "mercy" of Comcast to make software changes. An example is the removal of the ability to change some BlueCurve settings via the BlueCurve's web-server, e.g., "port-forwarding", thus requiring the user to download and use the app.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for the insight  . I appreciate it!

dbiss
Grasshopper

Thanks for the insight @mdk . I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Changing DNS on Windows devices doesn't solve problem

DRedl
Grasshopper

@mdk I'm not sure why, but I have seen this advice pop up a lot in the Shaw support forums. Yes, it is easy to adjust the DNS settings on a Windows computer. We have 5 of those. 2 Of which are laptops. We also have 8 Android devices where it is less easy to change the DNS settings. Furthermore, since the DNS server I want to set is hosted on one of the computers here and is only accessible from within our network, I would need to change the DNS settings on the laptops and Android devices every time they connect to a network elsewhere (including cell networks) and then again when they return home. I had a working solution with my Shaw modem before they "upgraded" me to BlueCurve and now there is no way for me to implement a solution without buying additional hardware and switching my modem to bridge mode. This is not a good customer experience.

Jump to solution

-- the DNS server I want to set is hosted on one of the c...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DRedl -- the DNS server I want to set is hosted on one of the computers here and is only accessible from within our network, I would need to change the DNS settings on the laptops and Android devices every time they connect to a network elsewhere (including cell networks) and then again when they return home.

Is it possible for you to set the IP-addresses of multiple DNS-servers on your laptop?

Put "10.0.0.xxx" as the first entry, using whatever "xxx" works on your local network. If your laptop is "at home", it will connect to your own DNS-server, because it is listed as the "primary" DNS-server, and it is the one that you trust the most.

Put "8.8.8.8" or "8.8.4.4" or "1.1.1.1" as the second entry. When your laptop is "on the road", DNS-requests to the first entry will "time-out", and Windows will automatically connect to the "secondary" DNS-server.  Of course, this avoids using the DNS-server(s) supplied by some DHCP-server when you connect to a "public" access-point, which might be a good thing!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help