XB7 Fibre + Gateway is now available in Calgary.

rickatk
Master

This is good news! The details about this new modem/router can be found here:  

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/equipment-info-fibre-gateway-2-0-xb7/ta-p/29898

Labels (2)
22 Replies

Yes. I tried asking yesterday about getting it in the low...

Zenov
Grasshopper

Yes. I tried asking yesterday about getting it in the lower mainland near Vancouver BC. The rep said not available and could not provide any idea of when. But I'm interested once it's available.

0 Kudos

They wont be long!

rickatk
Master

@Zenov wrote:

Yes. I tried asking yesterday about getting it in the lower mainland near Vancouver BC. The rep said not available and could not provide any idea of when. But I'm interested once it's available.

They wont be long! Glad to see the XB7 is made by Technicolor!

0 Kudos

Hi there, have they made the account requirements known i...

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi there, have they made the account requirements known in regards to which accounts, qualify for the upgraded WiFi 6 cable modem?

-- which accounts qualify? From that Shaw web-page:...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sith -- which accounts qualify?

From that Shaw web-page:

Note: As of December 10, 2020, the Fibre+ Gateway 2.0 is available to customers in the city of Calgary.

My guess is that If you sign-up for "Fibre+ 1.5 Ghz", this device is the only modem that will deliver 1.5 Ghz, because it has one 2.5 Ghz Ethernet socket.  Hopefully, the network-adapter inside your computer is not just 10/100/1000, but it also supports some "over-1000" speed.

I'm in the same boat. I have 30+ smart home devices and i...

springbok
Grasshopper

I'm in the same boat. I have 30+ smart home devices and it is bogging down the xp6 router pretty badly. I've been eyeing third party wif6 capable routers but would prefer to not have to mess with bridging and the extra hardware sitting on the shelf

0 Kudos

I don’t think going with an expensive 3rd party router wi...

rickatk
Master

@springbok wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I have 30+ smart home devices and it is bogging down the xp6 router pretty badly. I've been eyeing third party wif6 capable routers but would prefer to not have to mess with bridging and the extra hardware sitting on the shelf

I don’t think going with an expensive 3rd party router will help with load. In fact that is where Fibre+ Gig is supposed to work well. Better distribution of wifi resources for our ever growing smart home apps. Turning to your XB6 router, have you tried some troubleshooting?  I found the Technicolor version of the router to work a little better than the Arris version. There is another option, the new XB7 is coming down the pipe and will certainly bring with it better performance specs. 

0 Kudos

I have spent hours troubleshooting slowdown/disconnect is...

springbok
Grasshopper

I have spent hours troubleshooting slowdown/disconnect issues for my Technicolor XB6 with Shaw's support this week. Just this morning I had to powercycle the gateway yet again because the 5ghz network slowed down to a crawl and eventually showed as "connected without internet" on both my smartTV and cell phone.

0 Kudos

Have you checked all your connections? Have tried a facto...

rickatk
Master

@springbok 

Have you checked all your connections?

Have tried a factory reset on your Gateway?

Do you live in a house, apartment where other factors in the structure may impact your signal?

Contact Shaw support directly? They will analyze your connection and Gateway state.

Something is definitely amiss!

0 Kudos

Yes I have checked all connections and have done multiple...

springbok
Grasshopper

Yes I have checked all connections and have done multiple factory resets. This was all while speaking directly with Shaw's support team. I've also be had them check the gateway from their end.

The last person I spoke with said if it continues to happen I should book a technician appointment. The problem with that is the router operates normally for stretches of time and it's not guaranteed to be acting up right at the time the technician is at my home.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help